A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Windshield Wiper Stupid State

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper Stupid State

I've had this issue with my wipers on the 2005 A6 which has been explained to me (and it is there in the owner's manual) as the way they were designed. Just sounded like a silly idea to me. Is this how they really do work?

When it rains, I make the decision whether to use the intermittant, low or high setting. My feeling is if I select low or high, that's really what I want.

With my A6, if I come up to a stop light or stop in traffic and I had the wipers on low, they slow down and begin to work as if they were in the intermittant state. When in high, they will "downgrade to low".

I was told that this was how they were designed and it is in the owner's manual saying they do this.

The problem is that when I'm sitting at a light in the rain, I want the wipers on so I can make sure it is safe to go (and so I can see the light turn!). Once I start to accelerate, they do return to the setting I specified. It's just the split second when you are starting when you wonder "are they going to wipe or not"?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, 83,000 miles and I've never once had a complaint about my wipers.

except they don't always wipe when I'm in reverse while pulling out of my driveway.

I leave mine on auto 24/7 fwiw. I adjust the sensitivity for when it snows.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I too have not had any issues with the automatic wipers and leave them on nearly constantly. At times I forget to turn them off before entering an automatic car wash and they come to life immediately... I also use Rain X on all the windows as well.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 912 Likes on 746 Posts

I put them in rain sensing mode 50 months ago and have not had a problem since.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by pierreb
except they don't always wipe when I'm in reverse while pulling out of my driveway.
Wut? Do they automatically come on if reverse is engaged (or do the front wipers have to be in "auto" position too)?
Old 04-28-2009, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

by rain sensing-mode, I assume you mean the intermittent mode, correct? That's what I use most of the time except when it's really raining. I've tried leaving it there when the rain starts but at times, the rain sensors kick it into super-high speed mode when it really doesn't need to go that fast. That's normally when I push it to the "always-on but low setting".

Probably just not used to the wipers going that fast. I have to learn to let the Audi do what it knows what to do.......
Old 04-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Cat Herder

one notch up from 'off' and adjust the small lever inside the stalk up to increase sensitivity.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Default back in '05 I posted same issue

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=22499485
Old 04-29-2009, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The wipers are speed sensitive, most luxury cars are like that. If I want a manual wipe when I am at a light, just turn the sensitivity to low and back to high again.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The rain sensing wipers drive me insane. They start speeding up to high speed even if it's just sprinkling. I'm hoping that if I just clean the windshield really well that that will solve the problem. Otherwise, I was going to mention it to the dealer. I have an '05.

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Stupid State