A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Wheel Question...2008 S6

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Question...2008 S6

So...looking ahead to this Winter and deciding that I would prefer to have two sets of wheels/tires (winter and summer).

Trying to determine what would be a good option for the Winter wheels. Obviously would need to know what will fit (ie offset). Not sure about using another set of stock S6 wheels - will they work?

I've noted the winter tires threads with a number of options - just hadn't seen this out there yet - anyone???

TIA
Old 05-28-2009, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got sets for sale, stock s6 and some 20's

Winter you would like to have a fater tire/nubby tire. If you picked up some stock wheels you could throw on some 40 series tires on there..

Might want to also look to some 18's as well.

IF you want to get some aftermarket wheels and use your stockers for winter I can flip my wheels for half what I just paid for them..2 weeks old.

If not I looked up tire rack and saw that they have winter packages available and probably have a full set at 17-18" for decent prices...good luck on your journey!
Old 05-29-2009, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Spent Fuel
So...looking ahead to this Winter and deciding that I would prefer to have two sets of wheels/tires (winter and summer).

Trying to determine what would be a good option for the Winter wheels. Obviously would need to know what will fit (ie offset). Not sure about using another set of stock S6 wheels - will they work?

I've noted the winter tires threads with a number of options - just hadn't seen this out there yet - anyone???

TIA
I went through this when I got my S6 in January. Since I purchased the wheel protection package from Audi, I was limited to OEM rims (or so I was told). At the time, Audi was running a winter wheel and tire package special for about $2,500 - $3,000 - 18" OEM rims with Bridgestone Blizzaks. Unfortunately, I missed the boat, as the packages were sold out by January. I ended up having a dealer out on the West Coast put together a similar package with Dunlop winter tires and the same rims in the original package, for a slightly higher cost. Would have been cheaper for a package from Tire Rack, but I liked the OEM look, had the wheel protection package, and was a little concerned about making sure that the rims were XL rated.

Audi will probably be running the same winter package special this fall / winter, so if you're considering that, I would wait until then. The rims that came in the package are the same 7-arm split spoke design wheels that are offered as the no-cost optional 18" wheel package for the current S6, but with a narrower rim width. Looks exactly the same, otherwise.

I also looked into 19" winter tires, but found that XL rated winter tires in the right size are scarce, to say the least. This may change for next year, however.

Just an FYI, 17" rims won't fit over the front brakes.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Tire Rack package is the best way to go. I did it for my '08 S6 and am very happy.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wizo2g1
Winter you would like to have a fater tire/nubby tire.
Just as an FYI. In winter, the narrower and smaller the tire the better it is for winter performance. You don't want a big wide tire in the snow.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chuckee98
I went through this when I got my S6 in January. Since I purchased the wheel protection package from Audi, I was limited to OEM rims (or so I was told). At the time, Audi was running a winter wheel and tire package special for about $2,500 - $3,000 - 18" OEM rims with Bridgestone Blizzaks. Unfortunately, I missed the boat, as the packages were sold out by January. I ended up having a dealer out on the West Coast put together a similar package with Dunlop winter tires and the same rims in the original package, for a slightly higher cost. Would have been cheaper for a package from Tire Rack, but I liked the OEM look, had the wheel protection package, and was a little concerned about making sure that the rims were XL rated.

Audi will probably be running the same winter package special this fall / winter, so if you're considering that, I would wait until then. The rims that came in the package are the same 7-arm split spoke design wheels that are offered as the no-cost optional 18" wheel package for the current S6, but with a narrower rim width. Looks exactly the same, otherwise.

I also looked into 19" winter tires, but found that XL rated winter tires in the right size are scarce, to say the least. This may change for next year, however.

Just an FYI, 17" rims won't fit over the front brakes.
Thanks for the insight. Good to know about the 17" restriction.