A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Any tall A7 drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Any tall A7 drivers?

Hey all, new to the forum. I'm looking hard at a 2016 A7 for my next vehicle, though haven't test driven one yet.

I'm 6'5" and I see that the front headroom measurement is a bit less than most vehicles, at 36.9"

My current car (2011 Infiniti G37x) isn't spacious by any means, yet it has a headroom of 40.5".

Have any taller drivers had issues with headroom in the A7?
The following 2 users liked this post by grosx2:
BigFatCarGuy (09-19-2021), Ro7 (07-05-2020)
Old 05-31-2019, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TALL

6'4" Here. It is a little tight in my 14' but it works and isnt noticeable after a month or so of adjusting and getting the right placement.
The following users liked this post:
CLAS6IC (12-06-2020)
Old 05-31-2019, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tall issue

I'm 6'2' and I have a 2016 A7 which was purchased last November. I have no trouble at all and love the car. The driver's seat has many adjustments. One that you will like is the up and down positions. Good Luck!
Old 06-02-2019, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Appreciate the replies!
Old 06-03-2019, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I suspect it's more down to inside leg length.

I am 6ft 4ins but inside leg of about 36" so I have no issue with headroom at all, even with the sunroof - not sure if all A7's have a sunroof but mine does and it's fine for me.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

6 foot 4, 265 lbs ...just get in butt first, and you should be good on inside.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks all. I did test drive one last week and it's a bit tighter than my current car, but I fit fine with a little head room to spare.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:26 PM
flx
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I know this is an older thread, but I found it useful when searching for information on the A7 as it suits tall people, and figured I'd add my experience for others who stumble upon it. If you don't like preambles, skip to the "UPON ARRIVAL" section below.

Being 6'8", 250lbs, I'm usually relegated to larger vehicles, which does nothing to help ease my obsession with performance cars. Our other vehicle is an Infiniti QX80, which is roughly the size of Rhode Island, but I desperately wanted to add some flash to the driveway and ditch our Genesis.

I looked at a Jaguar XFR, but the test drive was uncomfortable due to a lack of headroom, an inability to see around me without bending my neck, and my knees flanking the steering wheel. The bucket seats wrapped around me tightly and I just felt jammed into the cabin. I switched to a later model Jaguar XF and the fit was a little better, mostly due to the seats themselves being different. I liked the car, despite it being a bit snug, and was prepared to make the leap.

A few days before pulling the trigger, we had swung into a rest area and I saw the Audi A7 for the very first time. We live in a smaller town and just don't see these kinds of vehicles, so I thought it was some brand new release by Audi. Seeing that A7 parked outside Chick Fil-A was love at first sight, and I immediately jumped into a search...thinking it'd be well out of range. When I found a 2014 A7 Prestige in a neighboring state with low miles and in the low-$20k range, I knew I had to have it.

One problem...I couldn't test drive it without driving 4.5 hours to do so. I looked up leg room, head room, height, width, length...I searched YouTube and forums for feedback by those who were taller. While it was comforting to see people say they could fit even though they were tall, these people were 6'2", 6'4". I needed feedback from even TALLER people.

The interior dimensions mirrored that of the Jaguar XF I had driven, although I was going to lose a little in the Audi. I knew I'd be scrunched, but I didn't care, the car was too beautiful. I finished the deal up and we headed off to the dealership with a one-way rental and a prayer.

UPON ARRIVAL, the car was glorious. Pristine and freshly waxed...just waiting for me. I nervously opened the door, and used the seat controls to put the seat as low and as far back as it would go. It kept going...and going...and going, giving me hope. I slipped into the seat and was absolutely thrilled at how much room I had. I even had to move the seat forward about 3-4 inches. The wheel telescoped towards me and I had more legroom than I had in our Genesis.

Again, I'm 6'8" and 250. A lanky dangling 49 y/o male. I had room to spare with the legs and they were not flanking each side of the steering wheel as I expected. I can easily reach all controls and I have 1-2 inches of headroom clearance, even with a hat on. Granted, the side door pillars are right in my view if I turn my head to the left, but I experience this in any vehicle I drive.

Exiting the vehicle is less than graceful, and it'll get worse as I continue to age, haha, but I don't care. This A7 is the most comfortable car I've been in and it's just plain gorgeous. The interior is amazing, the MMI is a dream, and it collects compliments left and right. More importantly, I drove 4.5 hours home without the typical need for a pit stop to stretch. No knee pain, no rear end falling asleep, no leg soreness. It was...perfect.

I hope this helps someone in the same predicament...a love for the car without the ability to test drive easily. I have room to spare in this car and it's surprisingly spacious compared to the others I test drove and even owned. My wife is 5'9" and it's even more perfect for her, but I'm not expecting her to get many chances to drive it.

The following 2 users liked this post by flx:
Arellim (09-08-2020), Ro7 (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 04:23 PM
Ro7
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At 6'6" this was very helpful. I'm currently looking to purchase a new to me 2016 or 2017 A7.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for this writeup! I"m 6'5", and like you I've been used to taking what I can get all my driving life. I did drive a 2017 A7 for a test drive, just to see how I fit in it, and I agree completely with what you said! I just took it out for 20 minutes, so I'm glad to hear your long term experience. I especially like the Butt first comment. Quite true, quite true. I"m just into my 50's and was thinking maybe a Q5 to complement the family Tiguan (a good workhorse), but yes, how can you not fall in love with the looks of the A7!

I'm targeting a 2014-2015 A7 Prestige as I really want a HUD. My brother has an S6, and it was a really cool feature of that car.

Quick Reply: Any tall A7 drivers?