A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Audi Brake Dust Sucks :-(

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Brake Dust Sucks :-(

What to do about this brake dust problem. 5 Audi's later and it still irritates me that the Germans haven't fixed this. Don't say it is the "quality", because I paid a lot for rims to be coated in a mega second by brake dust. Help, what are you all doing about it?
Thanks
Old 09-04-2011, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

German cars in general all make lots of brake dust I believe it is a tradeoff between great performance and dust, or no dust but car won't stop as quickly.

I have always have had great luck with putting the same paint sealant (wax) that you put on the car over the paint on wheels. Then you can easily spray away with the dust with just water or use the same soap you use for washing the car and a very soft boar's hair brush to wash them.

Just a note, if you ever use a "wheel cleaner" spray it will be acidic and remove the wax and it will stick badly. This includes using a car wash. If you wax them and use ph neutral soap it usually lasts about 3 months for me.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinDaytona
German cars in general all make lots of brake dust I believe it is a tradeoff between great performance and dust, or no dust but car won't stop as quickly.

I have always have had great luck with putting the same paint sealant (wax) that you put on the car over the paint on wheels. Then you can easily spray away with the dust with just water or use the same soap you use for washing the car and a very soft boar's hair brush to wash them.

Just a note, if you ever use a "wheel cleaner" spray it will be acidic and remove the wax and it will stick badly. This includes using a car wash. If you wax them and use ph neutral soap it usually lasts about 3 months for me.
Kevin, thanks a lot, will give it a go and see what happens.
Joe
Old 09-04-2011, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sure thing, I forgot to mention I usually do clean them once a week even if I don't wash the whole car. Its rainy season here right now so I just take 5 minutes and just do the wheels so it doesn't stay on there too long.