A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

2016 TDI Prestige - a few newb questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 08:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 TDI Prestige - a few newb questions

After a couple months of ownership and a fair mount of time pouring over the owners manual along with more searching here and other places, I have some unanswered questions and hope y'all can help.
  1. From day 1 I've had periodic trouble w/ the adaptive cruise. Now and again it will cut out saying something like "sensor can't see". Give it 5 - 10 minutes and it works again. I do 300 mile drives twice/weekly and some days this happens One-to-many times per drive, other drives it doesn't happen at all. I'll see the dealer about this soon but what I'd like to know now is if there's a way to use cruise control without the adaptive feature. It seems like there should be that option but I can't find mention of it.
  2. Is there a sensitivity adjustment for the lane departure feature? When I set it the car weaves back and forth within my lane as though I'm driving after getting myself on the outside of a fifth of Jack Daniels.
I said "a few" but I'll hold it to these (for now). I should say I really love this car. It's the best mix of reasonable performance, comfort, style, price and economy I can imagine. I love my brother's P85D Tesla but I could never live with the lack of range and, to me, this makes way more sense. I'm looking forward to his opinion when he has a chance to give it a whirl. BTW, I traded a Gen 2 CTS-V towards this and haven't regretted it for a second.

Last edited by cj8718; 05-23-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cj8718
After a couple months of ownership and a fair mount of time pouring over the owners manual along with more searching here and other places, I have some unanswered questions and hope y'all can help.
  1. From day 1 I've had periodic trouble w/ the adaptive cruise. Now and again it will cut out saying something like "sensor can't see". Give it 5 - 10 minutes and it works again. I do 300 mile drives twice/weekly and some days this happens One-to-many times per drive, other drives it doesn't happen at all. I'll see the dealer about this soon but what I'd like to know now is if there's a way to use cruise control without the adaptive feature. It seems like there should be that option but I can't find mention of it.
  2. Is there a sensitivity adjustment for the lane departure feature? When I set it the car weaves back and forth within my lane as though I'm driving after getting myself on the outside of a fifth of Jack Daniels.
I said "a few" but I'll hold it to these (for now). I should say I really love this car. It's the best mix of reasonable performance, comfort, style, price and economy I can imagine. I love my brother's P85D Tesla but I could never live with the lack of range and, to me, this makes way more sense. I'm looking forward to his opinion when he has a chance to give it a whirl. BTW, I traded a Gen 2 CTS-V towards this and haven't regretted it for a second.
1. This happened to me a few times over the years, usually in bad weather. My understanding is that dust, rain, mud, snow or ice covers the sensor (I have never asked where the sensor is located) reducing its effectiveness, and you get a notification so you don't count on the function. After a while the obstruction clears and all goes back to normal.

2. This function is designed to prevent the wheel crossing the lane marker line, not to keep the car in the center of the lane, it is not a replacement for the driver keeping the vehicle there. You actually get a warning to take over the steering function if the car wonders on its own too long. No adjustment for this.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fkaufman
1. This happened to me a few times over the years, usually in bad weather. My understanding is that dust, rain, mud, snow or ice covers the sensor (I have never asked where the sensor is located) reducing its effectiveness, and you get a notification so you don't count on the function. After a while the obstruction clears and all goes back to normal.
My real question was whether cruise works when the adaptive sensor is blocked. For the record, when mine's gone out it's been in great weather - no rain, snow, etc. Still, I'd like it to work like any Toyota's non-adaptive cruise control when ACC isn't available. If not, stupid design.

Originally Posted by fkaufman
2. This function is designed to prevent the wheel crossing the lane marker line, not to keep the car in the center of the lane, it is not a replacement for the driver keeping the vehicle there. You actually get a warning to take over the steering function if the car wonders on its own too long. No adjustment for this.
Even Kia has an adjustability to it's lane-holding feature - WTF was I thinking expecting something like this in an 80K car? Maybe I should have bought a Stinger instead. Oh, wait... it's small and ugly!

In any case, thanks for the response. Damn!