A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Acceleration "Lag"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Trident, are you saying this lags occurs when moving from a standing start or something else?

I've got the 8spd auto in my A4 and the lag is bad 90% of the time. You'd almost think you were riding around with a student driver...it can be that "un-smooth".

There has been much written on this topic. A few dumped their cars and didn't elect to live with it. It's too bad, it kinda spoils an otherwise great car
I've noticed it from a slow rolling start and have also noticed it going 50 mph and then gunning it to pass. Same crappy hesitation my 2012 Q5 had, which I was told was turbo lag. Now I'm not so sure, they share the same 8 speed tranny after all.

Strange how some here have the issue and others don't.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Yeah, it sux. I've driven other A4 cars with the 8spd and none had the lag like mine does.

It's not turbo lag, it's part of the economy profile of this auto trans. I think the Stassis tune pretty much eliminates it.

90% of my driving is in-town, never exceeding 35 - 40 mph. That's part of the problem and the car is doing its adaptation routine The shop foreman at my dealership says it's linked to the rate at which you depress the go-pedal. If you go easy, the car displays more lag. If you press the pedal down a bit faster, the lag is gone or reduced. It's just hard to spike the pedal when sitting in long lines of traffic, crawling along, etc.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had a 2009 A6 Avant before my A7 and I experienced the same "hesitation" in the A6 that you're describing. It happened pretty consistently when starting out from a dead stop, whether I punched it or just accelerated normally. My A6 did that for the entire 2 years I owned it. I have never experienced that with my A7.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MichaelChicago

My A6 did that for the entire 2 years I owned it.
I've never experienced it on our '06 A6. It just drives like a normal car. There is no lag at anytime.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe it's not the car, maybe it's you Trident

Two cars with the same complaint !!!!

maybe you need this: http://www.sprintboostersales.com/?g...FUZjTAodUSzLlg

j/k of course, just jealous I don't have a supercharger

but the revo tune sure helped our lil 4 banger !
Old 01-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Yeah, it sux. I've driven other A4 cars with the 8spd and none had the lag like mine does.

It's not turbo lag, it's part of the economy profile of this auto trans. I think the Stassis tune pretty much eliminates it.

90% of my driving is in-town, never exceeding 35 - 40 mph. That's part of the problem and the car is doing its adaptation routine The shop foreman at my dealership says it's linked to the rate at which you depress the go-pedal. If you go easy, the car displays more lag. If you press the pedal down a bit faster, the lag is gone or reduced. It's just hard to spike the pedal when sitting in long lines of traffic, crawling along, etc.
Are you married? Does someone else drive the car with the same key you do? I am wondering if someone else may have "taught" the car a different profile than your style.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Maybe it's not the car, maybe it's you Trident

Two cars with the same complaint !!!!

maybe you need this: http://www.sprintboostersales.com/?g...FUZjTAodUSzLlg

j/k of course, just jealous I don't have a supercharger

but the revo tune sure helped our lil 4 banger !
Actually, I've been reading your posts for the ECU upgrade, sounds fantastic! Weird thing, the lag on last night's three hour drive was almost non existent. I can't explain it, wasn't driving any different, just wasn't as noticeable for some reason.

I think it's just a break in thing, I'm not gonna sweat it too much. Love this car though, love it!

Thanks for the input Johnny Boy.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by fresnoboy
Are you married? Does someone else drive the car with the same key you do? I am wondering if someone else may have "taught" the car a different profile than your style.
No, nobody else drives the car, I'm the only one.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Delay when accelerating

Hi everyone,
I got Audi A7 3.0 Tdi 2013 and when I hit the gas pedal hard it takes 1-2 Sec to respond,
Does anyone have any idea what can be the issue?
Also it has 8spd gearbox.