A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-25-2016, 01:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

What is the best way to drop (lower)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best way to drop (lower)?

Hello all,

I just bought my Audi A6 with 19" CEC Style c859 wheels. The car looks a bit high off the ground. The car would look perfect if it was about 1" to 2" lower. So what is the best why to drop the car? Would like to keep the ride feel as much as possible.

Thanks for your time and help,
Nick
Old 08-29-2009, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

umm... using springs.

I have Koni FSD shocks and Eibach springs. I was considering get the H&R springs, but then decided to change the shocks as well.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
umm... using springs.

I have Koni FSD shocks and Eibach springs. I was considering get the H&R springs, but then decided to change the shocks as well.
Sorry, when it comes to car. Im a little green. When you replace the springs, do you have to replace the shocks as well?

What are the best manufacts for springs and shocks?
Old 08-30-2009, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have been reading and reading and it seemed that Coilovers were my answer to lowering my car. I just want to go down an inch or so. But looking harder, it seems that there is no options for coilovers for a 2006 A6? Is that correct?

If so, What spring and shock should I use to lower an inch?

I will post a Pic of my car soon.

thanks for your time and help,

Nick
Old 08-30-2009, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are plenty of options for the A6. I'd go with KW brand coilovers. Look for KW Variant 1 or V1 on ebay or other sites.

Never visited this site before, but I found a kit on there: http://www.uniqueeurodesign.com/Prod...tCode=10210049
Old 08-30-2009, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikegilbert
There are plenty of options for the A6. I'd go with KW brand coilovers. Look for KW Variant 1 or V1 on ebay or other sites.

Never visited this site before, but I found a kit on there: http://www.uniqueeurodesign.com/Prod...tCode=10210049
Mike, love the car. Are you using airbags to lower yours? What are you using? How is the ride feel on it? That is what I would love to do. But if my ride was to bouncy, my wife would hate me. I think my kids would like it tho...

Is the a place i can go to see the different options for A6 C6?

Nick
Old 08-30-2009, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Nick, I sure am- they're made by Bagyard Airride out of Austria. They're OEM Application-Specific Bilstein Shocks that have been shortened, inverted and then mated to airbags. Even with large wheels and thin tires, the ride is wonderful. Airride is a good option, but you're looking at a pretty involved installation.

The basic makeup of the system is:

Compressors x2 (to fill the tank)
Water Traps (to keep moisture out)
7-gallon Tank (gives me two full lifts of the car before compressors kick on)
8-way manifold (to raise/lower)
Switchbox (controls height)
Air Gauge (to check rideheight)
Airbags

I use an accuair manifold, which is part of the e-level system. It allows you 3 preset heights as well as all down, and all up. It's a position-based rideheight managment system so it will self adjust to keep the car level.

http://www.accuaircs.com/product_elevel.html

Here's a small write-up on Bagyard, and their passion for airride.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4480915

Last edited by mikegilbert; 08-30-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

The more i read the more quesions i get. Does any one use Struts on their A6? Is that even an option i can look at?

Thanks for all your time and help,
Nick
Old 08-31-2009, 01:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

KWv1 or KWv3 or HR are coilover options... maybe PSS9's are out for the C6 by now...

but i think your best bet would be Koni FSD shocks/strunts and Eibach springs. this is the cheapest way to go.

problem with coilovers is that in the rear you have to take out the entire coilover to make any height adjustments... thus defeats the point of adjustable coilovers with them on the car... but i like my KWv3s for their ride quality but others will stand by the koni/eibach setup
Old 08-31-2009, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jazznuts699
but i think your best bet would be Koni FSD shocks/strunts and Eibach springs. this is the cheapest way to go.
Thanks for the reply, helped a lot. But what do you mean by shocks/struts? Is that product categorized as both?

I would really like to know this difference by looking at the insides of both a shock or strut. I have read the difference, but can not visualize the difference.

Thanks,
Nick

Quick Reply: What is the best way to drop (lower)?