A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Convenience Key not working outside 3ft range?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convenience Key not working outside 3ft range?

The vehicle won't lock or unlock unless I'm right next to it. They're replacing a booster in the trunk but I'm a little dubious on that working (I'll keep you posted). Sometimes, even when sitting right in the driver seat, I'll have to hold the key up to the sensor to get it to start. Also, the dash will give me a warning that the key is not in the vehicle while I'm driving down the road. Anyone else out there have these issues?
Old 07-05-2011, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow... crazy bugs!! Ask your dealer to replace your key... it obviously has a faulty transmitter.

...is this happening to both keys?
Old 07-05-2011, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I had it happened to me ounce a few weeks ago while I was driving. The dashboard warning went away in a few seconds and never happened again...
Old 07-05-2011, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrA7
The vehicle won't lock or unlock unless I'm right next to it. They're replacing a booster in the trunk but I'm a little dubious on that working (I'll keep you posted). Sometimes, even when sitting right in the driver seat, I'll have to hold the key up to the sensor to get it to start. Also, the dash will give me a warning that the key is not in the vehicle while I'm driving down the road. Anyone else out there have these issues?
If it was me - I will check first keys, before touch anything (aka buster) in the trunk. I agree with roho3323 on this - must be a keys transmitter.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It happens with both keys. I would think it would be a transmitter issue too, and I would think the transmitter would be in the keys.. but why would there be a booster in the trunk? What is that boosting? I really just wanted to see if this was a common issue or if I just have rotten luck. :P
Old 07-06-2011, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have an iPhone or similar right near the key? I can't remember if it was an Audi forum or my Z06 forum but having a smartphone in the same pocket as your smartkey was causing interference. Just an idea to try. I'd swap out the batteries as a cheap test.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

If it happens with both keys I highly doubt its the batteries or the transmitters in the keys.

It sounds like an issue with the receiver/sensor for the transmitted signal. The booster they are referring to might actually be what receives the signal and they are just using the wrong terminology.

In my wife's old Cadillac that had similar keys, we did have an issue once or twice where it said the key was not detected when sitting in the car and trying to start it. On the Cadillac, there was this "slot" in the arm rest where you can insert the key and it "re-syncs" the key and receiver. Apparently some codes are transmitted from the key which may sometimes get out of sync.

Not sure if Audi's smart key has something similar. Try looking in your owners manual. There should be a section which talks about the smart key and it may have info on this.

Just guessing, though I would assume the dealer would know this if it was the case.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmcds4
Do you have an iPhone or similar right near the key? I can't remember if it was an Audi forum or my Z06 forum but having a smartphone in the same pocket as your smartkey was causing interference. Just an idea to try. I'd swap out the batteries as a cheap test.
O, yes, I have this too, and learn to never put my phone near my key.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am having the same problem with my keys. They do not open the doors unless I am within a couple feet of the car and some times I have to take the key out of my pocket and physically push the unlock button to get it to work. While driving the car can not find the key and issues a warning. This happens about one an hour. I have replaced the batteries on both keys and have taken it in to the dealer for service. They could not find anything wrong. Now a new problem has appeared where the car doesn't think I have my seat belt on and issues a warning for that also. So lucky me I get to drive down the road with seat belt and convenience key warnings every few minutes. It's driving me nuts. Off to the dealer again I go.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2THRSQ
I am having the same problem with my keys. They do not open the doors unless I am within a couple feet of the car and some times I have to take the key out of my pocket and physically push the unlock button to get it to work. While driving the car can not find the key and issues a warning. This happens about one an hour. I have replaced the batteries on both keys and have taken it in to the dealer for service. They could not find anything wrong. Now a new problem has appeared where the car doesn't think I have my seat belt on and issues a warning for that also. So lucky me I get to drive down the road with seat belt and convenience key warnings every few minutes. It's driving me nuts. Off to the dealer again I go.

What car do you have?

Quick Reply: Convenience Key not working outside 3ft range?