A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Xenon OEM retrofit help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon OEM retrofit help

Hi all,

Posting this around the forums because I really am getting fedup with retrofits!

Basically, got original A6 xenon headlights from Germany for about £450-500

Found the halogen cable does not fit the new xenon units, Looked around/asked around and came across KUFATEC GmbH - Adapter Xenon - Scheinwerfer Audi A6 4F 33912 (http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p262_Adapter-Xenon---Scheinwerfer-Audi-A6-4F.html) which is what I needed.

Finally got it delivered only to find I didn't look at the picture properly and so I did not ask questions. The cable while self-explanatory has also two wires coming out of it. Suddenly this was sounding like it was not just "plug and play" as the various ebay threads selling the same thing suggest!

I fit the lights anyway without connecting those two wires while still asking both ebay sellers and kufatec what those two wires were for.

Fit the lights, cables (apart from the two wires), tested it out and voila, I had xenon lighting/hids whatever its called - and very bright!

Changed the 09 Central Electronics module from Halogen with washer to Xenon.

At this point:

1. Turn lights on, xenons light
2. They do not auto-level
3. Drivers side is low, passenger high
4. Pull the beam lever and this works only if dim lights are on (they turn the xenons on). If the xenons are on and you pull the lever, nothing happens-i assume the bulbs next to the xenons should turn on?.
5. Bulb warning: sidelights/daytime lights both left/right (though they work)

I am >hoping< that these two wires are the solution but I do not know where they go. After much hunting around, I finally found the module to be under the drivers dashboard panel. Found the plug too (http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=08072008017os1.jpg) - The grey one.

I cannot find anywhere where these wires plug in though?

The installation "guide" is
http://www.kunset.de/Einbau/Audi/Audi%20A6%204F/Anschlussplan.pdf

As you can see, it matches the picture I took, three cables, one 10 pin, one next to it and one above it followed by the audi sticker and the 1-5 plastic lugs.

Kufatec's reply was:
the extra wires are for the bi xenon switch and daylight which need to be connected to the boardnet controlling unit.

If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it. By the way, the car is a 2007 shape s-line TDI A6. The xenons are original OEM units from Germany.

Thanks all

Akash
Old 07-09-2008, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Xenon OEM retrofit help

The lights are bi-xenons.. The high beams "turn on" by redirecting the light from the xenon bulb using a mirror. I would imagine that one of those two wires might move the mirror. It could be that the halogen high beam signal is going in to the harness, but needs to be moved to one of those two wires. just a guess.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the reply...you are probably right.. didnt know thats how the technology with the beam worked though!

I have finally got a reply from kufatec to say the module I'm looking at under the steering wheel IS the correct one

But my last question hopefully is how the heck I connect these two wires to it

Am I cutting it and then joining the plug end and adapter end?
Or does it slot in somewhere?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You are very brave to do this yourself.

I'm all for saving a buck on a DIY job. But, you gotta know what you're getting into. You are about to become the resident expert.

Here's an idea. Get a good digital camera and take photos of the connections and wires. Post them here. I'm sure one of us (even me) would be willing to look at our own set-up to see what goes where.

Don't cut anything until you know it's absolutely the right thing to do.

Good luck

John

PS: If I get a chance I'll take some photo's of my own bi-xenons for you to compare.

...or you might get lucky and find an already-expert here.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

would it help if i snapped some pics of the em setup?
Old 07-10-2008, 01:11 AM

Default Re: You are very brave to do this yourself.

Hi John,

I think the issue started when I got one of those cheapy ebay HID conversion kits... it took the guy about an hour to install all together so it got me thinking that the proper OEM should not take that much longer.

Thanks for the offer for pictures... I did take one a while back when I finally found the plug
http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=08072008017os1.jpg

Not sure how much this helps but it is the grey plug for the "bi-xenon switch" as they put it. I can take a better one if needed.

If you do get a chance, please do take a picture or two, but I feel as yours is factory fitted, the harness itself will be different.

You will see from the picture above what I meant about cutting the wire as there is no where else to "slot it in" and the plug doesn't come apart either.

Thanks again

sgroer Thanks also for the offer. Again it may help but your factory harness will most likely be different IE: you won't have an adapter with those two extra wires coming out seperately and therefore would only see one bunch of wires including my extra two, going into the one plug.
Have a look anyway, I might be wrong (hopefully!)

To the both of you:
http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=07072008011qg5.jpg

Again, sorry it is a bad picture, neither picture was intended for showing you the actual detail in this case.
Look at the blue wire that finishes near the front, you will see that silver "end" which is almost like a clip. In a computer, this is almost like a wire that goes into the molex connector which is slot in and then clips into place.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Went to take photos yesterday.

Sorry it took so long to get back. Turns out your prediction is right. There really nothing to see on mine. So no photos of a stock set-up will help.

Sorry for the false hopes. I hope you get it running right. Please post the solution for others when you solve it.

John