A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Audi Drive Select question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Audi Drive Select question

Trust me guys, I have read the manual many times and in reference to page 102, the Audi Drive Select section does not have the answer for my question.

For those that have the A7, if you select Dynamic, there would be an icon S below the D on the instrument cluster meaning you are in S gear position. However, after you shut down the car and restart, the icon S will be gone, but under Audi Drive Select the dynamic mode is still selected. Normal? Does that mean that in order for the dynamic mode to use S gear position, one has to select Dynamic every time even though the Dynamic is already the default?

Please test is out on your A7, thanks!
Old 06-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question. If i had to guess, I would say you do not have to keep switching it if you shut off the car under Dynamics. When I am in dynamic mode - it is pretty darn obvious...and when I start the car up...its easy for me to tell that it is still in dynamic...
Old 06-16-2011, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The S is actually above D, so please ignore what I wrote.

Also, I just did some testing and according to manual page 109, the S mode is activated by pulling the shift selector back briefly. I guess when the dynamic mode is selected, the S mode for the transmission is automatically selected as well. If the car is shut down, the S mode is no longer selected, unless you tap the selector back.

In other words, the dynamic mode will always stay. The sport mode "S" of the transmission is not active all the time even during the Dynamic mode - only when you select it the first time.

And, the sport mode "S" can be active with any other mode other than Dynamic mode.

So it looks like there are more "driving characteristics" that are available other than the 3 that we know about - Engine/Transmission, Steering, and suspension (correct me if I am wrong here)
Old 06-16-2011, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here is a review that mentions that the Audi Drive Select involves suspension..

"Let the eight-speed Shiftronic gear box do the work for you or shift manually on the console and steering wheel paddles. Tailor A7 to your liking by using Audi Drive Select to change the steering and throttle response, even the suspension firmness."

http://drivencarreviews.com/2011/05/...-video-review/
Old 06-16-2011, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it changes the suspension. I thought the three things that change are the same ones you can select in individual mode - transmission in "sport" mode, steering feel, and auto belt tensioning. I have a lift in my garage and have been under the A7 and see nothing but regular looking shocks under there. My MDX has comfort and sport modes for the suspension and there are electronic and hydraulic hoses running to each shock to enable that. I think they are planning on a selectable suspension for the upcoming S7.

P.S. - I am not a mechanic so feel free to prove me wrong!