A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Weird "Remote Key Lock" not working...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird "Remote Key Lock" not working...

After 85,000miles and almost 7 years of being on the road, my 2005 4.2Q has developed a new problem.

The remote lock function is not working but weird thing is that the unlock function still works normally.

This happened last night after returning from work so I locked the door with the key and the security alarm engadged without problems.

This morning, I tried lock/unlock with the second unused key and still the unlock works fine but the door did not lock.

While driving to work, I dropped by to pick up coffee, still the same.

Drove to work, parked at the garage and tried again, now it locks.

Went out to lunch and everything is still functioning normally.

Since it showed the same malfunction with the second key, I assume it is not the battery of the remote.

I searched all of the TSBs but it all mentions about lock/unlock malfunction but does not mention about Lock->Normal & Unlock->Malfunction and the problem being on & off.

Anybody have experience with this? Am I looking at a huge bill at the dealer?

I still haven't had any damage to my wallet since CPO warranty expired last year.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A4 to A8
After 85,000miles and almost 7 years of being on the road, my 2005 4.2Q has developed a new problem.

The remote lock function is not working but weird thing is that the unlock function still works normally.

This happened last night after returning from work so I locked the door with the key and the security alarm engadged without problems.

This morning, I tried lock/unlock with the second unused key and still the unlock works fine but the door did not lock.

While driving to work, I dropped by to pick up coffee, still the same.

Drove to work, parked at the garage and tried again, now it locks.

Went out to lunch and everything is still functioning normally.

Since it showed the same malfunction with the second key, I assume it is not the battery of the remote.

I searched all of the TSBs but it all mentions about lock/unlock malfunction but does not mention about Lock->Normal & Unlock->Malfunction and the problem being on & off.

Anybody have experience with this? Am I looking at a huge bill at the dealer?

I still haven't had any damage to my wallet since CPO warranty expired last year.
Did you already try a new battery?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you mean the car battery? or remote battery?

Remote battery was replaced end of last year and car battery has never been replaced.

Also I don't have the smart key option.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely replace the battery on the remote - that should do it!

Originally Posted by A4 to A8
Do you mean the car battery? or remote battery?

Remote battery was replaced end of last year and car battery has never been replaced.

Also I don't have the smart key option.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, the remote. Our cars have been known to do some funny things when the remote battery is low. It's a cheap enough to try it first.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, change the battery in the remotes. When my batteries were low and before the change battery in remote warning showed up on the dash board, my 2006 A6 wipers would go up into the service position. everything returned to normal at the point of remote battery replacement.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea low remote batteries can do some strange things. Mine worked fine for the most part with a low remote battery except the dome lights didn't come on when I opened the drivers door.. replaced the remote battery and everything is now normal.

Edit: Oh apparently these batteries have a shelf life. I had a brand new one in a package laying around for a year or two, that when I put it in the remote made things worse, like not being able to open the doors without pressing the unlock on the remote.. bought a brand new one and all is well.

Last edited by jants13; 05-12-2011 at 11:36 AM.