A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Who has a TSBs on lagging transmission and long crank times

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who has a TSBs on lagging transmission and long crank times

Please let me know. My car is 40K miles but almost 4 years old. I want to make sure i get this fixed before warranty expires.
Is there any other issues i have to address? I have plastic rattle sound in the back too.
My car is 2006 Audi A6 3.2Q with S-line package.

P.S. Which is the best Audi Service dealer in Chicago area? Naperville, Westmont, Schaumburg or Orland Park?

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 924 Likes on 756 Posts

Here is the link to the KevinGary/Dr. Cold TSB library.

http://www.uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Audi%...TSB%20List.htm
Old 12-04-2009, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the rattle sound, make sure both rear seatbacks are fully latched into place. I had one that wasn't and it rattled... drove me nuts for a couple of days until i finally figured it out.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Ill check it.

Thanks. Ill check that right away.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank You. We will see what i can find.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is there a recall for 2006 Audi A6 on coil paks?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:25 AM
caf
AudiWorld Member

I have an '05 A5 3.2 I bought in Dec. '06 with 10K miles on it at the time. Ever since I got the car I've had occasional long cranking where the engine doesn't fire and sometimes the cranking just times out without the engine starting. Can happen cold or warm, but seems to happen most often when the engine is restarted after sitting for a couple of hours, moreso than when it sits overnight. The car usually just fires up on the second attempt. I've also found that if I push on the accelerator while cranking, the engine immediately fires.

Dealer has tried numerous fixes, and the TSBs, but never been able to fix it. I've proposed to the dealer that the problem might be the coil packs, but can't convince them to try swapping them out (no codes).

I also saw the recall about coil packs and am wondering if that might finally fix my car. I wasn't clear from the letter, though: are they replacing the coil packs on ALL affected cars, or only those that are triggering check engine lights (my car never triggers a CEL).
Old 12-04-2009, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the same isue. Thats strange.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've never heard the start issue described in that way. When I turn the key, mine will occasionally sputter as if it's going to fire, then settle into the starter just spinning the motor over. I've never let it continue until it times out, I just turn off and retry. It's almost as if spark and fuel have been removed, but the starter is still spinning. Next time it happens I'll have to try the accelerator trick.

It's going back in next week for its 45k service, and this issue is on the list (for the second time). Not that I expect any resolution.

Last edited by ex_boxster; 12-04-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the long crank issue or stall after start is related to carbon build up in the FSI engine. If there is a recall on the coil packs, you will recieve a notice in the mail. I just reiceved one for my 2005, they are sending out notices that there is a recall and will follow up with a notice when you can bring it in for the recall service. If you recieve the recall notice and have had them replace out of pocket, you can be reimbursed for the repair. My past experience with bad coil packs would not cause the start issue, it causes you to experience loss of power.

Quick Reply: Who has a TSBs on lagging transmission and long crank times