A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Is anyone else having problems with their A7

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anyone else having problems with their A7

I've had it for 6 weeks, 3 of which were at the dealer fixing various electrical and window/door seal issues.

Am I the only one?
Old 07-23-2011, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by poccsx
I've had it for 6 weeks, 3 of which were at the dealer fixing various electrical and window/door seal issues.

Am I the only one?

Can you be a little specific about the problems? I haven't had any, yet.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aquarian
Can you be a little specific about the problems? I haven't had any, yet.
1. iPhone not available as media device - fixed, wiring harness (1 week)
2. Horizontal green bar across LCD screen when iPhone connected - not fixed, documented issue, told to wait for firmware update (no ETA)
3. Buzzing sound/road noise - misdiagnosed as speaker feedback on 1st attempt, made worse on 2nd attempt, currently in shop for 3rd attempt (2 weeks)

In the state of VA it's 3 unsuccessful attempts to fix an issue or 30 days in shop the first year. I'm getting pretty close to both and I only bought it 6 weeks ago.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2. Horizontal green bar across LCD screen when iPhone connected - not fixed, documented issue, told to wait for firmware update (no ETA)
3. Buzzing sound/road noise - misdiagnosed as speaker feedback on 1st attempt, made worse on 2nd attempt, currently in shop for 3rd attempt (2 weeks)

In the state of VA it's 3 unsuccessful attempts to fix an issue or 30 days in shop the first year. I'm getting pretty close to both and I only bought it 6 weeks ago.

Exactly where is the buzzing sound coming from?

Also, what version of the ios are you running?
Old 07-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Exactly where is the buzzing sound coming from?

Also, what version of the ios are you running?
Buzzing sound coming from the top of the driver's side window (how they confused that with speaker noise is beyond me). Did a drive with their tech (my dealer has 1, yes 1, tech certified in A7) and he confirmed that the window wouldn't close completely/tightly. After their 2nd attempt repair instead of a small gap creating a buzzing sound it was a large gap creating a wooshing sound. They tried to blame the pillarless design and said I should expect more road noise in the A7 than normal cars. What a load of BS, the car was extremely quiet when I purchased it and the quiet cabin being one of the selling points.

As for the iPhone, it was not an iOS issue, it was a defect in an A7 wiring harness which they replaced. It wouldn't surprise me if they're wiring harness was outsourced to China or someplace similar with the lowest bidder.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Buzzing sound coming from the top of the driver's side window (how they confused that with speaker noise is beyond me). Did a drive with their tech (my dealer has 1, yes 1, tech certified in A7) and he confirmed that the window wouldn't close completely/tightly. After their 2nd attempt repair instead of a small gap creating a buzzing sound it was a large gap creating a wooshing sound. They tried to blame the pillarless design and said I should expect more road noise in the A7 than normal cars. What a load of BS, the car was extremely quiet when I purchased it and the quiet cabin being one of the selling points.

As for the iPhone, it was not an iOS issue, it was a defect in an A7 wiring harness which they replaced. It wouldn't surprise me if they're wiring harness was outsourced to China or someplace similar with the lowest bidder.
How exactly did they "fix" the window sealing problem that made it worse? The glass can only raise so much, so I assume they replaced the black rubber trim that touches the glass when the door is closed?

So based on their reasoning that frameless windows make the car more noisy, I guess the Porsche Panamera and the VW CC and other sports cars with frameless windows are pretty bad too.

Last edited by aquarian; 07-23-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How exactly did they "fix" the window sealing problem that made it worse? The glass can only raise so much, so I assume they replaced the black rubber trim that touches the glass when the door is closed?

So based on their reasoning that frameless windows make the car more noisy, I guess the Porsche Panamera and the VW CC and other sports cars with frameless windows are pretty bad too.
Screenshot from email they sent me. After they did the work it went from a buzzing to me sitting in the front passenger seat and hearing louder road noise from the drivers side (left ear) than my side (right ear). So pretty significant road noise.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2011, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the fine print on your state's lemon law - its not 3 attempt to fix just any issue that triggers the lemon law, it has to be an issue they can't/won't fix that make the car not driveable. A rattle or a buzz won't trigger it.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nyca
Read the fine print on your state's lemon law - its not 3 attempt to fix just any issue that triggers the lemon law, it has to be an issue they can't/won't fix that make the car not driveable. A rattle or a buzz won't trigger it.
In Virginia:

'"Nonconformity" means a failure to conform with a warranty, a defect or a condition, including those that do not affect the driveability of the vehicle, which significantly impairs the use, market value, or safety of a motor vehicle.'

I floated this by my company's attorney and he said 'if it's not fixed the 3rd time, come to me, and we'll get it taken care of.' So I'm not too worried.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

In Virginia:

'"Nonconformity" means a failure to conform with a warranty, a defect or a condition, including those that do not affect the driveability of the vehicle, which significantly impairs the use, market value, or safety of a motor vehicle.'

I floated this by my company's attorney and he said 'if it's not fixed the 3rd time, come to me, and we'll get it taken care of.' So I'm not too worried.
I haven't had any problems yet. I've had the car for a month. I'm also in Virginia so I'd be interested in how it turns out. Sorry for you troubles. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Is anyone else having problems with their A7