A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 Thoughts after one week

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Organizing a group buy!

Originally Posted by voyageur
Coming from an Acura TL which has thin side walls on 17 inches, I've tried 20 inch wheels on A7 on two drives now and included them in my order.
I feel they are fine in "Comfort" and agree all comments they are worthy of purchase.
Maybe we'll organize a group by for 19 inch winter tires in October.
Hi
I am on the verge of cancelling my car, and re-ordering/finding (with the same dealer...he is awesome). Reason? The write ups on the 20" noise is killing me, and some folks spoke about taking the car back to the dealer multiple times and they said there is nothing that they can do. This bothers me a lot!!!! Now I could do something, once I pay....."forget about it"!

What is your true view on noise, and what have you been reading on noise?

Thanks, and all please feel free to weigh in.
Joe
Old 08-14-2011, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I know many have been talking about the 20s and the noise. Summer performance tires are notoriously noisy...has anyone switched out the OEM tires for all season tires?
Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by veedubmac
I know many have been talking about the 20s and the noise. Summer performance tires are notoriously noisy...has anyone switched out the OEM tires for all season tires?
Yes. Please see my signature. Noise level is very low on my 20's without the sport package, and I am very happy with my car so far. Yes, there is another member that has multiple problems with his A7 but none of them was about the tire/road noise. His problem was derived from the door seal.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aquarian
Yes. Please see my signature. Noise level is very low on my 20's without the sport package, and I am very happy with my car so far. Yes, there is another member that has multiple problems with his A7 but none of them was about the tire/road noise. His problem was derived from the door seal.
I took my car for a completely unrelated issue and the dealership replaced the seals. Ever since the new seals (which took a couple of tries to install correctly, see video in my thread) the road noise is so loud I can't even make bluetooth calls.

I asked why the dealership replaced the seals and they said Audi corporate told them to replace them on all A7s. My car came with v1 seals and now I have v3 seals. The road noise is atrocious. When my wife drove the A7 she thought that a window was rolled down!
Old 08-14-2011, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have 20" 5 segment wheels on my car and I am struggling to find the excessive road noise that these journalists seem to spend their life highlighting. I have read a few of the reviews and not many tend to mention the road surface they are travelling on, ie concrete versus tarmac highway, as obviously a concrete highway does tend to give off more road noise.

I travel on a mix of concrete and tarmac roads here in the UK and on tarmac I find the road noise to be no more than my previous A4 Cab.

Also, how many of us travel without the volume on the stereo turned up?, which will obviously dampen out the 'excessive' road noise as well.

The only way to get peace of mind is to take out an A7 for an extended test drive on varying road surfaces and then make your decision from there.

3,000 miles in my A7 so far and I have no regrets about my purchase at all.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Phantom68
I have 20" 5 segment wheels on my car and I am struggling to find the excessive road noise that these journalists seem to spend their life highlighting. I have read a few of the reviews and not many tend to mention the road surface they are travelling on, ie concrete versus tarmac highway, as obviously a concrete highway does tend to give off more road noise.

I travel on a mix of concrete and tarmac roads here in the UK and on tarmac I find the road noise to be no more than my previous A4 Cab.

Also, how many of us travel without the volume on the stereo turned up?, which will obviously dampen out the 'excessive' road noise as well.

The only way to get peace of mind is to take out an A7 for an extended test drive on varying road surfaces and then make your decision from there.

3,000 miles in my A7 so far and I have no regrets about my purchase at all.
Well said, and in fact, I am going to the dealer tomorrow to test drive the 20" sport package and hear for myself. Thanks
Old 08-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Phantom68
I'm ready to take it to the next level with my A7. If someone can design a decisive test I would be on-board to buying the necessary equipment.

I'm thinking 1 camcorder pointed at the speedometer and 1 camcorder pointed at a decibel meter. While driving, I would have a passenger document changes to the road surface.

How close would I place the decibel meter to the source?

Would this be good enough for my testing:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103667
Old 08-14-2011, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by poccsx
I'm ready to take it to the next level with my A7. If someone can design a decisive test I would be on-board to buying the necessary equipment.

I'm thinking 1 camcorder pointed at the speedometer and 1 camcorder pointed at a decibel meter. While driving, I would have a passenger document changes to the road surface.

How close would I place the decibel meter to the source?

Would this be good enough for my testing:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103667

I would place it close to your head/ears.....
Old 08-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aquarian
I would place it close to your head/ears.....
Sounds good to me, I'm 5 ft 10 1⁄2 in which, according to Wikipedia, is average. So no problems there.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by poccsx
Sounds good to me, I'm 5 ft 10 1⁄2 in which, according to Wikipedia, is average. So no problems there.

Let us know what you get from various road conditions.

Quick Reply: A7 Thoughts after one week