A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Change seats in the A7

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Mostly. I've found that you have to be more creative in positioning stuff in the trunk, but so far it's all worked out. Having the LWB model will come in handy for trunk overflow on occasion. The biggest problem will be for longer items that won't bend to fit diagonally across the width of the trunk.
Or if you have luggage to haul for 3 or 4 and want to keep the cabin free of luggage.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't there an S Line option for the US ? They have the sports seats which are much much better than the standard ones. There are probably financial reasons why Audi don't give more choice to the US , but where's the customer satisfaction when the bean counters are in charge or the options list? It's lunacy.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jetinder
Isn't there an S Line option for the US ? They have the sports seats which are much much better than the standard ones. There are probably financial reasons why Audi don't give more choice to the US , but where's the customer satisfaction when the bean counters are in charge or the options list? It's lunacy.
I think they get basic seats even with S-line, which is more than stupid!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jetinder
There's only one seat design "choice" for the U.S.--the "standard" seat. It's 12 way adjustable and heated. For the Prestige package ("S-Line"), the seat is can be actively ventilated---not cooled, just air venting through the perforated leather seat and back surfaces.

No Sport seat and no Comfort seat options for the U.S. market.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

gb4.2 - I believe that is how all ventilated/cooled seats work - I have had that feature in a Lexus, Mercedes, and now Audi. They simply suck in the cabin air and blow it through the seats. It's not like there is an AC coil running through it or similar.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by gb4.2
Or if you have luggage to haul for 3 or 4 and want to keep the cabin free of luggage.
Then you'd need soft outer-skin leather or fabric luggage pieces to cram in the trunk. I think the trunk has a bit more height volume vs. the D3, so you can also do a bit more "stacking" to get things to fit.

Last edited by derfA8L; 05-11-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bmcds4
gb4.2 - I believe that is how all ventilated/cooled seats work - I have had that feature in a Lexus, Mercedes, and now Audi. They simply suck in the cabin air and blow it through the seats. It's not like there is an AC coil running through it or similar.
I believe you're correct---I was just pointing out that "cooled" seats are more appropriately "actively ventilated" as you described---a fan system which blows ambient air through the perforated leather. I've had these in two D3 A8L's and they work OK when set at "6" (maximum setting). Someone in the D4 A8/A8L forum felt the active ventilation in those seats actually cooled the air. That's not my understanding but maybe someone with a D4 could clarify this.

Either way, the U.S. market is denied anything more than the standard seat with or without active ventilation. No "Comfort" seat with more adjustments and the potential of the various massage functions controlled by the MMI and no sport seat.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Then you'd need soft outer-skin leather or fabric luggage pieces to cram in the trunk. I think the trunk has a bit more height volume vs. the D3, so you can also do a bit more "stacking" to get thinks to fit.
You may be right about the height but the overall volume is, nonetheless, dramatically less than the D3 no matter how you stack or cram it.

I was actually shocked when I opened the trunk on the D4 demo our dealer had a few months ago when it arrived. The trunk is simply disproportionate to the car. I know of several other D3 owners who've walked away from a D4 for this very reason. I guess I'll always be puzzled by the decision to equip it in this manner even with the details you provided in an earlier post.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Te d4 just sucks the air away via the little holes in the seats.

I spoke with an Audi fellow last week about the rear storage space and he said that they'd raised concerns about the d4 boot when they first saw it, but Germany wanted to go down the new route of putting all the electrics behind the back seats and make up the storage volume wi the side pods.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gb4.2
I believe you're correct---I was just pointing out that "cooled" seats are more appropriately "actively ventilated" as you described---a fan system which blows ambient air through the perforated leather. I've had these in two D3 A8L's and they work OK when set at "6" (maximum setting). Someone in the D4 A8/A8L forum felt the active ventilation in those seats actually cooled the air. That's not my understanding but maybe someone with a D4 could clarify this.

Either way, the U.S. market is denied anything more than the standard seat with or without active ventilation. No "Comfort" seat with more adjustments and the potential of the various massage functions controlled by the MMI and no sport seat.
My wife drives the Lexus SUV with ventilated seats and the seats do feel cool when turned on in the higher settings with the A/C turned on but doesn't feel "cool" if the A/C is off. As indicated in the other posts, it apparently takes the air blown from the ventilation system so with no A/C on, no cooling, just ventilation. I ordered a 2012 A6 without this option since I didn't care for it. I didn't feel it cooled that well (on the Lexus) and the perforated seats appeared to keep more dirt in than the regular Nappa leather seats on my S4 IMHO.

Quick Reply: Change seats in the A7