A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 Premium Plus Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A7 Premium Plus Headlight Question

I have a Premium Plus A7 and have noticed that there is an element in the headlight assembly that is non-functional on my vehicle (and other Premium +'s from what I have seen in other forums)--the section in question is highlighted in yellow in the photo). In another forum numerous suggestions have been offered (e.g., high beams, flash-to-pass halogen, kerb lights, city lights). A call to Audi flagship resulted in "cornering lights" as the function of this element, dealership had no information to offer. The reflector assembly behind the bulb has a curved interior side suggesting that light would be cast to the side. I know that the xenon's include the high beam function and that the xenons go to high beam when the stalk is pulled even in daylight (someone suggested that the xenon warm up time is slow and that a separate halogen bulb assembly is used for flash-to-pass in daylight--apparently this was the case in the past).

At present, I do not know what the function of this light element is or if it can be enabled via VCDS. The current beta version of VCDS (module 09) makes reference to cornering lights via fog lights--changing this bit to 1 does nothing as far as I can tell although the coding is accepted (as the A7 does not have front fogs per se in any trim one wonders what this bit actually affects). Is this element present and functional on Prestige trim vehicles that have bi-xenon headlights? Any information about this light element would be appreciated, thanks.

Name:  a7headlight.jpg
Views: 1756
Size:  37.8 KB
Old 11-15-2011, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Have you had a chance to see if the bulb has wiring going to it? My 2003 MB E500 had similar bulbs that were called city lights - European models were the only ones that had "real" bulbs in there. I found some bulbs that would work and installed them myself. I have the LEDs so I can't make the same comparison for you. The LED option has the cornering light built in and comes on under 25 MPH when turning. Cool feature but not real useful.
The cornering light is the one on the far left in the pic.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bmcds4
Have you had a chance to see if the bulb has wiring going to it? My 2003 MB E500 had similar bulbs that were called city lights - European models were the only ones that had "real" bulbs in there. I found some bulbs that would work and installed them myself. I have the LEDs so I can't make the same comparison for you. The LED option has the cornering light built in and comes on under 25 MPH when turning. Cool feature but not real useful.
The cornering light is the one on the far left in the pic.

It appears that there is a single connector for the wiring harness that provides power to the entire headlight assembly, a visual count shows that all numbered pins have at least one wire connected. As far as I can tell, wiring to the bulb in question is internal to assembly and I have not tried to "get inside".

A look at the German forums/sites indicates that the A7 does have a bi-xenon plus headlight with static cornering lights (vs. the pivoting xenons for the US Prestige trim) so I still think that is the most likely explanation. I also found that the UK A7 brochure shows a headlight assembly identical to the one on my Premium Plus A7 so that assembly apparently is used in other markets as well. Any comments or thoughts from European or ROW owners would be most appreciated.

For now the mystery remains..............
Old 11-21-2011, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

On UK models without full LED headlamps, this bulb is for 'All Weather Lights' which essentially replaces the front fog lights otherwise not present on the A7. There is a separate switch for them next to the headlight switch.

In fact they are incredibly effective at lighting the immediae front and, somehow, sides (verges etc.) of the car and so a great boon in any bad weather and I use them as a quick way of forcing my headlamps on when in the 'Auto' position during heavy rain etc. in the daytime when they might otherwise not come on on their own. Seem to have zero annoyance factor for other road uses unlike true front fog lamps. Really like having them.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hashluck
On UK models without full LED headlamps, this bulb is for 'All Weather Lights' which essentially replaces the front fog lights otherwise not present on the A7. There is a separate switch for them next to the headlight switch.

In fact they are incredibly effective at lighting the immediae front and, somehow, sides (verges etc.) of the car and so a great boon in any bad weather and I use them as a quick way of forcing my headlamps on when in the 'Auto' position during heavy rain etc. in the daytime when they might otherwise not come on on their own. Seem to have zero annoyance factor for other road uses unlike true front fog lamps. Really like having them.

Thank you for the information. I am familiar with the all-weather switch you reference, that switch is absent in my A7, and as far as I know, in all US Premium Plus A7's. I wonder if adding this switch is all that is required to enable these lamps, or maybe the wiring/connector at the dash end is not correct. Any US A7 Premium Plus have switch installed and all-weather lighting functional?

The description of the light you provide sounds as if this light could also serve as a static cornering light--per chance does one side come on when the turn blinker is engaged in darkness (main switch in auto and main headlamps on)?

Thanks to all for any additional information.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am sure that this light could also double as the 'cornering light' but I do not have that option (it comes under the 'Adaptive Light' option in the UK)
Old 11-21-2011, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Those cornering lights in my pic above do indeed come in two conditions - one is as a cornering light when the headlights are on and you drop under 25 MPH while turning. The other is when you engage the "All Weather Lights" switch to the left of the headlight ****. The manual says to use them in inclement weather to reduce glare, etc. I really see it functioning like fog lights but with a more sideways lighting pattern.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dingjuled81
I suggst people use led headlight
Please explain what a "kind of LED light" is. As far as I know, it is either LED, incandescent or fluorescent. What else is there?
Old 12-08-2011, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mr. Dingjuled - we are all well aware of what LED lights are. Are you a registered vendor here? I suspect not.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dingjuled81
The glowing effect of the headlight is very good.
Please leave. You are not welcome here.

Quick Reply: A7 Premium Plus Headlight Question