A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Well... the new BMW 5 Series (550i?) will get

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just saying the 3.0T probably compares well to the 4.2. Am I going to get a V10 engine some day, very likely. After this 3.0T, I'll probaly get an S6 or some AMG mercedes. I'm definitely an enthusiast and the 3.0T impressed me for my next daily driver. (I'm holding out on the S6 for now until the next Gen model and since we're picking up a third car for the family next year, a 2010 Carrera S.)
Old 06-12-2009, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gIzzE

Plus the 4.2 was showing 18mpg compared to 24mpg, and while it doesn't really matter I do like my 350-450 mile range, and certainly wouldn't want to go back to sub 200 miles like I has on the S4, it was not only a ball ache filling up every morning but it was also costing me £250 a week in fuel, which was $2000 a month at that point!
I did 100 miles on the highway last night. averaged 26mpg doing 75-80mph most of the way (I was running late and playing with an A5 3.2 driver on the way back). Looks like I'll get 500+ miles out of this tank of gas.

1 data point
Old 06-13-2009, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by landjb4u
I did 100 miles on the highway last night. averaged 26mpg doing 75-80mph most of the way (I was running late and playing with an A5 3.2 driver on the way back). Looks like I'll get 500+ miles out of this tank of gas.

1 data point
Sitting at 75-80mph I would expect 26mpg (US) I get around 33mpg at those speeds.
I mainly sit at around 98mph on the motorway, and those extra 20mph make a hell of a lot of difference to consumption.
But it was not the consumption that swung it for me, it was the lighter front end that made the difference. I have come from a 535d sport touring and a 335i sport touring, so even the 3.2 Audi feels nose heavy in comaparison, the 4.2 was just a little too much, for me.

The 4.2 tends to be the same price at a couple of years old over here, I think it was less than 1% of sales on the A6, it has now been dropped from the range completely.
I could have had the same car, with less miles and a couple of extras like airmatic suspension, digital TV tuner and digital radio for the same money, so I was tempted, just so I could say I had the 4.2 more than anything, but after trying both I preferred the V6.

I have an M3 as well as my fun car which also makes a difference to buying choices.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
You are joking right? Are you people really trying to convince anyone that smaller engines are better? Individuals interested in performance vehicles - for the most part - have little concern for the gas prices. These people mostly care about performance. The reason why some talk down on a high performance V8/V10 or especially a V8 Twin-Turbo is when they do not drive one. No 3.2 or 3.0T will come close to those engines.

My point is simple and it has nothing to do with mpg. A new 5 Series will have the modding potential to be in 500-600 HP range and we are not even talking about an M5. This leaves current Audi line up in the dust and sadly this lineup includes my S6.

Now again, I'm sure many have chosen a 6 cylinder for very good reasons... because the car is lighter, handles / performs better, etc... but the point is if you want performance the current Audi engines are outpaced by big V8 F/I competition.
Smaller engines are indeed better in many case, yes, and no I'm not joking. The reason why exotics have v10/v12 configurations has little to do with performance and everything to do with exclusivity and marketing. People who pay >$100k for a car expect something more than a 4 banger, 6 cylinder, or even a v8.

Smaller engines with forced induction have a tremendous advantage over larger ones that they're easier to work on and aftermarket parts are much more readily available. A cheaper platform means higher sales volume which is more attractive to aftermarket vendors for developing parts.

Rory
Old 06-15-2009, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
Audi better do something quick, all A6/S6 models are becoming underpowered. RS6 is not here and way too expensive if it was.
Dumb statement of the week on AW - underpowered and S6 don't belong in the same sentence. No-one needs 400+ HP cars - I can understand that someone might want one, but the S6 doesn't become underpowered just because BMW adds a few more horses to the 5 series.

60 HP in a compact is underpowered. 435 HP in a mid-size sedan is more than enough.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's not a dumb statement at all, the guy owns one for a start so he can say what he likes.

It is all relative, the S6 is meant to be at the top in its class, and it isn't.
I tried an S6 while I had my 335i and I have to say I found it lacking, if I had been given the keys and told it was a new A6 I would have been impressed, but considering it is a V10 you expect more. Well I did.

This is a forum for petrol heads for Christ's sake, what's wrong with wanting to push the boundaries??

Don't tell me, I bet you walk into your local Armani store and moan that you can buy perfectly good denim from Wal-Mart for $9.99??!!
Who needs to spend any more than $10 on a pair of jeans eh!!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, you do not need to quote me out of context... I was referring to current Audi line up of small engines... not exotic forced air induced engines. A 3.0T will never hit 400hp with simple chip and pulley regardless of what people would like to believe and it will not compete with high performance V8s out there.

Originally Posted by Rory
Smaller engines with forced induction have a tremendous advantage over larger ones that they're easier to work on and aftermarket parts are much more readily available. A cheaper platform means higher sales volume which is more attractive to aftermarket vendors for developing parts.

Rory
Old 06-16-2009, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL...

Let me know when you would like me to pick you appart on that one.

Originally Posted by Austin A6 3.2
Dumb statement of the week on AW - underpowered and S6 don't belong in the same sentence. No-one needs 400+ HP cars - I can understand that someone might want one, but the S6 doesn't become underpowered just because BMW adds a few more horses to the 5 series.

60 HP in a compact is underpowered. 435 HP in a mid-size sedan is more than enough.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gIzzE
It is all relative, the S6 is meant to be at the top in its class, and it isn't.
I tried an S6 while I had my 335i and I have to say I found it lacking,
The S6 wasnt meant to compete with the 335i, maybe the M5, but I agree, the S6 is lacking.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ok... ok... stop rubbing it in.

Originally Posted by The G Man
The S6 wasnt meant to compete with the 335i, maybe the M5, but I agree, the S6 is lacking.

Quick Reply: Well... the new BMW 5 Series (550i?) will get