A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Chipping an A7

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chipping an A7

OK folks, I have heard and read a lot surrounding "chipping" an A7. I love the concept, but need to know the truth about a few things. Can you weigh in factually (no guessing please). If you don't know, please don't respond with a guess, as this is important for all of us considering this mod.

1. - Does chipping void the warranty in reality!!! 100%?
2. - Does this require the "chip" and a software mod?
3. - Is it flawless, i.e. no problems with rest of car as a result?
4. - Anything else required?
5. - Upsides to doing this?
6. - Any other downsides to going this route
7. - Finally, there are a couple of "chippers" referenced here. Do you know the best for this in the New Jersey area?

Thanks, and if this is real, the chip will be my next "toy" and "treat" for my A7. It deserves a birthday gift in August :-).
Old 05-20-2012, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Posting a question in a public forum and asking people not to respond if they are not sure is, well, arrogant.

You will never get a complete answer for all of your questions even from people who have "chipped" their previous Audis.

Last edited by aquarian; 05-20-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=aquarian;24302012]Posting a question in a public forum and asking people not to respond if they are not sure is, well, arrogant.

Arrogant? I'm sorry but this isn't my style....just asking for "factual" responses. Is there something wrong with this, if so...."what am I missing"?
Old 05-20-2012, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of info available under the "Search" feature in the forums... I got tons of answers on this same topic by entering "Stasis Warranty".
Old 05-20-2012, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raslam77
A lot of info available under the "Search" feature in the forums... I got tons of answers on this same topic by entering "Stasis Warranty".
Thanks a million Raslam77. Much appreciated and will filter through there. You going for it?
Have a great week!
Old 05-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think it is a great set of questions and I understand the need for solid answers...but this is a forum so reader beware.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

And they aren't "chips" anymore. Just a software download to the car's cpu. The software basically increases the amount of boost the supercharger makes.

The warranty things is a whole can of worms. Happy reading.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by slojotaa
OK folks, I have heard and read a lot surrounding "chipping" an A7. I love the concept, but need to know the truth about a few things. Can you weigh in factually (no guessing please). If you don't know, please don't respond with a guess, as this is important for all of us considering this mod.

1. - Does chipping void the warranty in reality!!! 100%?
2. - Does this require the "chip" and a software mod?
3. - Is it flawless, i.e. no problems with rest of car as a result?
4. - Anything else required?
5. - Upsides to doing this?
6. - Any other downsides to going this route
7. - Finally, there are a couple of "chippers" referenced here. Do you know the best for this in the New Jersey area?

Thanks, and if this is real, the chip will be my next "toy" and "treat" for my A7. It deserves a birthday gift in August :-).

1. Yes you will void your warranty on your powertrain and electronics possibly. It is illegal for them to void your warranty on an unrelated part. So they can't void your paint warranty because you reflashed your ecu. That does not mean they won't try to screw you anyways. Also it is illegal and not right to claim warranty on something your reflash broke by flashing the ecu back to stock.

2. On all newer cars there is no physical chipping required. And is strictly a software mod.

3. Nothing in life is flawless this applies to ecu flash and everything else. (free life lesson) Generally its relatively trouble free. I've seen a few bricked ecu's in evo and subaru and I have had an mercedes reflashed ecu die on me on the freeway for no apparent reason. Don't know if it is the reflash that caused it so I just paid out of pocket to get it fixed.

4. Reflashes are usually a stand alone mod these days. Mods are optional and the ecu maps may have to be tweaked depending on what other modifications you have done to your car.

5. More power

6. You may break your engine

7. Only one with official word is Stasis which you get though a Stasis authorized Audi dealer. Rumor has it that APR will release one but no solid information on it.

An off the shelf reflash may not be for every one as every car is different and every driving situation is different. It probably wont matter since most drivers don't even drive their cars up to 50% of their potential. And most A7 driver won't be taking their cars to a race track.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Personal choice

Doing the ECU thing is caveat emptor, for sure. It just comes to personal choice. If you're happy with the risk -- and there is some risk -- do it. If not...

Myself, I'm doing the Stasis ECU when it comes out.

But I do know of a few "Audians" who buy the car just so they can modify it. I'm starting to fall this way, although I'm not near as aggressive as they are.

We all buy the car for different reasons. Myself, I like that there's mods available for it.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I chipped my A4 (AVANT, 2002, 1.8T, 5-spd) and thoroughly enjoyed it for 10 years and +130k miles.
I am not yet convinced there is any need in the A7.