A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

AMI cable that supports iPod video, cover art etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lalith
Any idea what version of software is required? My dealer is clueless and my car is a N.American 2012 A5 Prestige Cab with a build date of August, 2011. I don't want to buy the red grommet cable and then find out it doesn't work.
The software version that i have found to work is hn+r_us_au_p0467 or hn+r_us_au_p0487, both these software versions work.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any info on when the update will be available for the dealers to install?
Old 12-15-2011, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My dealer doesn't give me clear answer on these software versions. They just said they tested out the red cable on an a8 and coverflow worked but no sound?
Does anyone have updates on this?
I asked for the update but said they couldn't update due to vin not requiring it.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joseaudi
My dealer doesn't give me clear answer on these software versions. They just said they tested out the red cable on an a8 and coverflow worked but no sound?
Does anyone have updates on this?
I asked for the update but said they couldn't update due to vin not requiring it.
Pain in the ***, software updates are now vin specific, and even if the dealership wanted to, i believe the software version are downloaded to the VAS 5051 or 5052 via the Audi main network in Germany and its vin specific, so you can only download the software that is required by audi for your vehicle.

I tried the cable on a couple of later build A8's and A6's and it worked just fine.

In other words, people who purchased the vehicles early are going to get the shaft.

I know there is a nav update available for the A6/A7/A8. But i cannot be sure if it will upgrade the firmware in the vehicle to the point where the cable works.

Not to mention the Cost of the upgrade is kinda pricey.

Like i said, the shaft.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried converting a US car to Euro firmware? I'm curious if you could find a service professional to do this rather than a dealer. Possible? Would it void the warranty? Just a thought.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stevial
Pain in the ***, software updates are now vin specific, and even if the dealership wanted to, i believe the software version are downloaded to the VAS 5051 or 5052 via the Audi main network in Germany and its vin specific, so you can only download the software that is required by audi for your vehicle.

I tried the cable on a couple of later build A8's and A6's and it worked just fine.

In other words, people who purchased the vehicles early are going to get the shaft.

I know there is a nav update available for the A6/A7/A8. But i cannot be sure if it will upgrade the firmware in the vehicle to the point where the cable works.

Not to mention the Cost of the upgrade is kinda pricey.

Like i said, the shaft.
I am bringing in my A7 in the next few days as the MMI crashes from time to time. I will ask for a software update. If anybody ones to swing by to see if the cable works after that, please PM me.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So did you get the update?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by joseaudi
So did you get the update?
I asked for it, but it is apparently not available yet. They will call me once it is...
Old 01-08-2012, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So I read through this entire thread and am somewhat saddened.

I'm thinking of leasing an A7 next weekend and not having the iPhone ios5 work on the nav screen dissapoints me.

Is it true that this isnt yet available in the US market (even on the cars in dealer lots right now)

and how come BMW has figured this out and not Audi?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by fcool
So I read through this entire thread and am somewhat saddened.

I'm thinking of leasing an A7 next weekend and not having the iPhone ios5 work on the nav screen dissapoints me.

Is it true that this isnt yet available in the US market (even on the cars in dealer lots right now)

and how come BMW has figured this out and not Audi?
Supposedly late date productions cars can do it.
My wife's 2012 ml has album art too but not video that this update will allow!

Quick Reply: AMI cable that supports iPod video, cover art etc.