A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 20" Summer Tires - winter replacements

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been shopping for winter wheels for 2 months and have been very frustrated by the lack of available wheels that will fit without spacers, something I'd much rather avoid if I can. Neither VMR nor Achtuning have done test fittings for the A7, except the 20" wheels Achtuning is showing. I really need 19" or 18" and I just haven't seen much. Why are the Audi winter wheel/tire packages always such unappealing wheel designs?! I am going to see if I can get my dealer to test fit a set of 19 x 8.5 wheels from the S5 (which is the same style they're showing in publicity photos of the S7). By the way, I thought the offset for the A7 was 32 in the 19 and 18 wheels and 37 in the 20s. It so happens that the S5 wheel is et 32, so I'm hoping it's a fit.

Last edited by MichaelChicago; 10-07-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Relevant A6 threads in this topic

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2812773

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2813429
Old 10-02-2011, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This was posted before as stock Audi wheels:

The available A7 wheel sizes and offsets are as follows:

20x9" ET37
19x9" ET32
19x8.5" ET32
18x8.5" ET32
17x8" ET32
posted before by Tony
Regina, Canada
Old 10-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't know if this will help anyone but I found a really useful tire size calculator at Miata.net

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

You input your stock tire that you want to change and then put in the new size tire and it calculates out the differences in tire diameter, number of revs/mile etc and tells you whether your new tire is too fast or too slow on your speedo. Lots of cool info. Has helped me to look at new sizes of tires for my 20" A7 wheels which may be less expensive but still fit on the rims.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by klondike616
I don't know if this will help anyone but I found a really useful tire size calculator at Miata.net

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

You input your stock tire that you want to change and then put in the new size tire and it calculates out the differences in tire diameter, number of revs/mile etc and tells you whether your new tire is too fast or too slow on your speedo. Lots of cool info. Has helped me to look at new sizes of tires for my 20" A7 wheels which may be less expensive but still fit on the rims.
That brings up a good question. If you change the tire to a different size, the speedometer reading will be different from the actual speed the car travels at. Is there a way to compensate for that, so the speedometer reading would be correct?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you check out that tire calculator, it will tell you how fast or slow your new tires are compared to the old ones. If you pick the right new size tires, it usually is very negligible. Remember as your tires wear, over 30,000 miles your speedo will be off anyway.

By the way, I have owned many German cars over the years and all the German auto makers calibrate the speedometer 3 miles an hour to fast ( for the US). In other words if your speedo reads 60 you are really traveling 57 mph. I found this out a few years ago when I had a 911 C4 Cab and compared the speedo to my Navi system sitting on the dash. Complained to the dealer, and he told me the germans purposefully do this. Have since noticed it in 2 A6's we owned and some Merc's. Haven't yet checked it out on the new A7.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

If you check out that tire calculator, it will tell you how fast or slow your new tires are compared to the old ones. If you pick the right new size tires, it usually is very negligible. Remember as your tires wear, over 30,000 miles your speedo will be off anyway.

By the way, I have owned many German cars over the years and all the German auto makers calibrate the speedometer 3 miles an hour to fast ( for the US). In other words if your speedo reads 60 you are really traveling 57 mph. I found this out a few years ago when I had a 911 C4 Cab and compared the speedo to my Navi system sitting on the dash. Complained to the dealer, and he told me the germans purposefully do this. Have since noticed it in 2 A6's we owned and some Merc's. Haven't yet checked it out on the new A7.
Interesting. I will put my wife's Magellan GPS in the A7 for a few days and run a comparison speedo test. I will post my findings.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I thought this was true too, but when driving our Q7, I noted that I was driving 86 mph when a Highway Patrol ticketed me for the same.

I'm not sure the GPS speed test is accurate either since it pegs my speed in my Excursion about 4 MPH off the speedo.

Makes you wonder.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Got the Hartmann Wheels for the Blizzaks

So I got the winter tires and wheels from Achtuning this weekend and put them on this nice Fall afternoon. The wheels are the Hartmann 252 MA RS4 style replicas, 19 x 8.5 ET=38 Machined Anthracite on 20 mm H&R spacers in the back and 15 mm on the front. Looks pretty good but the back could use another 5 or 10 mm more spacer (or less offset).
The tires from Tire Rack are the Blizzak 245/45R19 LM60s. Yeah, I know the winters are 2.45% bigger than the 20" stock but I wanted a bit more sidewalls for pothole protection and the speedo will only be 1.7 MPH slower than normal. Some have posted that Audi makes the speedo 3 MPH too fast anyway so this change is good.
The last photo is of the stock 20" wheels on the 20 mm spacers on the rear only. Some have asked to see another view of that setup. Pretty wide but I never had a rubbing issue. The A7 wants a wide stance!
Attached Images    

Last edited by JerryS4; 10-15-2011 at 03:03 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JerryS4
So I got the winter tires and wheels from Achtuning this weekend and put them on this nice Fall afternoon. The wheels are the Hartmann 252MA RS4 style replicas, 19x85 ET=38 Machined Anthracite on 20 mm H&R spacers in the back and 15 mm on the front. Looks pretty good but the back could use another 5 or 10 mm more spacer or (less offset).
The tires from Tire Rack are the Blizzak 245/45R19 LM60s. Yeah, I know the winters are 2.45% bigger than the 20" stock but I wanted a bit more sidewalls for pothole protection and the speedo will only be 1.7 MPH slower than normal. Some have posted that Audi makes the speedo 3 MPH too fast anyway so this change is good.
The last photo is of the stock wheels on the 20 mm spacers on the rear only. Some have asked to see another view of that setup. Pretty wide but I never had a rubbing issue. The A7 wants a wide stance!
I notice you are in the Philly area (I am in Wilmington, DE). You have the same color combo I've ordered. I was trying to look inside, do you have the silver headliner? I'd love to see an inside photo of how that combo looks, would you mind taking a pic?

Quick Reply: A7 20" Summer Tires - winter replacements