A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 20" Summer Tires - winter replacements

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A7 20" Summer Tires - winter replacements

Thoughts? Do I buy a 20" wheel pig. With all season tires for winter? Or do I purchase 20" rubber all seasons and replace the summer rubber only for good? Yoko's on the car now.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

On my previous RX8 purchase, someone organized a group buy.
I am wanting winter tires and rims at 18 or 19 inches to replace 20's by December.
Whoever sets it up needs to consider the Canadian equivalent wholesaler if possible.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Audi seems to have pretty decent specials in the Fall and I also want a good quality OEM wheel in the 18" or 19" range with Winter tires. We will see what the styling looks like soon and I expect the combo pricing to be in the $2500 range. If not, Hartmann's or something else migh be in the cards. Do not really like any styles on Tire Rack right now.

Last edited by JerryS4; 08-27-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm been looking for winter wheels for the last month and have been very frustrated to see that none of the manufacturers/dealers I've spoken to have done any test fittings for the A7. I understand that Hartmann is in the process of doing some with A7 dealer out there, but VMR has not yet and is also out of stock in the style I want anyway. So, I'm waiting to see what Audi's winter tire/wheel packages look like and whether Hartmann or anyone else will do some test fittings for us. If any of you have found an aftermarket 19" wheel that you KNOW will fit, please let us know.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MichaelChicago
I'm been looking for winter wheels for the last month and have been very frustrated to see that none of the manufacturers/dealers I've spoken to have done any test fittings for the A7. I understand that Hartmann is in the process of doing some with A7 dealer out there, but VMR has not yet and is also out of stock in the style I want anyway. So, I'm waiting to see what Audi's winter tire/wheel packages look like and whether Hartmann or anyone else will do some test fittings for us. If any of you have found an aftermarket 19" wheel that you KNOW will fit, please let us know.
I also hope the specials are good. I am surprised that nobody has "tires" i.e. winter/all weather that can wrap around the 20" rims. In fact, my family member has a Panamera and got a flat. The tire was "destroyed", and it took 4 days to get a replacement tire for that. Not to confuse things with this story, but the purpose of bringing it up is to voice "surprise" at the lack of options on something as simple as a tire. I have faith that something will come about, as this car is too hot not to have folks salivating at OEM options, tires being one of them.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MichaelChicago
I also hope the specials are good. I am surprised that nobody has "tires" i.e. winter/all weather that can wrap around the 20" rims. In fact, my family member has a Panamera and got a flat. The tire was "destroyed", and it took 4 days to get a replacement tire for that. Not to confuse things with this story, but the purpose of bringing it up is to voice "surprise" at the lack of options on something as simple as a tire. I have faith that something will come about, as this car is too hot not to have folks salivating at OEM options, tires being one of them.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just put blizzak lm 60 255/35 R20 tires on my A7 and so far love them. I would even say the ride seems smoother than the original tires. They cost $1500 for 4 tires mounted and balanced in Alaska so they may be cheaper in the lower 48. I checked with Audi to make sure the narrower tires didn't violate any warranties and was told it was fine to go from 265 to 255. Speed rating is H 130 mph on these. Hope this helps.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am likely going to swap out for a set of the Continental DWS all seasons in the stock size and try to sell or trade in the Yokohamas. Living in a well plowed metro area I don't see the need for dedicated snows. Had them on the RS4 and barely tested them. But the choices are pretty limited.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had those Continentals on the RS4 I just traded for only about 2k miles but they were great and I will probably get for A7.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Audi just emailed to the USA dealers the winter tire and wheel package details. For the A7, they have a $2,895 package of Continental Winter Contact 235/45R19 x8" (99V)tires on a 8x19 ET26 wheels.

I am not in love with the A7 package's ten spoke alloys but like the RS4 style wheels better for $3,295. These are Dunlop Winter Sport 3D 255/35R19 tires on 9x19 ET29 wheels. Not sure how they would fit but spacers should solve any issues.

After some research, I ended up ordering from Achtuning.com's Skyler a set of Hartmann German made HRS4-252-GA:M (RS4 19x8.5" style machined anthracite) wheels for about $1,100 delivered.

I really like the machined shiny face on a darker background since brake dust is always a problem. I almost went with the S5 style but always liked the RS4 more. I already own spacers to go with the ET+38 offset that the RS4s unfortunately limited to. Photo of the style I ordered:

http://gallery.hartmannwheels.com/v/...geViewsIndex=1

If you link from Achtuning to Tire Rack, they will mount and balance the ordered tires for free. Price from Tire Rack is about $1,200 shipped for a set of Blizzaks LM-60s. So total damage is about $2,300 for wheels & tires that I will actually like to own for the Winter months. I saved $1K going this route and you have way more options for both.

FYI, Apparently the Offset ET should be in the mid 20s for the A7 and here is a photo of the S5 style wheels with an ET 25 on a red A7:

http://gallery.hartmannwheels.com/v/...0_CS1.jpg.html

If anyone owns an A7 in the Redmond, Washington area, may I suggest that you volunteer to have Achtuning's wheels test fitted on your A7 as their data seems to be sparse this early. I bet they would give you a great discount so they can learn more about the A7 fittment issues.

Last edited by JerryS4; 09-30-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: A7 20" Summer Tires - winter replacements