A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Winter Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Maintenance

How often do people get their cars washed during the winter?

I am leaning toward washing it a bit more to make sure and remove excess salt.

Any other winter maintenance that I should know about?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wax it really well in the late october time frame then run it through a touchless with undercarriage about once a month depending on how bad the snow is. Don't want that sale sitting up in there.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I put on a couple of coats of Klasse SG before winter sets in and then nothing touches my paint. Even after a ski trip with salt all over the body - all I need is a wash job (sometimes only with ONR) and it looks like new.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

If you were so inclined, give your paint a once over and look for rock chips. These are a great place for salt to get lodged and begin to deteriorate your paint and sheetmetal. Filling in chips eliminates an area where salt and water can sit and expand and contract. The fact that Audi galvanizes their bodies makes them far more corrosion-resistant than most cars, but they are not completely immune to rust some day down the road. Filling in chips eliminates an area where salt and water can sit and expand and contract.

Once you have any chips taken care of, several coats of wax should get you through the winter. If you have a good, thick coat of wax, a touch-free car wash will be able to remove most salt (like stroker351w said, don't forget the undercarriage). Here in Ohio, I wash my car every one to three weeks during the winter, depending on weather, road conditions, and how much I have been driving - but that's just personal preference.

PS: Don't forget a few coats of wax on your wheels!
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 10-01-2010, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by am_ver
I put on a couple of coats of Klasse SG before winter sets in and then nothing touches my paint. Even after a ski trip with salt all over the body - all I need is a wash job (sometimes only with ONR) and it looks like new.
this^^^

I usually do a two step polish first with a DA buffer to get my summer swirl marks out from all of the washing, throw on either DP sealant or Klasse (best for winter) a good caranuba wax and she's good to go.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:44 AM
gkb
AudiWorld Member

I wash mine rain/snow or sun mostly everyday. I have a Golden Nozzle unlimited Wash Pass, literally UNLIMITED (one time immediately back to back). $30 a month for the cheaper wash, just the normal wash and dry, they use a ultra soft cloth so it won't scratch a thing, i've been using it the whole summer and it's great. The $50 a month has all the goodies, wash, wax, underbody wash, rust inhibitor, tire shine, (employee) rim cleaner, and a couple other things. I would go to their web-site and see if they have one in your area, especially for the winter, be ready for a lot of compliments though cause everyone will be wondering why there car is full of salt and grime and yours is shiny clean.

http://www.flroberts.com/unlimitedwashpass.html
Old 10-01-2010, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

"Fluffy the wonderdog" in you sig looks ready to go. Maybe he/she can make under carriage recon missions to check for rust. Just a thought - cute pup!!
Old 10-01-2010, 09:00 AM
gkb
AudiWorld Member

just took a look at the site, Hope your in C.T or Mass cause it looks like thats the only areas they service.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jfbhd4
How often do people get their cars washed during the winter?
Once a week here in the winter. As a mater of fact, today it is being detailed; clay bar, waxing and sealer.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:38 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Would love to find something like this in Ohio.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com

Quick Reply: Winter Maintenance