A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Brake grabbing

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Suggestions came up that the brake noise I was describing is somehow related to the electric brakes associated with the Adaptive Cruse Control system.

I would like to know if those of you that experience the same noise I get do have the electric brakes or not.

Conversly, it would be interesting to know if those having silky smooth braking have cars without the electric system or not.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this problem but I do NOT have adaptive cruise control.

FYI the dealership recognized it as a problem but audi corporate tech said it was 'normal for this model'

Lol good luck
Old 10-05-2011, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, I have the same issue. I was wondering about it but figured it must be something I was doing. When I saw this post, I realized that it wasn't.

FWIW, my car has the adaptive cruise control and I believe it was one of the "launch cars" that had been sitting on the lot for quite some time. I know this because it actually has the backup camera installed, so it came over before the tsunami hit Japan.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fkaufman
I am experiencing a strange phenomena when stopping. I press the brake pedal, the car slows down as it should. When it is almost at a stop, I let the pedal come up a bit so the car will come to a smooth stop. I have been using this technique for over 40 years on dozens of vehicles and it always worked fine (including various Audi models).

In my new 2012 A7 it makes no difference if I let the pedal up a bit or not, at the moment when the car ready to finally stop, the brakes grab, make a rubbing/screeching noise and the car jerks before coming to a final stop.

First I let it go, thinking that it is new, the pads/rotors will need to wear in and the grabbing will disappear. However, I have now passed 4500km and it is still there.

Audi service told me that this is the design, it may have something to do with the automatic electric braking option and they can't do anything about it.

I'm not buying it, as far as I am concerned the least I can expect from an $85,000 car is a smooth stop.

I would appreciate some feedback if this symptom is systemic and others experience it also or is it a defect on my car only.

Hey Guys
Im on my way back to DC from Dallas. Picked up my A7 last Thursday. As of today I have 1360 miles on it and I think I might have an anwser to the brake grab. Those of you that this is happening, do you have the Adaptive Cruise? Is the leaver forward in the on position? I have been playing with this feature today in traffic as I have been afraid to let the car stop on its on.....
So if the leaver is forward and the cruise is not engaged, the system is still active. The brakes are grabbing as the car thinks you are to close. The car did it to me twice today. But when the ACC is on and working the system will slow the car down to a complete stop AND will only continue when you tap the gas pedal.
I hope this helps.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I see this still happens to 2019 Q7. The problem disappears with the engine auto stop/start disabled.

Wonder if this can be tuned out by Audi with programming the engine stop timing?