A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

2014 A7 Tensioner or Timing Chain issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 11:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 A7 Tensioner or Timing Chain issue

Have 66k miles. Serviced religiously. No technical issues ever. Go in for an oil change (service center) then notice a tapping sound towards back of the engine.

take it back to Audi. Diagnostic run. (Pass)
Audi wants to disassemble engine for 3 grand to diagnose issue.

I decline, take it to private mechanic. He says it’s either Timing Chain or Tensioner.

on cold start, you can hear chain rattle then commence with a light tapping sound.

no misfiring, no metal debris in oil, no performance issues. Just light tapping noise.

mech says 7500 total worst case scenario. (Replace all timing chains)

mfg warranty expired June 2nd. Audi North America won’t make good will exception bc “3 weeks out of warranty” (good luck)

saw there are class action lawsuits about same issue. I am an attorney but don’t litigate cases much

need advice. Is it ok to drive with tapping occurs while idling?

thanks!
Old 06-30-2020, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the issue is indeed with the cam chains, you're not doing yourself any favors by continuing to drive. I am skeptical of this since it's only 66k miles...
The cam tensioners does seem to be a common problem on the early generations of the 3.0 engine. I would recommend you do more research online and on forums to get a better idea.

If this started happening immediately after an oil service, I would speculate that they forgot to add oil first before test starting. They would detect this problem within a few seconds - turn off the engine and fill oil, but those few seconds might have been enough to cause engine damage.
If that is indeed what happened, then there is bound to be more damage than just with the cam chain tensioner!
If you decide to investigate down this path, you would be entitled to a new engine.

If that's not what happened, and just unlucky wear of the cam chain tensioner, then it shouldn't be that bad of a repair.
I'm not familiar with the 3.0 engine, but if it's any similar to Audi's older engines, then there is a cam chain and tensioner at the back of the engine on both sides of the V.
The main timing belt from the crank drives a cam 1 from the front, then at the rear cam 1 drives cam 2 with a cam chain. The cam chain and its tensioner are separate from the main timing chain.
If lucky you should be able to just remove the valve covers and replace the tensioners without having to mess with the main timing chain.
Of course, there would still be alot of work to remove all the components in the way just to get there.

It should be DIY able over the weekend if you are mechanically inclined and motivated, and I'd say you would save at least $5000.

Good luck
Old 06-30-2020, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rsniper4
If the issue is indeed with the cam chains, you're not doing yourself any favors by continuing to drive. I am skeptical of this since it's only 66k miles...
The cam tensioners does seem to be a common problem on the early generations of the 3.0 engine. I would recommend you do more research online and on forums to get a better idea.

If this started happening immediately after an oil service, I would speculate that they forgot to add oil first before test starting. They would detect this problem within a few seconds - turn off the engine and fill oil, but those few seconds might have been enough to cause engine damage.
If that is indeed what happened, then there is bound to be more damage than just with the cam chain tensioner!
If you decide to investigate down this path, you would be entitled to a new engine.

If that's not what happened, and just unlucky wear of the cam chain tensioner, then it shouldn't be that bad of a repair.
I'm not familiar with the 3.0 engine, but if it's any similar to Audi's older engines, then there is a cam chain and tensioner at the back of the engine on both sides of the V.
The main timing belt from the crank drives a cam 1 from the front, then at the rear cam 1 drives cam 2 with a cam chain. The cam chain and its tensioner are separate from the main timing chain.
If lucky you should be able to just remove the valve covers and replace the tensioners without having to mess with the main timing chain.
Of course, there would still be alot of work to remove all the components in the way just to get there.

It should be DIY able over the weekend if you are mechanically inclined and motivated, and I'd say you would save at least $5000.

Good luck

I have had 3 engine diagnostic tests run all passing with flying colors which leads me to believe it’s a component in the early stages of wear.

the oil service was in a response to alert “add 1qt - ok to drive” it was done immediately. No metal shavings in oil. Engine when raised appeared in excellent condition.

I am suspect of the component failing so early but I have researched and noticed this likely is a defective factory part. There are several class actions as well with documented payouts for prior repairs.

hopefully the dealer will do the right thing and service the part.

does the chain rattle sound and ticking while idle sound pretty consistent with a tensioner or you think it’s more of a chain issue? Again, no performance issues, nothing unusual, car drives perfectly fine despite the annoying sound.

thanks!
Old 06-30-2020, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too had that same issue with my A7 at around 45,000 miles, they replaced the tensioner at no charge because it was still under warranty. The dealer said that is a very common problem with the tensioner failure. I hope you can find someone you trust to bring down the engine to replace the tensioner. They had to keep my vehicle for two days to do that job.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cruz, another strong indicator that its your tensioner wearing out is at cold startup - the rattle will be most loud and noticeable for the first few seconds, and gradually quiet down as oil pressure builds up.