A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Can I put 2016 A7 head and taillights in a 2013 A7?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I put 2016 A7 head and taillights in a 2013 A7?

A friend of mind just saw the face lifted A7 and just loved the new headlights and taillights. He's never has time to ask or search around in forums so i'm going to do the work. The current 2016 A7 and 2012-2014 A7s seem to have the same shape head and taillights. So in theory he could buy the 2016 parts and install them on his 2013 right?
Old 07-23-2015, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

The '16 headlights and grill are different than previous years. It wouldn't be an even swap and you'd have some massive gaps left over. Previous years headlights are much wider as they get closer to the grill and the inner corners of the headlights angle downwards - the '16s have more of the body showing and come to a slight upwards point as they near the grill.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by asian_A7
A friend of mind just saw the face lifted A7 and just loved the new headlights and taillights. He's never has time to ask or search around in forums so i'm going to do the work. The current 2016 A7 and 2012-2014 A7s seem to have the same shape head and taillights. So in theory he could buy the 2016 parts and install them on his 2013 right?
You are correct, in theory he could buy the 2016 parts and install them on his 2013. However, it would involve besides the lights the sheet metal and plastic parts surrounding the lights (fender, bumper, hood etc.)

Even further, the lights are not simply light bulbs, like in the good old days, but complex electronic circuits with their own controller units. So changing the lights will involve either reprogramming or changing and recoding the controllers also.

Not an easy task as the info to do it isn't readily available. Besides that, the cost can be horrendous.

My guess is that it would cost less to trade the car for a new 2016 model.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:28 PM
RAF_S7

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can upgrade the rear lights using the 2016 model lights with the sweeping indicators. However its not a cheap modification (no changes to bodywork required)

Have a look at this thread from a sister site. I have done this modification, and its pretty cool!

Facelift tail lights available

I purchased my upgrade from BKS-Tuning (Google them) You need an adaptor module, and you have to run some new wires inside the tailgate as well as change some plugs over. Its not difficult, but if you struggle with anything technical it may be a challenge!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jkwelsh
You can upgrade the rear lights using the 2016 model lights with the sweeping indicators. However its not a cheap modification (no changes to bodywork required)

Have a look at this thread from a sister site. I have done this modification, and its pretty cool!

Facelift tail lights available

I purchased my upgrade from BKS-Tuning (Google them) You need an adaptor module, and you have to run some new wires inside the tailgate as well as change some plugs over. Its not difficult, but if you struggle with anything technical it may be a challenge!
Is there any video anyone has done so it won't be as hard?
Old 07-27-2015, 03:11 AM
RAF_S7

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No video that Im aware of.

Removing the existing lights is actually pretty straight forward, whats a pain is removing the interior tailgate trim (including the tailgate arm trim) in order to access the inner lights and run the new cable between the outer and inner light on each side, and rewiring a couple of plugs.

The trim mostly pops off - just watch out for the bolt behind the hidden compartment on the tailgate trim. It takes a real hard pull to unclip in most cases. I was very wary as didn't want to break anything. A set of trim removal tools is very useful (mine were like $10 of fleebay)

For the inner lights you need to manually extend the spoiler and remove two plastic covers above the lights and unbolt.

For the outer lights, you access one nut from inside the trunk area (there are access panels to remove on both sides) then you pull off the black rubber side panel on the light housing, and there is another (bolt if I remember) under there that needs to be removed.

Physically installing the new light housings is a direct reversal of how you took the originals out, so nothing too complex.

In order to fit the new control modules (one to each outer light), you need to change out the original connectors with the ones supplied in the kit. Its quite fiddly - take the original plug apart, then using a slim tool pop each of the connector pins out and place them into the new plugs as shown in the BKS diagram. I found that using a scalpel was the best way to extract the pins.

To connect the new inner lights you also have to swap the plugs out.

The long cable you will receive in the kit needs to be connected between the new modules and each of their respective inner lights. Because of the tailgate opening, you need to route the new cable behind all the appropriate trim panels and tailgate arms to ensure nothing gets caught when opening/closing.

On the wiring of the inner light plugs, it was a little more trial and error, as BKS only supply the diagram for one side - however the colour coding of the wires is different for the other side, once you've done one side and tested everything works, you will have a better idea where everything goes.

Good Luck!.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have anyone install the face lifted headlights on the 2015 and below. I am sure this will also require new bumper and the fitting will work but not sure the electrical part of the lighting?
Old 03-18-2021, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asian_A7

I'm currently working on this situation a few months ago I bought a 2014 audi a7 from the auction and decided to retrofit the front bumper headlights and taillights so far I was able to get everything on.

I bought the 2016-2018 chinese fl tail lights I had to rewire pin 5 to pin 2 but I got everythingto work on the taillights you do lose fog lights and gain dynamic sweeping lights they look great btw.

And on the headlights I bought 2x 2016 headlights and 2x 7PP941472k modules off of ebay and decided to use the old day running light modules from the 2013 headlights they connect but they don't fit to the new headlights the 2016 day running lights modules are shape different.

The problem that I'm stuck on is trying to get the low beams to work I notice a yellow connector on the headlights but I don't have that wire so I think that wire harness may be the matrix light that turns the low beam lights on. Wish someone could confirm that who has a 2016 audi a7 or a7

The following users liked this post:
miawazhere (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jordan Walker
I'm currently working on this situation a few months ago I bought a 2014 audi a7 from the auction and decided to retrofit the front bumper headlights and taillights so far I was able to get everything on.

I bought the 2016-2018 chinese fl tail lights I had to rewire pin 5 to pin 2 but I got everythingto work on the taillights you do lose fog lights and gain dynamic sweeping lights they look great btw.

And on the headlights I bought 2x 2016 headlights and 2x 7PP941472k modules off of ebay and decided to use the old day running light modules from the 2013 headlights they connect but they don't fit to the new headlights the 2016 day running lights modules are shape different.

The problem that I'm stuck on is trying to get the low beams to work I notice a yellow connector on the headlights but I don't have that wire so I think that wire harness may be the matrix light that turns the low beam lights on. Wish someone could confirm that who has a 2016 audi a7 or a7

can you please help me understand the rewriting needed I’m struggling.