A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Ash v walnut with black interior

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ash v walnut with black interior

I know choosing interior combination is based on personal taste but wanted to get opinions on which wood trim looks better with black leather. I like the ash and find it looks great with tan interior but it seems that the walnut contrasts better with the black interior. Ash seems to not show up as well against the black. Thoughts?
Old 01-08-2012, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Buddy1
I know choosing interior combination is based on personal taste but wanted to get opinions on which wood trim looks better with black leather. I like the ash and find it looks great with tan interior but it seems that the walnut contrasts better with the black interior. Ash seems to not show up as well against the black. Thoughts?
I had the same EXACT dilemma.I was in LOVE with the ash and drove my sales guy nuts trying to find an A7 that was already available with black leather so I didn't have to do a factory order. I too had seen the ash with a tan interior and it looked great. It wasn't until I saw it in a black interior that I started having second thoughts.

I originally felt the high gloss look of the walnut was "old school" and that the ash looked more hip. Well, after getting into two black interiors with each of the wood trims, I wound up reverting back to the walnut because I felt it "popped" more in the cabin and also gave a more luxurious feel to the interior.

I still love the ash but it somehow didn't make the interior feel as special to me with the black leather. I was really surprised that I went with the walnut in the end but happy I did.

Taste is completely subjective and I'm sure you'll find others who love the ash with the black as well. That's the beauty of choice I suppose. Good luck with your decision!

By the way, make sure you check out the black headliners if possible as it really makes the interior even more luxurious feeling to me than the light gray. Usually, there is an A8 with it on display to see if you like it or not. So glad I got mine with the black headliner instead.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
I had the same EXACT dilemma.I was in LOVE with the ash and drove my sales guy nuts trying to find an A7 that was already available with black leather so I didn't have to do a factory order. I too had seen the ash with a tan interior and it looked great. It wasn't until I saw it in a black interior that I started having second thoughts.

I originally felt the high gloss look of the walnut was "old school" and that the ash looked more hip. Well, after getting into two black interiors with each of the wood trims, I wound up reverting back to the walnut because I felt it "popped" more in the cabin and also gave a more luxurious feel to the interior.

I still love the ash but it somehow didn't make the interior feel as special to me with the black leather. I was really surprised that I went with the walnut in the end but happy I did.

Taste is completely subjective and I'm sure you'll find others who love the ash with the black as well. That's the beauty of choice I suppose. Good luck with your decision!

By the way, make sure you check out the black headliners if possible as it really makes the interior even more luxurious feeling to me than the light gray. Usually, there is an A8 with it on display to see if you like it or not. So glad I got mine with the black headliner instead.
You echoed my situation exactly. I love the ash and wanted it but feel that the walnut pops more with the black, warms up the dark interior and gives a more luxurious feel.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Not to change the focus, but would be interested if anyone has an opinion on the Ash vs Walnut with the Nougat interior with black headliner...
Old 01-08-2012, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kswwhite
Not to change the focus, but would be interested if anyone has an opinion on the Ash vs Walnut with the Nougat interior with black headliner...
I have on order a Prestige, Moonlight Blue, Nougat, Black Headliner. I chose ash as my preference before going to a dealer to see it in person. The dealer showed me the dealer order sheet. Ash is standard with Nougat interiors. You would need to make an exception to your order to get walnut with Nougat.

I prefer the ash because of it's uniqueness. The ash is great looking. I envision people getting into my car with the walnut inlay commenting "nice interior"; but when people see the ash, they will comment on how special and different it is from other wood interior treatments. Passengers will undoubtedly reach out and rub the wood. The ash is both great looking and an attention getter.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kswwhite
That's the combination we settled on when we compared them in a dealership. There was a A7 with the walnut trim. It was in the showroom next to a A6 with the ash trim.

We felt that the color of the ash went better with the nougat but we also felt that the ash was casual and the walnut was formal. It's nougat, walnut and a black headliner when we fill out the order sheet.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window up/down via remote

I had to code my A4 to do window up/down using the key. This does not work on the A7. Can someone provide insight to what needs to be changed via VAG COM to make this work?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ambarsaria
I had to code my A4 to do window up/down using the key. This does not work on the A7. Can someone provide insight to what needs to be changed via VAG COM to make this work?
We have tried it and did not work.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jfourman
I prefer the ash because of it's uniqueness. The ash is great looking. I envision people getting into my car with the walnut inlay commenting "nice interior"; but when people see the ash, they will comment on how special and different it is from other wood interior treatments. Passengers will undoubtedly reach out and rub the wood. The ash is both great looking and an attention getter.
Good comments...I appreciate the input. I'll still with Ash.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My A7 was ordered on Jan 3, 2012. Just last week my salesman said the ash is no longer in production and had to be either oak, dark walnut or brushed aluminum. How is it that you still have the light ash trim choice?

also, what is the black headliner?

Quick Reply: Ash v walnut with black interior