A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

ACC and Audi Brake Guard Unavailable

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACC and Audi Brake Guard Unavailable

I know this has been posted and asked in the past and I have searched for answers.

I got this warning message on my car just a few days ago. It hasn't gone away. I washed my car (which wasn't really dirty) and that didn't help. I don't think the sensors are blocked but I think something more serious is going on.

I'm taking the car into the dealer this weekend. Anyone else have this problem? How serious is it and how long does it take to fix. My car is under warranty but I am hoping that it's just a bad fuse or something small and they don't have to disassemble half the car to fix it.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

It could be any number of things; a defective sensor, poor wire harness connection or ?. The dealer will run a scan which should indicate what's causing the issue. It's under warranty and they likely will provide a loaner if it's going to take some time to fix.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had that error message several times and it would not go away. Twice the car was brought in to two different dealers and twice I was told they replaced the sensors. The first time it took an Audi regional mechanic as the local dealer's guys (a very large Chicago area dealer) did not know what to do with it. It seemed to be fixed but the problem recurred a month or so later. I took it to a different dealer and it's fixed now. Both times it was done under warranty and both times they kept the car for a week. Only bright side was each of those dealers gave me a new A8 as a loaner.

However, I still get that warning intermittently, particularly right after start up and when I'm pulling out of my parking garage. Now it corrects itself in a minute or so, the warning message disappears, and the ACC and brake guard functions come back. Since my parking garage is in a dense urban area, I wonder if there's something electronic interfering with the sensors, e.g., burglar alarms or something like that. Since the failure corrects itself shortly after leaving the garage, my guess is that something else is happening. This never happens to me at home or while driving.

Last edited by MichaelChicago; 01-14-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MichaelChicago
I had that error message several times and it would not go away. Twice the car was brought in to two different dealers and twice I was told they replaced the sensors. The first time it took an Audi regional mechanic as the local dealer's guys (a very large Chicago area dealer) did not know what to do with it. It seemed to be fixed but the problem recurred a month or so later. I took it to a different dealer and it's fixed now. Both times it was done under warranty and both times they kept the car for a week. Only bright side was each of those dealers gave me a new A8 as a loaner.

However, I still get that warning intermittently, particularly right after start up and when I'm pulling out of my parking garage. Now it corrects itself in a minute or so, the warning message disappears, and the ACC and brake guard functions come back. Since my parking garage is in a dense urban area, I wonder if there's something electronic interfering with the sensors, e.g., burglar alarms or something like that. Since the failure corrects itself shortly after leaving the garage, my guess is that something else is happening. This never happens to me at home or while driving.
This is good to know. The front of my car comes very close to some things that I have in my garage (probably within 1 foot). I have never hit anything in the garage and I have the rubber stoppers on the ground so I know where to stop. But I wonder if this is contributing. I'll still take it to the dealer because unlike your issue now, my ACC problem never goes away even after I leave the garage. It comes on without fail every time I start the car wherever I am.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I had this issue on my A6; they replaced a parking sensor in the front the first trip, but the error returned within days. On my second visit, they replaced the wiring harness to the parking sensors (it was apparently pinched during bumper installation) and I have not had issues with this since.