A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Xenon Headlight Beam bounce

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon Headlight Beam bounce

I just purchased a 2007 A6 Quattro with the Xenon turn assisted headlights. I noticed that one flickers, not in brightness but more of a slight up / down bounce. It is rather annoying when following vehicles for long distances and I also notice it on the highway boards. I replaced the bulbs with Sylvania HID's thinking maybe a bulb was going bad and still have the issue. They did intensify in brightness compared to the ones I removed which I am happy for.

I wouldn't think it was a ballast because beam doesn't ever dim.

Is it normal and something I need to get used too? I have never had lights like this before.

Could the motor be going bad (loose) that turns them right and left in turns causing the slight vibration or bounce?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unfortunately, parts of your adaptive lighting system are worn out. This wear has allowed play into the mechanism and it bounces when you drive over bump etc. I've heard that the only thing to do is replace the headlight.

I'm sure a very skillful person could fix it, but you're not that guy if you're here asking questions about it.

So, my advice remains: Live with it or buy a new/used unit.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Adaptive lights have both horizontal and vertical adjustments. It sounds like it is the vertical motor that is going. The vertical motors can be replaced, part is $95 2008 Audi A6 Quattro Parts - genuinevwaudiparts.com
Old 03-15-2016, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Richard Levy
Adaptive lights have both horizontal and vertical adjustments. It sounds like it is the vertical motor that is going. The vertical motors can be replaced, part is $95 2008 Audi A6 Quattro Parts - genuinevwaudiparts.com
Thanks man. I'm 95% sure its my drivers light but ordered a R and L adjust motor. That is what I was leaning towards when I submitted my question but thought I would ask. Will let you know result when I get them in.

--E
Old 03-16-2016, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by EClass20
Thanks man. I'm 95% sure its my drivers light but ordered a R and L adjust motor. That is what I was leaning towards when I submitted my question but thought I would ask. Will let you know result when I get them in.

--E
Please do report back on how it goes. We sorely need some of that information here. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2016, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EClass20

--E
I've dealt with it for a few years on my '08. Drives me crazy, seeing the flicker on the road signs.

I'm very interested to hear about your install (hopefully ease of it!).

Eric
Old 03-30-2016, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's been a couple weeks, any luck?
Old 03-31-2016, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 325 Posts

I am interested too.

A few weeks back during a long distance trip with my lamps ON, I briefly saw a warning stating that the adaptive lighting system is defective. I was pleasantly surprised that my car had the adaptive lighting option. But when I turn my wheels, the lighting pattern does not follow so I assume my motors are faulty, at least the horizontal ones. If this is feasible and not expensive, I'd like to replace them.

The vertical ones may still be fine because I notice the light adjusting vertically when I start the car with the lights ON. Could be how the Xenon works, what do I know?
Old 04-01-2016, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kelisko
I am interested too.

A few weeks back during a long distance trip with my lamps ON, I briefly saw a warning stating that the adaptive lighting system is defective. I was pleasantly surprised that my car had the adaptive lighting option. But when I turn my wheels, the lighting pattern does not follow so I assume my motors are faulty, at least the horizontal ones. If this is feasible and not expensive, I'd like to replace them.

The vertical ones may still be fine because I notice the light adjusting vertically when I start the car with the lights ON. Could be how the Xenon works, what do I know?
Up-down is required for all Bi-xenon (called auto-leveling) and is separate from the L-R of the adaptive.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by cal3thousand
Up-down is required for all Bi-xenon (called auto-leveling) and is separate from the L-R of the adaptive.
Alright! Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Xenon Headlight Beam bounce