$10K extra for what, exactly...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Heck yes, the $10K is worth it!

• Unique 5 door design that is great for cargo
  • Lower, wider and better looking than A6
  • Basically a better looking A8 (in my mind they are in the same class of rarified automotive air)
  • Way less of them on the road than either A6 or A8 or MB or BMW
  • A sexy beast...the only hatch that is a work of art and comes close to the A5/S5.
  • Looks and drives like a $70K car unlike BMW.

Last edited by JerryS4; 01-02-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The a6 on paper is a better buy. So maybe you should consider a very nicely equipped prestige a6 for 60-61 grand. vs a 535.

A6 prices are going up, and it's not a bargain anymore.

But dollar for dollar BMW still rakes you over the coals and the a6 is more car for the money.

A7 is a niche vehicle and you pay for the style more then anything.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think folks misinterpreted my purpose in starting this discussion. I'm not questioning whether the A7 is worth $10K more (probably more like $8K more actually) than the comparably equipped 5-series -- I whole-heartedly believe it is worth the higher price. My question was exactly what is it that makes it worth the more money.

My opinion is that if you'r dropping more than $50K for a vehicle, you should get excited every time you see it in your garage or sit in it. I just don't get that feeling with either the 5-series or the A6.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You may ask the question as many different ways as you'd like, the answer is still the same. Buy the car that YOU want. If the 6 series and the BMW don't excite you, then clearly you would be wise to steer clear. DOES the A7 excite you? Then buy it. To answer you own question, THAT IS EXACTLY what the extra $10k is for. Is excitement worth $10k to you?

There is no mechanical answer ... the cars are mechanically very similar. The A7 just has a different look, different driving feel, a little more sporty edge and will be more unique. But, alas, these are MY opinions. Some may feel the A6 is sportier, or drives better or has the better look.

If you are specifically asking if there is anything of substance that the A7 has that the A6 doesn't have that is worth $10k, the answer is a resounding NO, unless you subscribe $10k of worth to a hatchback. In fact, it has ONE LESS SEAT, so in reality, you are going to pay an extra $10k to get LESS!

GASP!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiSomeday
My opinion is that if you'r dropping more than $50K for a vehicle, you should get excited every time you see it in your garage or sit in it. I just don't get that feeling with either the 5-series or the A6.
That "feeling" is what you're paying $8k extra for...
Old 01-02-2012, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Art has a price that is not quantifiable

Originally Posted by mdernst
That "feeling" is what you're paying $8k extra for...
I have been a businessman and musician for my entire life. The business side of me quantifies and "sometimes qualifies" results, strategies, tactics etc., anticipating an outcome.

The music side of me writes, performs and delivers a result that my own mind, heart, feelings are happy (or sometimes not happy) with.

The latter is what is in question here. Your $8k vs. $10K is the business side, and highly in debate.

The artistic side is painfully stated in this thread. Don't waste your time....if you don't like it in the showroom, you will never ever like it after the purchase. Like a marriage, if you are fighting with your boyfriend/girlfriend prior to the ceremony, it doesn't magically go away after you both say I do! Maybe it just wasn't and isn't in this case meant to be.

BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc., are all a matter of taste and all great cars. I opted for the A7, had A6's, 4's, Mercedes etc. I think hands down the A7 is awesome for all of the reasons stated. I waited for the A6 to come out, and for $10K considered it. But, it is flat out "ugly" in my taste, and didn't give me one sense of a single goose bump when I saw it. It lacked steak and sizzle on the outside, although the inside is almost identical to the A7.

Stop the agony, and have you considered the Fiat 500....at least you get a pic of "J-Lo" with the advertising to look at. That will make the 500 look splendid :-)

Good Luck, and yes this is a discussion board.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slojotaa
I have been a businessman and musician for my entire life. The business side of me quantifies and "sometimes qualifies" results, strategies, tactics etc., anticipating an outcome.

The music side of me writes, performs and delivers a result that my own mind, heart, feelings are happy (or sometimes not happy) with.

The latter is what is in question here. Your $8k vs. $10K is the business side, and highly in debate.

The artistic side is painfully stated in this thread. Don't waste your time....if you don't like it in the showroom, you will never ever like it after the purchase. Like a marriage, if you are fighting with your boyfriend/girlfriend prior to the ceremony, it doesn't magically go away after you both say I do! Maybe it just wasn't and isn't in this case meant to be.

BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc., are all a matter of taste and all great cars. I opted for the A7, had A6's, 4's, Mercedes etc. I think hands down the A7 is awesome for all of the reasons stated. I waited for the A6 to come out, and for $10K considered it. But, it is flat out "ugly" in my taste, and didn't give me one sense of a single goose bump when I saw it. It lacked steak and sizzle on the outside, although the inside is almost identical to the A7.

Stop the agony, and have you considered the Fiat 500....at least you get a pic of "J-Lo" with the advertising to look at. That will make the 500 look splendid :-)

Good Luck, and yes this is a discussion board.

Happy New Year!
Very well put!!