A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

2016 Audi A7 3.0 TFSI - That African Audi DIYer

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 403 Likes on 334 Posts
Default 2016 Audi A7 3.0 TFSI - That African Audi DIYer

Hello C7 A7 Folks! My first car was a 1991 B4 Audi 80 (unnamed, currently still in use by my mechanic) which I purchased in 2007 in spite of myself. I wanted a BMW. 7 years later, I was a huge Audi fan because it was a great car! As a result, in 2014, I purchased a 1995 B5 Audi A4 (unnamed, gone) with a terrific 1.8L Turbo engine. Too fast for me, I crashed it six month later. Two weeks later, I purchased a 1997 C5 Audi A6 (named Didi, still owned). I was so satisfied by the looks, room, comfort and driving dynamics of the A6 that the next year, in 2015 I purchased my 2005 C6 Audi A6 (named Patrick, still owned). I had a great experience with Patrick and I ended up creating a channel sharing DIY repair videos of it (That African Audi DIYer). Now I am a proud owner of a 2016 C7 Audi A7 (named Tornado, newborn).

This is to introduce myself officially as a new member of this forum and to share my early experience with this wonderful vehicle. The video below shows how I purchased it, had it imported to Africa and my first bad experience with it the first day I got to drive it myself. A loud whistling noise started coming out of the engine bay. Watch the video below to learn more.

The 3.0 TFSI engine in my new C7.5 Audi A7 is the third evolution of the 3.2 FSI engine in my C6 Audi A6. I know a lot about the latter so I do not feel lost and should be able to work on the 3.0 TFSI. I am looking forward to diving into this and sharing knowledge with all of you...

Video:
The following users liked this post:
cabosu cayvos (10-22-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

damm sorry to hear you have to deal with this so soon. While you are replacing the PCV, are you going to walnut blast the intake valves and if the T-stat and water pump were never replaced previously you might want to do all that while the Supercharger is off. Then you should be good to go for another 130k+ miles.
kelisko (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 09mazda6
damm sorry to hear you have to deal with this so soon. While you are replacing the PCV, are you going to walnut blast the intake valves and if the T-stat and water pump were never replaced previously you might want to do all that while the Supercharger is off. Then you should be good to go for another 130k+ miles.
You just had me thinking. I considered the thermostat and water pump but didn't think about carbon deposits on the intake valves. I will decide when I get there and have a look at them. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 08-09-2022, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Cannot say enough good thinks about FCPEuro's videos and blogs - this should help with the PCV and they have others on same engine re walnut blasting valves.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-repl...i-s4-s5-sq5-a7

There are a few others on youtube with some helpful shortcuts but first time around this level of detail might be the place to start. It's what I used to take my S/C off when I had to replace S/C oil and valve cover gasket breather hoses etc.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Keli, good luck with the new car! Did you end up selling the blue C6 A6?
Old 08-09-2022, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Keli, good luck with the new car! Did you end up selling the blue C6 A6?
Thanks! Nope, I am keeping the C6 A6. I will be using both cars
uberwgn (08-10-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Cannot say enough good thinks about FCPEuro's videos and blogs - this should help with the PCV and they have others on same engine re walnut blasting valves.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-repl...i-s4-s5-sq5-a7

There are a few others on youtube with some helpful shortcuts but first time around this level of detail might be the place to start. It's what I used to take my S/C off when I had to replace S/C oil and valve cover gasket breather hoses etc.
I have watched some of their videos and they are indeed very helpful.

The 3.0 TFSI in the North American (NA) Model Year (MY) 2016 is however a little different and documentation about it is extremely rare. The design of the 3.0 TFSI from NA MY 2009 to 2015 was very similar but from NA MY 2016 there's been a big change. One of them is visible in the picture below. No breather hose on the passenger's side valve cover.

Old 08-10-2022, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kelisko
I have watched some of their videos and they are indeed very helpful.

The 3.0 TFSI in the North American (NA) Model Year (MY) 2016 is however a little different and documentation about it is extremely rare. The design of the 3.0 TFSI from NA MY 2009 to 2015 was very similar but from NA MY 2016 there's been a big change. One of them is visible in the picture below. No breather hose on the passenger's side valve cover.

