A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Data SIM and phone

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Data SIM and phone

Sorry if this has been cover many times before, but I could not find anything.

Is it possible to set the MMI to only use the sim card for data, and use my iphone that is connected via bluetooth as the phone?

Now it seems like numbers are dialed by the dashboard SIM, but I am able use the directory from my iphone tho.

There is only one signal for 3g on the screen, and I guess thats for the SIM in dash.

Im new to the A7.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You want the car to use the data from the iphone ? If so No. At some point the contacts get synced between your phone and the car, its not like the car SIM is dialing #'s. Its only a data SIM card...

Originally Posted by Snappy79
Sorry if this has been cover many times before, but I could not find anything.

Is it possible to set the MMI to only use the sim card for data, and use my iphone that is connected via bluetooth as the phone?

Now it seems like numbers are dialed by the dashboard SIM, but I am able use the directory from my iphone tho.

There is only one signal for 3g on the screen, and I guess thats for the SIM in dash.

Im new to the A7.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Sim

The dash SIM acts like a phone, and data as I see it.

If I make calls, it comming from the dash SIM. Anyway.

What I want is:
- The SIM in dash should only be there for data trafic.
- My iphone, which is connected via bluetooth should receive the calls, and dial #.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

uh as far as i know No, the T Mobile SIM that comes with the car, if you are in the US is data only buddy. When the phone is synced to the car all calls and contacts can be seen on the display....

Originally Posted by Snappy79
The dash SIM acts like a phone, and data as I see it.

If I make calls, it comming from the dash SIM. Anyway.

What I want is:
- The SIM in dash should only be there for data trafic.
- My iphone, which is connected via bluetooth should receive the calls, and dial #.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That is correct. MMI is data only from its SIM to the TMO network. It cannot act as a phone. But MMI can act as an phone interface through BT with your phone.

I was in the EU and saw Audis where MMI was enabled to be full fledged car phone and data connection. Anyone think it's just a VAGCOM coding Or MMI hidden menu change???

And your cell phone cannot share it data connection with MMI. MMI can serve as a wifi hotspot if it has its own data connection, but it cannot get data from your phone acting as a hotspot.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The MMI can act as a standalone phone. my sim came with a # however like Worldwidebeagle said its an overseas thing, but wont be surprised if there are a few settings to make it active.

maybe i should call the number? LOL, it would be funny if the call does go through.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

The OP doesn't say where he is located. If in Europe, for example, the MMI can be tethered from a phone if it has RSAP. If in NA, however, the OP is confusing two separate things. Bluetooth is used for allowing the car to control the phone for calls and directory uploads to the MMI only but no data (also Bluetooth Audio using the phone as a source which is a separate MMI function from telephone calls).
The SIM card is strictly used for Audi Connect data and as an in car wifi hot spot client. In NA there is no interaction with a phone and the sim card.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Im in norway (europe)

My wife have have her twin sim card in the dash slot.

That makes that the car phone.

When im entering the car with my iphone, it connects to the car, and enable me to stream music, and access directory.

If I take her sim out of the dash my phone becomes the phone.

I dont have an option to use the dash sim for data only.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

OP, do you have firmware 0814? If so, you can control in the phone settings how you want to make phone calls. With the 0814 firmware you can indeed make phone calls directly from the MMI, this was previously an EU thing only. However, the T-Mobile SIM isn't provisioned for voice, so make sure it is set to cell phone in the settings.

CORRECTION: Just saw your post that you are in Norway. So, forget what I said about the firmware version. That's the US version. However, the setting is the same in the EU version. Go change it to cell phone to make sure your calls are made through your phone over Bluetooth.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-11-2015 at 05:39 PM.