A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Audi Drive Select in A7 doesn't do suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Drive Select in A7 doesn't do suspension?

In reading the A7 brochure, it describes ADS only in terms of the tranny and steering dynamics, not suspension. That says the A7 doesn't have the dynamic magneride based suspension that lets you dial in Comfort, Normal or Sport. Is that correct?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ErnestHouse
In reading the A7 brochure, it describes ADS only in terms of the tranny and steering dynamics, not suspension. That says the A7 doesn't have the dynamic magneride based suspension that lets you dial in Comfort, Normal or Sport. Is that correct?
Correct - for A7 in the US.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by looking@audi
Correct - for A7 in the US.
Only the C7 S6 and S7 have adjustable suspension in North America as part of the ADS system (throttle/gear mapping, steering effort, seat belt tension and optional Auto Cruise Control sensitivity settings only). The A4/S4 w/ADS and A8/S8 all have it. Never understood why the A6/A7 omitted ADS suspension other than as a cost move by Audi in the US and Canada.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does it save money for Audi?

You make it an option. People who don't want ADS get the "cost savings". Those who want ADS buy an A7. Arguably, it actually loses money every time a buyer goes elsewhere because it's not even an option. They did the same thing with the Q5 Hybrid. Even though it's Prestige trim level, you cannot get a bunch of stuff that's on the 3.0T Prestige (ADS being one of them).
Old 05-28-2013, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnestHouse
How does it save money for Audi?

You make it an option. People who don't want ADS get the "cost savings". Those who want ADS buy an A7. Arguably, it actually loses money every time a buyer goes elsewhere because it's not even an option. They did the same thing with the Q5 Hybrid. Even though it's Prestige trim level, you cannot get a bunch of stuff that's on the 3.0T Prestige (ADS being one of them).
Every component they include requires a certification process to be sold in the U.S.. Perhaps Audi decided the market didn't demand the feature and they saved on the cost of certification. I have no idea why Audi decides to not include certain options that are available in other countries and this one is certainly not a singular example. It is what it is. Frankly, I don't miss having it. There's enough tech in my car to keep me happy for quite awhile. Also, my A6 default 19" Sports package ride is surprisingly comfortable - more than my former non-sport A4 (no ADS) but at the same time, feels equally nimble despite the greater weight and size. The lowered Sport suspension looks better as well.