A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

wheel damage by tire shop, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel damage by tire shop, advice?

I know this probably belongs on a general forum, but I knew I would get more responses here as I need to address this soon.

I dropped my Audi off to have the original full size spare 19" RS wheel mounted and replace a scratched wheel, with tire swap.

So I get the car home and I find that the original spare (new, with sticker glue still on it) had been damaged in mounting and then moved to a different corner to hide the damage.

The tire shop admitted that they had made the mistake, and my question is this:

The tire was essentially new. I feel that it should be replaced for this reason. The shop will repair the wheel, the damage is minor, and I am sure it will look like new once this is done.

Having said that, for both parties: what is the RIGHT thing to do here?

-K

p.s. damage is minor, a two inch gash on the wheel edge, cosmetic only. I have three repaired wheels that look like new on the car now and am generally satisfied with this approach, but right is right, so what do you think?
Old 12-24-2010, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait... what was damaged, the rim or the tire? You started talking about a rim, then the tire, and then finished talking about the rim again.

First, you have it easy that the shop admitted to the issue.

If rim is damaged, then I think easiest approach would be to get the rim refinished. Not sure if you will be able to convince them to get you a new rim.

If tire is damaged, then you need to have the tire replaced. You don't want to be riding on a damaged/repaired rubber.

Originally Posted by Kevagonia
I know this probably belongs on a general forum, but I knew I would get more responses here as I need to address this soon.

I dropped my Audi off to have the original full size spare 19" RS wheel mounted and replace a scratched wheel, with tire swap.

So I get the car home and I find that the original spare (new, with sticker glue still on it) had been damaged in mounting and then moved to a different corner to hide the damage.

The tire shop admitted that they had made the mistake, and my question is this:

The tire was essentially new. I feel that it should be replaced for this reason. The shop will repair the wheel, the damage is minor, and I am sure it will look like new once this is done.

Having said that, for both parties: what is the RIGHT thing to do here?

-K

p.s. damage is minor, a two inch gash on the wheel edge, cosmetic only. I have three repaired wheels that look like new on the car now and am generally satisfied with this approach, but right is right, so what do you think?
Old 12-24-2010, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

the rim was damaged, sorry if I was unclear. I've got to say though, new wheel dropped off, returned damaged, it's disappointing to just get it refinished.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Life Happens

Nobody;s perfect. If they offer to refinish the rim to be like-new I'd certainly live with it.