A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

$10K extra for what, exactly...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $10K extra for what, exactly...

I'm on the very edge of pulling the trigger on a Midnight Blue/Gray Prestige w/Driver's Assistance Pkg + Cold weather for, all told, about $10K more than a very similarly equipped 2012 BMW 353Xi (and a similar amount more than a comparably equipped A6).

To me, the extra $10K is for two things (1) the visceral feel that I get from the A7 that I don't feel when I look at or drive the other two cars; and (2) the fact that I will be driving a vehicle that is truly unique. I personally counted 20 5-series that I drove past just on my relatively traffic-free drive home from the dealership which is only 7 miles away and for some reason it seems fundamentally wrong to pay $57k for a car that is painfully common.

I would be interested in knowing whether there were others who came down to the same final decision and what it was that convinced you that the extra $10k was worth it.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiSomeday
I'm on the very edge of pulling the trigger on a Midnight Blue/Gray Prestige w/Driver's Assistance Pkg + Cold weather for, all told, about $10K more than a very similarly equipped 2012 BMW 353Xi (and a similar amount more than a comparably equipped A6).

To me, the extra $10K is for two things (1) the visceral feel that I get from the A7 that I don't feel when I look at or drive the other two cars; and (2) the fact that I will be driving a vehicle that is truly unique. I personally counted 20 5-series that I drove past just on my relatively traffic-free drive home from the dealership which is only 7 miles away and for some reason it seems fundamentally wrong to pay $57k for a car that is painfully common.

I would be interested in knowing whether there were others who came down to the same final decision and what it was that convinced you that the extra $10k was worth it.

Mr. Attorney, you first came to the forum asking if it was worth it to purchase an A7, telling everyone that you make 300k a year, then you asked again if it's justifiable to spend 10k more on an A7 than a comparably equipped A6. If you are so indecisive about a car purchase, especially on an A7, I would highly suggest that you look at other cars that can make you happy emotionally and financially, instantly.

It seems to me that the Audi A7 might not be a right car for you. Nothing personal, but if you have many doubts about a car before your purchase, then you will never be happy with it. There are some members on this forum that are extremely unhappy about the A7 because of the "problems" that they experience with their A7s, and I sympathize with them because it is not an inexpensive purchase. However, if you have already developed doubts that justify your purchase of a less expensive car, then the A7 might not be for you.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My apologies, I thought this was a discussion board.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My apologies, I thought this was a discussion board.
We are discussing, aren't we?
Old 11-13-2011, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I understand your problem. I had the first CLS-AMG in my town, and for a while it was very unique and fun to own. A bit more common now. While I could buy the current CLS, it is no longer unique and I think not worth the extra cost over the E class. I considered the A7 but think the A6 is just as good in operation and, due to lower sales volume, will be different enough. Have not purchased a BMW since the early 70's when I had a 2002, but sure they make nice cars, but they are certainly everywhere.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aquarian
Mr. Attorney, you first came to the forum asking if it was worth it to purchase an A7, telling everyone that you make 300k a year, then you asked again if it's justifiable to spend 10k more on an A7 than a comparably equipped A6. If you are so indecisive about a car purchase, especially on an A7, I would highly suggest that you look at other cars that can make you happy emotionally and financially, instantly.

It seems to me that the Audi A7 might not be a right car for you. Nothing personal, but if you have many doubts about a car before your purchase, then you will never be happy with it. There are some members on this forum that are extremely unhappy about the A7 because of the "problems" that they experience with their A7s, and I sympathize with them because it is not an inexpensive purchase. However, if you have already developed doubts that justify your purchase of a less expensive car, then the A7 might not be for you.
Well put! You never disappoint with your rapier wit
Old 11-13-2011, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Two criteria should really matter: 1) what do you enjoy driving more (ie, does it handle, accelerate, and have the better criteria), and 2) is the exterior attractive? OK, so 1) is really three things, but who gives a hoot if you're the only one on the road with something you don't like?

Both the Mrs. and I enjoyed the ride of the '11 A6 above that of the '11 5 series, and the styling to boot. Had we enjoyed the bimmer's ride more, that would have been my choice. My personal feeling is that "exclusivity" is snobbish, insecure and subject to disappointment when you see somebody driving the same thing you have.

Buy the car if you like it be best - damn the herd and damn the snobs.

OTOH, if you're looking for a birdcage, this post will do you little good! LOL
Old 11-13-2011, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good luck with your purchase. Simply stated, whatever you use to justify (or not) your purchase is yours alone as are my decisions are probably exclusive to me. Any decision that takes this much agony on your part would probably justify stepping back and at least waiting. If it is a painful decision, then it's a bad decision.

I think I just said what Aquarian said.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by trieste
Well put! You never disappoint with your rapier wit
I am actually a very nice person in person.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Save your money and get the BMW, you are truly a waste of everyones time.

Quick Reply: $10K extra for what, exactly...