A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

AMI cable that supports iPod video, cover art etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fcool
So I read through this entire thread and am somewhat saddened.

I'm thinking of leasing an A7 next weekend and not having the iPhone ios5 work on the nav screen dissapoints me.

Is it true that this isnt yet available in the US market (even on the cars in dealer lots right now)

and how come BMW has figured this out and not Audi?
BMW does it with an app so it's kind golf cheating. Audi does it with a licensed chip on the new cable. Just sucks that we can't just upgrade the software without it having to be vin dependent.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since January 4th I be the lucky owner of an Audi A6 S-Edition. I live in the Netherlands. The car is deliverd with the latest software. I had ordered the red cable but unfortunately, the dealer delivered the blue one. I've found that with this cable and the latest software video and album art is not working. Fortunately, the dealer orderd the red cable for me. When it arrives I will then let you know if video and album art works. If you want to know more (because this is a car from europe) please let me know
Old 01-11-2012, 04:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If it helps any, I just got the cable in (ordered it from here - http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genu...r_3364044.html) and it appears to be working fine though I haven't done a LOT of testing so I don't know that it's crash-free.

My software version is HN+R_US_AU_P0487
And navigation version is 8R0060884AD NAR 5.5.5
Old 01-11-2012, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, The Red Grommet cable works, but as far as i have seen and tested the software version in your US spec (North American) vehicles has to be at least
HN+R_US_AU_PO467 or higher, (such as HN+_US_AU_PO487) for the cable to work.

It will not work on cars with Software version HN+R_US_AU_PO409, which is the software version that a lot of the early cars came with.

As you can see the later cars have a different/higher software version, so the cable works.

So everyone who got there cars early, if you want the video and album art functionality, consider yourself screwed. I have been inquiring about a software update for months, but i am beginning to think that they wont be one.

I suppose its the price paid to be the 1st kid on the block.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

There is a software update for US cars. I left my A7 for service last week and the software was updated. I will check the version and let you know.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Wow! Soemthing is wrong. The software WAS updated, including description of changes on the invoice : "engine performance" . The problem is the version is the 409 and the Navi is 553. It looks like they loaded the original version. Bummer !
Old 01-11-2012, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by slimoli
Wow! Soemthing is wrong. The software WAS updated, including description of changes on the invoice : "engine performance" . The problem is the version is the 409 and the Navi is 553. It looks like they loaded the original version. Bummer !
Unfortunately, the software date was for the ECU, not MMI. As per my Audi dealer, there's a software update in the works. My MMI crashes rarely and randomly. I just hope, that the update doesn't only include bug fixes but also new features.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As an engineer, I don't quite understand why different cables should make any difference on whether cover art shows up or not. I seriously doubt that there is any electronic chip embedded within the cable. I wonder if the pin layouts were changed between different revisions of the cable.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

chips in cables are not new. you'd be surprised. (Engineer)
Old 01-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh - so I usually download videos using iTunes. When I play videos, I get the audio but no video output. Is this related to copyright? Also, does anyone here in socal have access to VAGCOM to help me with VIM?

Quick Reply: AMI cable that supports iPod video, cover art etc.