A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Is the A7 worth it (compared to an A6)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the A7 worth it (compared to an A6)?

So I am torn. I am going to order either an A7 or an A6. I am a lifetime Toyota customer, but I am disappointed with the new Lexus GS, and have decided to defect to the Audi to replace my 2nd Gen GS.

The question is whether to spend the extra almost 10 grand on a comparably equipped A7 over the A6. I can get a decent discount on an A7, but my wife works for an Audi supplier, so I can get the A6 at 6% off of MSRP with just a form. So you add the extra discount and the cheaper base price, and it's not quite 10k difference on a vehicle in prestige trim and a couple options...

The main diff between the two models seems to be style - but as an engineer, it's hard for me to comprehend spending 10k more for style. . The A6 also has the rear center seat which is a win, and is slightly lighter, but the A6 seems a little dull compared t the looks of the A7. The rear of he A7 seems a little cut off - I like the rear of the jag XF better, but I think it's a nicer look than the A6 which is a little bland for me.

What do you all think? Did anyone here decide between the A6 and the A7 as well? What made you go one way or another? I can afford either, but there is an opportunity cost for since that 10k can be spent on something else...

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-17-2011, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikesm559
So I am torn. I am going to order either an A7 or an A6. I am a lifetime Toyota customer, but I am disappointed with the new Lexus GS, and have decided to defect to the Audi to replace my 2nd Gen GS.

The question is whether to spend the extra almost 10 grand on a comparably equipped A7 over the A6. I can get a decent discount on an A7, but my wife works for an Audi supplier, so I can get the A6 at 6% off of MSRP with just a form. So you add the extra discount and the cheaper base price, and it's not quite 10k difference on a vehicle in prestige trim and a couple options...

The main diff between the two models seems to be style - but as an engineer, it's hard for me to comprehend spending 10k more for style. . The A6 also has the rear center seat which is a win, and is slightly lighter, but the A6 seems a little dull compared t the looks of the A7. The rear of he A7 seems a little cut off - I like the rear of the jag XF better, but I think it's a nicer look than the A6 which is a little bland for me.

What do you all think? Did anyone here decide between the A6 and the A7 as well? What made you go one way or another? I can afford either, but there is an opportunity cost for since that 10k can be spent on something else...

Thanks,
Mike
Remember, you are posting on the A7 forum, so expect bias! In short, to me the answer is a RESOUNDING YES. The style difference alone is worth $10K for an amazing work of modern art and modern design.

But there is more than just a style difference between the 2 cars. According to the Motor Trend review:

...The new A7 drives better than other big Audis. The handling, and specifically the steering feel, is a major improvement over the A8 we played with last summer and the soon-to-be-launched-here-in-the-States A6. Yes, it's a bit over-boosted in dynamic mode, and downright sloppy in comfort. But dynamic mode's not bad, and the A7's steering feels just slightly better than a contemporary BMW 5 Series, though not even close to the steering perfection of the E39. Besides, the A7 goes exactly where you point it, and there's only the most subtle hint of torque steer when you get on the gas a little early at the end of a curve. The ride's pretty good and there's always comfort mode if the going gets too rough.

Also, from personal experience on a race track, the A7 takes curves better than the A6. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2809954

Finally, take your engineering/ analytic hat off for a minute, and engage your emotions. If you like the style, and many people I meet on the street love it, get it. If not get the A6. However, after owning the A7, the A6 is just plain, dull, and boring in comparison.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

At first, I was really set on the A7 (my A7 was even on order!) and then I started having the same doubts as you because of the price difference.

Someone on here suggested I go and see the cars side by side. The following week, I did just that.

When I saw the two side by side, I knew the A7 was the winner. Just seeing them next to each other made the decision clear for me.

The front of the A6 is super nice but the back of it looks like a new Jetta or Passat and that bothered me tremendously because the A6 is definitely more expensive than a Jetta and so it SHOULD look nicer.

I felt like the styling of the A6 was done so nicely and then the design team just gave up on the back.

The A7 is a looker...the A6? Not as much.

The A7 is unique in its style and ultimately, that won me over. Its different than any other Audi and I really loved that.

I too, was unsure about the back of the A7 but let me tell you, it absolutely grows on you.

I was also worried about the A7 being "too older person" for me since I'm only 23.

However, I have not ONCE thought that way of the car since having it. There is nothing "older person" about it. That car is suitable for most age groups.

I have had 3 people sit in the back and yes, while it was annoying for the person sitting in the middle, I don't care because its a rare occasion that I drive with 3 people in the back anyway.

We just put a throw pillow down for the middle person and he was fine.

Just my two cents
Old 08-17-2011, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

In the UK if you want all the kit the A7 throws in as standard (and who wouldn't) and then load all those extras onto an A6 the price difference goes away big time and the A7 is a no brainer.

In fact I was looking at replacing my A5 like for like. By the time I had loaded up the A5 (and still did not have HUD and on-line services etc) the price difference to A5 had all but eroded.

Add the kit, do the math(s), buy the A7!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hashluck
In the UK if you want all the kit the A7 throws in as standard (and who wouldn't) and then load all those extras onto an A6 the price difference goes away big time and the A7 is a no brainer.
Quite right, an A6 vs A7 is roughly £9k cheaper but when i specced both models the same to how I wanted the gap reduced to £4k. Though I wanted the 5 seats so the A7 wasn't an option for me.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gear Junky
Quite right, an A6 vs A7 is roughly £9k cheaper but when i specced both models the same to how I wanted the gap reduced to £4k. Though I wanted the 5 seats so the A7 wasn't an option for me.
A7 is NOW 5 Seater (in the UK), they added it in for MY12
Old 08-18-2011, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yup, mine too (2012 model bought in DK). The day I went to the dealer to land the order, the option had just been released - that same day! Talk about luck! Have already used the 5th seat twice, and I've been happy that I got it (was for an extra price ofc, but it was really a no-brainer whether to get it or not).
Old 08-18-2011, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by adenna
Yup, mine too (2012 model bought in DK). The day I went to the dealer to land the order, the option had just been released - that same day! Talk about luck! Have already used the 5th seat twice, and I've been happy that I got it (was for an extra price ofc, but it was really a no-brainer whether to get it or not).
No Cost Option in the UK :-)
Old 08-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

so in europe, the center seat was a cheap plastic tray before and now they provide a real leather seat with safety belt?

I do hope US will get that option coz I'm also torn between the 5 seats from A6 vs the amazing style from A7 with 4 seats.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hashluck
A7 is NOW 5 Seater (in the UK), they added it in for MY12
At the time I ordered my A6 the A7 was only available as a 4 seater. Shame I missed the boat as I might have went for it instead.

Quick Reply: Is the A7 worth it (compared to an A6)?