A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 Base Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A7 Base Stereo Upgrade

Just bought the A7 Premium plus with the base HD stereo. My ears sensed that the B&O was prohibitive and more geared towards "highs", i.e. simply brilliant here. The Bose system didn't have nearly the punch as the base system. Default position, stick to the base system! Is there a simple way to upgrade the speakers/sub woofer (yes it has a sub), and pack some "polk momo" type of punch to this ride?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Just bought the A7 Premium plus with the base HD stereo. My ears sensed that the B&O was prohibitive and more geared towards "highs", i.e. simply brilliant here. The Bose system didn't have nearly the punch as the base system. Default position, stick to the base system! Is there a simple way to upgrade the speakers/sub woofer (yes it has a sub), and pack some "polk momo" type of punch to this ride?
Im going the route of bose and adding a soundstream line driver, alpine R series 12inch sub and 1000watt orion amp .. to say this works well is an understatement.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bootnet
Im going the route of bose and adding a soundstream line driver, alpine R series 12inch sub and 1000watt orion amp .. to say this works well is an understatement.
Would that also work with the base unit as well?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yeah will work as an add-on to any car..its easy..you just tap into the stock woofer..get the signal to the soundstream it gives you a line out to amp..amp to the alpine sub and you are set. the beauty of the whole thing is that this is the first out of the many audi's that I have had where the battery is in the trunk under the spare tire..so no long power lines to be drawn through the firewall etc..you dont have to tear up the interior ..everything is right where you need it.. its sweet.
soundstream bx-20t , orion 5001 amp, alpine R type 1223 sub.. custom enclosure. ofcourse you can change out to whatever brands you want etc.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bootnet
yeah will work as an add-on to any car..its easy..you just tap into the stock woofer..get the signal to the soundstream it gives you a line out to amp..amp to the alpine sub and you are set. the beauty of the whole thing is that this is the first out of the many audi's that I have had where the battery is in the trunk under the spare tire..so no long power lines to be drawn through the firewall etc..you dont have to tear up the interior ..everything is right where you need it.. its sweet.
soundstream bx-20t , orion 5001 amp, alpine R type 1223 sub.. custom enclosure. ofcourse you can change out to whatever brands you want etc.
Thank you very much for the informative reply. I am now excited. My son said that you lose the steering wheel controls. Is this true? If so, why, and if not.....Sweet!!!!
Thanks again, and appreciate the info.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you very much for the informative reply. I am now excited. My son said that you lose the steering wheel controls. Is this true? If so, why, and if not.....Sweet!!!!
Thanks again, and appreciate the info.
Does anybody know the:

Dimensions of all speakers in the "base" stereo unit?
Size of the sub?
If JL "clean sweep" when installed changes any of the steering wheel controls? "Hope not"

Suggestions on the best "reconfig" of speakers that gives me "concert like, i.e. Rock concert like" sound, not "hip hop mush" sound, and not "classical". Base "thump", and snare "Fwap".

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Joe
Old 08-20-2011, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know, the cleansweep will still work and not affect the steering wheel controls. I looked into port an old system I had into my a8 and it all should work. It's basically the same system as the a7. It's just finding the time to do it - especially building an enclosure for the subs . The plan is

- Jl audio summing device
- Jl audio cleansweep
- alpine eq with separate 'head' control unit - under the armrest usually ( you can setup your own profiles for different music genres I find)
- pair of diamond d9 door speakers with tweeters ( d971 if memory serves me correctly , and it usually doesn't ) for front
- same as above but the 6.5 inch type for rear doors
- 2x 12 inch diamond d6 subs for the spare wheel well
- 2x Jl 500w slash v2 sub amps
- 1x Jl Hd 600 amp - this one is a poor replacement for. A McInotsh 406M I bought years ago that isn't well. I might just buy another hd600 and run them both in bridged mode.

It used to shake the chassis in my old a8 d3, maybe you've wetted my aperture to get the new car finallydone! Most of these bits are just sitting in a cup oars in the garage

Last edited by jetinder; 08-20-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jetinder
As far as I know, the cleansweep will still work and not affect the steering wheel controls. I looked into port an old system I had into my a8 and it all should work. It's basically the same system as the a7. It's just finding the time to do it - especially building an enclosure for the subs . The plan is

- Jl audio cleansweep
- alpine eq with separate 'head' control unit - under the armrest usually ( you can setup your own profiles for different music genres I find)
- pair of diamond d9 door speakers with tweeters ( d971 if memory serves me correctly , and it usually doesn't ) for front
- 1x Jl Hd 600 amp - this one is a poor replacement for. A McInotsh 406M I bought years ago that isn't well. I might just buy another hd600 and run them both in bridged mode.

It used to shake the chassis in my old a8 d3, maybe you've wetted my aperture to get the new car finallydone! Most of these bits are just sitting in a cup oars in the garage

I thought the whims, as well as my garage was a unique vice to me. Proud to see I am not alone! :-). Thanks, can't wait to mod my stereo! Should sound great in the hatch!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yes sounds great too !

Would that also work with the base unit as well?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jetinder

- Jl audio cleansweep

hey,
did you upgrade your speakers?? I just wanted to confirm that A7 front door speakers are 5.5" and rears are 6.5"
or both front and rear are 6.5"??

thanks