A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Wheel Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A6Gary
Did he tell you want the design flaw was, e.g., undersized, too narrow, etc? On some of the older models, Audi did change the front wheel bearings to a larger diameter, so maybe something similar needs to be done for the C6.
He pointed out the designed of the front suspension and explained to me what the design flaw was I forgot to be honest but I will see him agan later to have the MMI interface swapped out. I will ask him again and post back up.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by doglegleft2k3
I here this humming coming from the front passenger wheel but only at slower speeds. Bearing? Is this something that I can do myself or am I looking at a garage?
If it is only at lower speeds it most probably isn't a wheel bearing. Wheel bearing constantly creates loud humming, the faster you go the more the wheel spins the louder the humming. Sounds like you might have a problem with one of your tires, maybe the tire bead is over stretched? have you had a flat fixed or anything like that recently?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

mine was lower speeds and most definitely wheel bearings fwiw...
Old 04-09-2010, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am having mine done next week the noise is unbearable. Makes you think you are in an old airplane. Getting the bearings from the dealer for $149 a piece. Also doing a front pad job while im at it.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audisport1
Having owned BMW's and Mercedes I havent ever had such a problem in the past. Even my A4 didt have such a problem. An Audi tech explained their is a flaw in the design which makes them fail out as early as they do.
From my experience, I don't see C6 Audi A6's having anymore issue with wheel bearing as any other car maker..probably less truth be known considering the build quality but that's not to say an Audi A6 can't have the issue..especially if someone using a pneumatic wrench doesn't know what he's doing and over torques the wheels...happens allot. Make sure your Audi lugs are factory spec using a torque wrench..always.

Don't always believe Audi "techs"
Old 04-09-2010, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can see how that could happen but to be honest on a $55,000 MSRP car I would expect a little better if you know what I mean. That particular tech said something that did make some sense, he said it had to do with our local roads, living in Brooklyn and Staten Island there are millions of road imprefections including large potholes and road cracks so the terrible roads and lack of road repair contributed to the wheel bearings failing pre-maturely. I have bent my VMR 710's three times since I got them in November and believe it or not I am very cautious with my driving.

In terms of having owned other cars all I can say is driven on the same roads there wheel bearings held up just fine. My 1998 A4 2.8 went from 70k to 140k on stock bearings! That A4 was my first car which took a lot of abuse from driving it very aggressively, I was 16.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I can see how that could happen but to be honest on a $55,000 MSRP car I would expect a little better if you know what I mean. That particular tech said something that did make some sense, he said it had to do with our local roads, living in Brooklyn and Staten Island there are millions of road imprefections including large potholes and road cracks so the terrible roads and lack of road repair contributed to the wheel bearings failing pre-maturely. I have bent my VMR 710's three times since I got them in November and believe it or not I am very cautious with my driving.

Yes, a $55K car that came with FORGED very expensive wheels much stronger then after market CAST wheels. Bending wheels is a perfect example on why you need FORGED ,they also protect the spindle/bearings and from what I understood at Quattrofest, the Audi pro's made it clear..Audi *requires Forged wheels.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok lesson learned non-forged wheels cause your cars wheel bearings to pre-maturely fail in a little over 4k! I had the wheels on my car for a matter of maybe three months (had stocks on in the winter for the snow) in those three months I seriously doubt my aftermarket wheels have done the damage to the extent of killing just the front two bearings, I would say its safe to say the poor roads where I live contibuted to the damage. The bent rim (three times bent) was the front driver rim although both fronts (wheel bearings)failed on me.

I understand your agruement just dont think my cast rims caused damage that quickly.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I understand your agruement just dont think my cast rims caused damage that quickly.
You may be right. but consider the cast wheel... if knocked out of balance especially with an A6= heavy car plus damaged roads.. it can effect your bearings which you may not even notice till the bearings make noise..the 300 times stronger forged wheels is your best protection. BTW, you don't need OEM wheels although they are well made, many companies make excellent forged wheels..spendy but worth it in the long run with this type car.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I appreciate the tip! I was just about to buy

Originally Posted by mystrodo
You may be right. but consider the cast wheel... if knocked out of balance especially with an A6= heavy car plus damaged roads.. it can effect your bearings which you may not even notice till the bearings make noise..the 300 times stronger forged wheels is your best protection. BTW, you don't need OEM wheels although they are well made, many companies make excellent forged wheels..spendy but worth it in the long run with this type car.
a set of really light weight OZ Ultraleggera 18" wheels. Seems like there is a reason why Audi chose the heavy 7 spoke SpeedLine wheels for my A6. I guess that narrows my performance upgrade options to Koni FSD shocks with Eibach lowering springs.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing