A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Clear Bra and Ceramic Tint

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra and Ceramic Tint

Ive searched the forums, and I see that the A7 crowd is pretty silent when it comes to opinions on clear bras and ceramic window tint.

Can I solicit some opinions?

I have a clear bra on 1/2 of my Porsche Cayman hood, on the headlights and foglights, front bumper, and on the exterior mirrors. The car is 4 years old and the bra needs to be replaced, but it sure has saved me from many rocks, bugs, guano and other road hazards. I wish I put it on the leading 4" of my roof....next time, I will.

As for ceramic tint, the Cayman is black on black, so I was told that the ceramic tint will help keep the interior cool and help prevent the interior from fading (....but since you dont tint the windshield, IMHO, that is the Achilles Heel of that argument).

What are the opinions on Ceramic Tint?

Im out, Ill hang up and listen, thanks.

Tiptoe
Houston, Texas
Old 10-03-2011, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

My A7 has Ventureshield clear bra on the entire front clip. Can't stand seeing that line across the hood when you only go halfway up. I also had him add a strip along the bumper under the hatch to help protect when I lift things in and out of the cargo area. As for tints, I did 35% all around but not ceramic.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I know what you mean about the line across the hood. I'm not a fan, and now, after for years of having that bra on, when I take it off, I'm worried that the hood will look like a bad side by side car wax ad.

Great tip about installing film on the rear deck, thanks.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, you can tint your windshield. your tint shop should be aware of 3m Cristaline. Its 45x better then ceramic at beating the heat and the UV rays. they have 99% down to 45% (the lower the number the darker) My tint guy that has done 9 of my cars keeps pushing me todo it. I about did it when i did the a6 but i just cant swallow 240 for a front windshield. Especially when doing everything but the windshield my cars have always stayed cool and i have never had any fading issues.

check into it, 3M i believe has only offered the crystaline to premium well experienced window tinters, so shop around for it.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...omotive_Films/

As for the bra, i cannot stand seeing that line and the film looks like **** after a couple years. And when you pull it off you do even more damage then just letting the front get hit by rocks. DRCOLORCHIP works really well for chips. And ive always said that if my front gets hit bad then ill just have the bumper repainted.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Brenden - I used to feel the same way about clear bra. I did not get it put on the Z06 and after 3 years the front end looked horrible. Dr. Colorchip worked about the same as a good touch up kit. Not like it does on TV. So I paid to have the front end painted and THEN the Ventureshield went on. A year of driving and not a single mark. I learned my lesson. Bear in mind, the installer makes the difference. This is not a DIY job.