A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Who do their own oil change here? 0W-40 vs 5W-30???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 925 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckee98
I was told that, too (well, except the part about the "poor bastard"). Makes you wonder about ever buying a CPO car or a "well maintained" car off lease.
I guess my service tech was a little more colorful.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I guess my service tech was a little more colorful.
IMO, service techs are a good source of anecdotal info about weak points on a car, or how to best affect a repair. When it comes to oil changes... not so much. In many cases they still believe what their daddy told them (apply wax in a circle, oil changes every 3k miles) even though times and wisdom have changed.

Remember that these cars hold *twice* as much oil as an old-school American V8, and the machining tolerances and metallurgy is far better on all engines these days.

Besides, there are far too many variables for a service tech to be able to judge if the oil change interval was to blame for a failure, or was it the driver's heavy foot from *every* stoplight?

Lastly, we do know that the worst wear comes right *after* an oil change! The oil actually improves with age until it becomes saturated, then it declines. The quantity of oil that these engine contain increase the time until the oil becomes a danger, therefore the extended change interval.

I personally shoot for 10k-12k miles, or 1 year. 5k intervals waste oil and increase wear from all the reliable sources I've read. YMMV.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There must be a reason why the service indicator defaults to 5,000 miles, not 10,000 miles. I believe the reason is that the Audi engineers determined that the engine benefits from 5,000 mile oil changes.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
There must be a reason why the service indicator defaults to 5,000 miles, not 10,000 miles. I believe the reason is that the Audi engineers determined that the engine benefits from 5,000 mile oil changes.
The first oil change is at 5K miles, so it has to be settable for 5K. Good software practice would be to default to the smallest interval, especially if someone were to use non-synthetic oil.

I believe the Audi engineers have been quite clear. In all the written documentation I can find (Service Guide, Shop Manual) the oil change interval is 10K miles. I seriously doubt they published everything showing 10K miles, and then slipped in the 5K default on the reminder because that's what they really meant.

My old Boxster's oil capacity was nearly ten quarts, and had a 15K mile oil change interval. I did it at 10K miles. 5K just seems excessive to me, but to each his own.

Last edited by ex_boxster; 10-13-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ex_boxster
The first oil change is at 5K miles, so it has to be settable for 5K. Good software practice would be to default to the smallest interval, especially if someone were to use non-synthetic oil.

I believe the Audi engineers have been quite clear. In all the written documentation I can find (Service Guide, Shop Manual) the oil change interval is 10K miles. I seriously doubt they published everything showing 10K miles, and then slipped in the 5K default on the reminder because that's what they really meant.

My old Boxster's oil capacity was nearly ten quarts, and had a 15K mile oil change interval. I did it at 10K miles. 5K just seems excessive to me, but to each his own.
I'm on your side on this one. My original question was more toward how much gas would I save if I switch from 5W30 to 0W40. Performance wise, it's better for sure because the oil is less dense. Cold start would totally be better for this coming winter (New England area). However, I experienced louder knocking noise from my gf's A4 prior the oil change. I should have paid more attention to that + gas consumption but I only realized all those details after did the oil change for her.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I seem to agree that 10k miles about right for an oil change. My old BMW's seemed to have suggested oil change at 15-18k intervals - which I thought was way too many miles for an oil change (synthetic or not); which is why I always made use of their undisclosed annual oil change policy which most owners are not aware of. I can tell that around 8k miles or so the oil is starting to wear off.

Originally Posted by ex_boxster

Old 10-14-2010, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

So any Mobile 1 0w40 is good? The same Mobil 1 0w40 sold at any parts store? The reason I ask is because on my M5 I went and purchased the right weight Castrol once and before I put it in I called the BMW dealer and they said yes it is Castrol you use but it is Castrol German made or something. So just making sure the Mobile 0w40 in any parts store is good. Should I get oil filter at Audi dealer?

I just purchased my A6 and had the oil changed. Last time it was done was at 22k and the car had 30k so it was up for the 35k service. I pulled the dip stick after the oil change and I can tell you it was not clear. I called the tech and he said that is normal like others told me on here. I asked why and he said well if you changed the oil every 5k your oil would be much cleaner. The problem is the car has had the oil changed every 8-10k and the left over oil just mixes in with the new clean oil and makes it look dirty. He said a couple oil changes every 5k I will notice how much cleaner the oil is once the old stuff gets drained out.

So I just had it done last week and debating on buying the 0w40 and just giving it another change to try to get most of the old oil out and start clean.

Last edited by bud4ya; 10-14-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 154 Posts

You should only use synthetic oil that is labeled "Meets VW 502.00" or "Meets VW 505.00" standards. Mobil 1 0W–40 meets VW 502.00, so it is acceptable for your A6. You may buy the OEM oil filter (Mann) at www.germanfilters.com, www.autohausaz.com, or go to your local Audi dealer, which ever is most convenient for you.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As long as you are not buying Ebay Chinese made Mobil 1 0W-40 then you are okay lol... basically, you can get it in any store and they are all the same.
Also, don't change oil when the engine is cool. I normally change it right after getting home from work so the engine is still hot and all that craps will come out together with the oil.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Here is a list of the oils that meet the Audi specs.

http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Engine/En...20507%2000.pdf

Quick Reply: Who do their own oil change here? 0W-40 vs 5W-30???