A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 owners - what car are you coming from and how was the ride quality?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A7 owners - what car are you coming from and how was the ride quality?

I just read the comparison test between the A7 and CLS done by Top Gear, and I am somewhat concerned about ride quality issues.

The comparison can be found here:

http://topgearnew.blogspot.com/2011/...s-audi-a7.html

One thing that concerns me is how much they trash the ride quality of the A7. I have read many articles, and some have mentioned excess tire noise from the 20 inch tires, but I can't recall reading concerns such as those brought up in this article. TG has also mentioned in a previous test of the A7 that the XF had significantly better ride quality.

I'm just curious about the experiences of the A7 owners out there. What car did you have before the A7 and how does the A7's ride quality compare?

Of course, I plan to test drive both cars, but here in Oregon where the roads vary so much, it might be hard to get a true idea of the long-term comfort of a vehicle from a short test drive.

Thanks in advance to anyone that responds!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The review has the TDI motor with the S-Tronic tranny and the air suspension so there may be various differences to the USA model. I recal one Euro review that said to go with the standard springs over the air ride.

Lets go back 5-7 years:
- I have generally found Audi's to be great to steer, classy to look at but a bit fragile, brittle & jumpy over uneven roads. Audi's have been heavy but awesome in bad weather.
- BMWs to me have had the best combo of sport and suppleness and used to look great until the 2005 Bangle models came out. That is when I switched to Audi.
- Mercedes were always heavy, not as sporty but had optional huge, fun motors that made up for all that. More mature audiences seemed to be the market.

Fast forward to the present:
- Audi's look great, have the best AWD and have greatly improved on balance and suppleness. The latest S4 is a great example of outdoing BMW. Also good is the 2009 A6 3.0T. (The A7's 20" wheels do seem to sacrifice that smoothness & comfort but I still want those gorgeous works of art and will live with it. I do not mind the ride of the 20s but I will go to 19" or 18" for the winter tires.) Audi's now are lighter, better rear biased but still not perfect but with 19" or smaller wheels, should be just fine. They have come a long way in 5 years.
- BMW has again started to look really good and still has a good ride but the new 5 series seems a bit more numb and disconnected than past models. The new 5 series seems like the old 7 series to me. Most people still consider BMW the most sporty of the Germans but the reviews have noticed the changes.
- The new MB E series is just more of what Mercedes does well. Big motors, comfortable ride but not the best handling cars. Looks can be a bit exagerated, are pricey, but they are solid as a block of steel.

Consclusion: The Germans still make the best cars in the world so choose the one that fits you best. I personally love the looks of the Audi A5/A7, the AWD, the A7's hatchback space and when I flash the ECU with the Stasis s/w, the 400 HP will make me smile ear to ear in the best looking car around. Oh, and I do like the ride that they have achieved... Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by JerryS4; 06-02-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ohji
I just read the comparison test between the A7 and CLS done by Top Gear, and I am somewhat concerned about ride quality issues.

One thing that concerns me is how much they trash the ride quality of the A7. I have read many articles, and some have mentioned excess tire noise from the 20 inch tires, but I can't recall reading concerns such as those brought up in this article. TG has also mentioned in a previous test of the A7 that the XF had significantly better ride quality.

I'm just curious about the experiences of the A7 owners out there. What car did you have before the A7 and how does the A7's ride quality compare?

Of course, I plan to test drive both cars, but here in Oregon where the roads vary so much, it might be hard to get a true idea of the long-term comfort of a vehicle from a short test drive.

Ohji, thanks for the link. One thing to keep in mind is that part of the appeal of the Top Gear commentary is that it is entertainment. They are looking for attention. They want to come across dramatic. They want people coming back to see their shows and clicking on their links. There are a lot of reviews of both cars out there and they want to separate themselves from the crowd.

With that said, there really is nothing surprising in their comments. Mercedes has always had a bias toward luxury, at the expense of fun and sportiness. Personally, I find Mercedes dull. The Jaguar that you mention is also known more for a luxurious ride than road feel. The A7, on the other hand, does feel very sporty and "BMW like" in terms of road feel. Motor Trend, in a recent review, has said that the A7 has even more engaging steering than the 5 series.

So when you test drive the A7, make sure you drive one with 18, 19, and 20 inch wheels on good and bad roads. And, of course, drive the Mercedes. One will surely speak to you more.

Last edited by caesar2011; 06-01-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ohji - I traded in my 2008 RS4 for the A7. So compared to that the A7 ride is super smooth. Of course it doesn't handle like the RS4 but that's OK - it gets me 80% of the handling I need in a daily driver. Plus all the tech toys keep me entertained as well. I still have my Z06 so if I drive around in that for an hour and then get in the A7, it feels even more luxurious. I was thinking of waiting for the new CLS but I am sure I would be shelling out $15-20K more for the same option list. Good luck with your search!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohji,
I have driven the A7 with 20" Sport wheel package (No Sports Suspension), and came from a 2010 A5 Sline with Sport package and 19" wheels, and the A7 Rides better than the A5.

The tires are Pirelli PZeros not the yokohama that i have seen on most 20" wheel packages, but i driven the A7 with the Yokos also and the ride quality was excellent, except of course over rough bumpy road.

Last edited by Stevial; 06-02-2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm almost 30 days and 1000 miles into my A7 prestige with 20 inch wheels but not the sport package. I came from a 2008 BMW 535. I find the A7 ride luxurious and smooth. It isn't quite as sporty as the 535 and I'm definitely planning a Stasis ECU upgrade as soon as they are available. But ride quality? Tampa has it's share of pot holes, and I have no complaints about the ride or the seats.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ohji

Yes the reviews are correct, the 20" wheels do induce more road noise, it's a by-product. And yes compared to the XF it's ride isn't as smooth, but you must keep things in prespective, these reviews are being hypercritical because the reality is with all these cars the differences are very small. For example the noise difference between the XF and A6 at 70mph is less that 1db, how noticeable would that really be, especially with the radio on? As for the ride, again the differences are mainly personal preference, some may prefer the softer more cushioned ride of the XF where as other might like the sportier and slightly firmer ride of the A7 more.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traded my 2010 XF Premium for the A7 and no regrets regarding the ride. I like the way the German cars drive and I had 11 BMWs before for this reason. The Jag is "soft" , more like a lady's car, although the 385 horses sometimes can make a difference. What I really love in the A7 is the tech : The XF looks very outdated in comparison. The standard audio on the A7 is no match for the B&W I had on the Jag, though. The B&O option is way overpriced and I never liked the sound of any B&O product. Overall, I can say the A7 is the best car I drove so far.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

When you think the S7 just around the corner and the suspension engineers
are dialing in better control on all sorts of roads, I think the A7 perfect for me.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the responses, everyone!

I am coming from a 2004 Acura TL. I ordered the 6-speed manual, which came with a slightly lower, firmer sports suspension, and I have had no regrets. I think my principle concern will end up being road noise. I just moved to Portland from Miami about a year ago, and I have found that the roads here are so LOUD compared to those in FL, lol. With my commute sometimes being an hour each way, it can be painful having to endure the noise for that long. I just hope the Audi is an upgrade from my current car. I would definitely give up some steering feel or handling for a significant reduction in road noise, but if it is a decibel or two difference between the CLS/XF and A7, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Good to know none of you A7 owners long for the ride quality of your previous car.

Quick Reply: A7 owners - what car are you coming from and how was the ride quality?