A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Custom Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nicely done! Reminds me of this custom subwoofer job ...

Old 10-23-2012, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Very nice work there. That looks every bit as good, if not better, than a JL Audio stealthbox.

I'm a big Hertz/Audison fan myself.

Got a full Hertz, Audison system in my car now.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes. I showed them the photo of your sub. How does it sound?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ballbagz
Are you willing to make another sub enclosure? How much
I used a company to build it here in Dallas. If you look around enough, you could probably find someone to do it locally
Old 03-27-2013, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am talking with a stereo shop about upgrading my Bose system on my new S7. I am curious if you are satisfied with your new amp and sub, or if you are also thinking of also replacing the speakers? I am seeking a "good" system that looks as stock as possible, for a reasonable price. My B & O system on my '10 S4 was actually quite nice. I could not justify spending the money for the B & O in my new S7, but I am disappointed with the Bose system as the sound is not rich and full.
Anything that you would do differently or recommend to me before I make my decision on trying to improve the sound quality on my Bose system?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had the system for 8 months and I am still loving it. I got the idea to install the cabinet in the back trunk cubby hole from another user on the forum. I had a local shop customize the cabinet in that cubby hole on the passenger side and added an 8 in Hertz speaker. The 300 watt Pinnacle amplifier resides in the cubby hole on the driver's side. There are several brands of sub woofers and amplifiers that you can use but I think the quality of the cabinet is the most important factor, so take your time and find a good installer. I left the existing front and rear Bose speakers in place. The stereo shop wants to take them all out and replace them but, like you, I wanted to keep everything as stock as possible. I especially did not want anyone tearing into the car any more than necessary. So, to answer your question, I wouldn't do anything different and it was worth every penny.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Perfect timing on your response as I have an appointment tomorrow at a quality stereo shop! We are installing a custom enclosure with a JL Audio 8" sub and a JL Audio amp in the same location as yours. My stereo shop also was recommending replacing the speakers, but my response was the same as you! Really glad to hear that you are pleased!
After looking at the Bose sub location, the small size and lack of power, I really felt like that the factory sub was the primary weakness of the system! Thanks.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good Luck. Let me know how it works out.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dont forget the AudioControl LC2i. Bose has some funky sound adjustment system that needs to be compensated for. The LC 2i will do this.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjA7
I've had the system for 8 months and I am still loving it.
Well, I love the look of jjA7's custom enclosure but I'm trying to do this project at approximately half the cost. Another issue is I lease the car and will only have it for another 30 months.

A recommended custom audio installer took a look at my A7 and suggested an 8 inch JL Audio Sub enclosure. He would install a JL Audio sub amp concealed in the driver side hatch cubby, and the sub would sit in the back. It could be easily removed if I needed to put anything large in the trunk.

The shop owner said it would lack a certain "custom" install look, but should probably sound better because the JL Audio sub enclosure is designed to deliver better bass than a cubby.

A few questions:

1. Anyone on this forum used a JL Audio sub enclosure in their A7- and what is your opinion? (People on Chrutchfield rave about the JL Audio, but most people install them in the cab of their trucks.) Which leads me to the following question:

2. Regardless of what sub enclosure you use, do you get decent bass with the sub located so far in back - or do you need to open the ski pass-through for better sound?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1369313...r#overview-tab
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Custom Subwoofer