A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Annoying noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying noises

My brand new A7 is developing pretty annoying noises lately. At the first service, I will get my dealer to fix those.

So far I've identified:

* high frequency vibration noise from inside dashboard on certain roads, might be glove compartment door
* crackling noise from dashboard left of instruments (maybe vent cover)
* both speaker covers vibrate and make noise when listening to music at higher volume
* crackling noise from passenger seat
* when screen retracts it vibrates annoyingly

I know I am very picky, but I paid good money and in return I want a good car. Thinking about recording the noises so there's no "we couldn't reproduce the issue" BS from the dealer.

Did anybody else have annoying noises?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbb09
My brand new A7 is developing pretty annoying noises lately. At the first service, I will get my dealer to fix those.

So far I've identified:

* high frequency vibration noise from inside dashboard on certain roads, might be glove compartment door
* crackling noise from dashboard left of instruments (maybe vent cover)
* both speaker covers vibrate and make noise when listening to music at higher volume
* crackling noise from passenger seat
* when screen retracts it vibrates annoyingly

I know I am very picky, but I paid good money and in return I want a good car. Thinking about recording the noises so there's no "we couldn't reproduce the issue" BS from the dealer.

Did anybody else have annoying noises?
I have the crackling noise from the dashboard. Very annoying and always present. It's like something is completely loosed on the internal parts of the instruments.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had a similar noise from my d4 for the first three months until eventually it was sourced to the glove box not fitting properly. It was repacked a couple of times and hasn't given me a peep since. Try getting your passenger to place their hand on it when there's a noise.

Don't know if u get this, but using the phone when speaking with someone with a deep voice distorts the centre dash speaker. No fix yet, but might be common with the Bose system.

I make very sure the dealer fixes every annoying noise as we all pay good money for our cars.

Jet
Old 06-29-2011, 06:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a rattling noise and it sounds like it's coming from the dashboard, just left of the instrument cluster. Doesn't happen unless it's rough road and maybe cause I have 20" tires it makes it more pronounced
Old 06-29-2011, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I talked with my dealer this evening and mentioned the noises you have. I know we're right hand drive, but might be worth checking out the HUD, as that's been the source for quite a few noises.

Jet
Old 06-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a vibration/rattle in the drivers door panel where the door speaker/storage bin/rear hatch release button all converge. The dealer fooled with it one day, but it's back.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I get some popping/clicking noises from around the B-pillar area (maybe the seat belt mechanism) when driving. Not sure if other Audi's have suffered from this. I will do more research later to pin-point the problem.

Also, I used to get rattling from the dash below the driver's vent and around the instrument cluster. I used to think it was related to my hard-wiring of the radar detector. So I put some padding around the loose wires from the detector in the fuse box. The rattling went away, I think.

This car is too quiet that's why we are hearing the crackling, popping, and clicking noises.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Dashboard Noise

Just picked up my new A7 two days ago and I am already having an annoying rattling noise coming out of the dashboard in rough roads. If I tap over the dashboard with my fist it reproduces it. Like something is loose in there! Any Ideas? I am al little disappointed about this in a car costing over 75K!!! I love how the car looks but maybe I should have gone for a MERC?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

A merc could have rattles too. But anyway, I would suggest you to bring the car and have the dealer find out. Since you are able to reproduce the problem/rattle with your fist, it should be an easy fix for the dealer. Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by briboynyc
I have a rattling noise and it sounds like it's coming from the dashboard, just left of the instrument cluster. Doesn't happen unless it's rough road and maybe cause I have 20" tires it makes it more pronounced
I have the same issue...

Quick Reply: Annoying noises