I agree in my internet surfing I rarely see information or videos about that engine.,.. I suspect the cars with it have not fallen in price to the point that 2nd and 3rd owners are modifying them and that seems to be when the DIY repair and modiciation videos come out. Original owners still under warranty are not as likely to DIY things.

I suspect you know this already but in the off chance you don't, I'll share - you may be able to download the factory service manual - I did for my c6.5 and while it's not as helpful for as a video it's a good reference source. from a post over on Audizine:

The "home page" for the factory service manuals is referred to as the Erwin site and this is the landing page. https://erwin.audi.com/erwin/showHome.do

To get the factory service manuals for your vehicle go here for more instructions and pricing:
https://erwin.audi.com/erwin/showOrderFlatrate.do

You'll want the 24-hour flat rate which is under $40 (euros, so it fluctuates).
You'll sign up for an account (free). Choose the flat rate one day. You'll then be able to search for any and all PDF's related to the RS5, S5 and A5 line (or any Audi for that matter). Some of the PDF's don't specifically say RS5 or S5 and will say A5 repair for whatever but include RS5 and S5 information. So I downloaded pretty much everything I could for the A5/S5 and RS5 and sorted through it later. Just search a number of different ways. Plus you can download lots of other cool docs on other models to your heart's content for that 24-hour period.

Once you've downloaded, you can open them on your computer at any time. If using Adobe Acrobat, disable Java and you'll get rid of the initial warning PDF that pops up. If you don't disable Java, you just scroll to the bottom of the "are you paying attention" warning page and hit "Ok" and the FSM opens. But just disable Java in the preferences and you don't need to do that each and every time. These are yours to keep and print out at any time.

kelisko (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I suspect you know this already but in the off chance you don't, I'll share - you may be able to download the factory service manual - I did for my c6.5 and while it's not as helpful for as a video it's a good reference source. from a post over on Audizine:

The "home page" for the factory service manuals is referred to as the Erwin site and this is the landing page. https://erwin.audi.com/erwin/showHome.do

To get the factory service manuals for your vehicle go here for more instructions and pricing:
https://erwin.audi.com/erwin/showOrderFlatrate.do
No I did not know this. Thanks for sharing!!! I had a look at the site and their offers sound interesting. I would have purchased an option if I already didn't purchase the 2016 Audi A7 Sportback repair manual DeLuxe Edition from Factory Manuals at https://www.factory-manuals.com/ back in March. The DeLuxe Edition cost me 129.99 USD. It includes the car's specific information, the owner's manual and the detailed repair manual based on the VIN in PDF format.

I have located the portion that shows the removal of the supercharger, removal of the lower intake, fuel lines, top coolant pipe and the replacement of the PCV and has read it over and over but I was hoping to find more information with actual pictures or videos to boost my confidence. This car cost me a lot of money overall ~ 50,000 USD shipping, customs, taxes, registration and insurance fees included so I am not happy and confident about tearing it apart so soon without being sure of what I am going to do. But this needs to happen or else I won't be able to use the car

Parts for the engine are also difficult to find and you risk purchasing the wrong parts if you don't pay attention. The 7zap website fortunately has the detailed part numbers listed but most sites still have no or confusing information about the 2016 - 2018 models. The oil separator on the 2009 - 2015 3.0T has two suction ports for two breather hoses, one on each side whereas the 2016 - 2018 3.0T has only one suction port for one breather hose on the driver's side only. I am lucky I found this out early or I would have ordered the wrong oil separator which ECS Tuning and FCP Euro automatically suggested. There are a few more design changes that I will point out as we go along.

Last edited by kelisko; 08-11-2022 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sharing a few pictures. I parked it in my car vault away from temptation until I fix the PCV issue. Still waiting for the parts and special tools to arrive. Some of them haven't even been received by the shop from the retailer yet. Supply chain issue.

Quick Reply: 2016 Audi A7 3.0 TFSI - That African Audi DIYer