A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Wife's A6 makes a clunk under light braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wife's A6 makes a clunk under light braking

It's a metallic 'clunk'. Sounds the same as if you tap a screwdriver against a metal part like the caliper. It started happening a month or so ago but it did not do it when I drove it back then. Then, 2 weeks ago I used my powerwasher to clean the undercarriage (get rid of salt and stuff from the winter) and now it clunks once on every stop. Also, the car had new pads put on about 4 months ago. The fronts are Akebono ceramics. Any ideas on what I should be looking at? The car is an 06 3.2 Quattro and just made it to 20K miles
Old 04-11-2010, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

Normally I would say that is related to a bad control arm bushing or strut but probably not at 20K miles.

Is that really only 20k in 4 years?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes, only 20K.

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
Normally I would say that is related to a bad control arm bushing or strut but probably not at 20K miles.

Is that really only 20k in 4 years?
So, this control arm bushing, how do I diagnose?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did it start to clunk after you put on the new pads?
Old 04-12-2010, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default No, it did not. The clunking started about 2 months later

Originally Posted by The G Man
Did it start to clunk after you put on the new pads?
So, I really don't know what to think. Take it back to the brake installer or is this the bushings?
Old 04-12-2010, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

If a control arm bushing is loose enough to make a clunk then if you get the car up on a lift and grab each arm wiggle it you may find the problem. The noise could also be a bad ball joint (there are a number of them on this car). They can also be found by inspection on a lift. I usually inspect them when I rotate tires. Another thing you can look for is torn rubber boots. Each ball joint on the outer ends of the control arms and the one on the tie rod end has a rubber boot to keep out crud. If one is ripped that may be your culprit. Water gets in and causes the joint to corrode.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Costasz
It's a metallic 'clunk'. Sounds the same as if you tap a screwdriver against a metal part like the caliper. It started happening a month or so ago but it did not do it when I drove it back then. Then, 2 weeks ago I used my powerwasher to clean the undercarriage (get rid of salt and stuff from the winter) and now it clunks once on every stop. Also, the car had new pads put on about 4 months ago. The fronts are Akebono ceramics. Any ideas on what I should be looking at? The car is an 06 3.2 Quattro and just made it to 20K miles
I am expierencing the same symptoms. I own a 2005 A6 3.2L with 54K. It dosent happen everytime I brake, ptobably about 50% of the time. I wandered if it was a control arm bushing or some kind of ball joint. I just had my car in for the 55K service and had the dealership check the brakes, they couldn't find anything. I'm going to take a look at the control arm and ball joints tonight. I will update the thread if I find anything.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your culprit is the brake pads. They may have had a little room to wiggle when installed. So now over time it has had a little more time to give a little play in the caliper. I believe this is where your problem is coming from.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default It was the pads.

Originally Posted by kemer1
I think your culprit is the brake pads. They may have had a little room to wiggle when installed. So now over time it has had a little more time to give a little play in the caliper. I believe this is where your problem is coming from.
Installer, took them apart, put them back in and the noise went away.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, the clunking has resumed under light braking. Also, now i hear the same clunk when the left wheel goes over some bumps. Doesn't happen every time. Now, when the installer reinstalled the pads, he took the time to see if there was any play in the suspension components to make sure there was nothing else causing the clunk but he did not find anything obviously loose.

Quick Reply: Wife's A6 makes a clunk under light braking