A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Dealer Demo bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Demo bad idea?

I'm looking to get into an A7 and found a leftover 2012 at my local dealer. Turns out though its a dealer demo vehicle with 1400 miles. It's sold as a new vehicle, not pre-owned, and they seem amenable to $4000 under invoice at least.

I'm looking for some advice and pros and cons of pursuing this deal. I know some folks will focus (-) on the possibility that this car was mistreated and others will focus (+) on the potential for getting a large discount.

I noticed plenty of scratches on the hood as if someone tried to wipe it down with a dirty rag. Not sure if it would buff out easily. Nevertheless it seems to speak to the level of care that was given to the vehicle while in employees hands.

Thoughts?
Old 12-31-2012, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

It takes a lot more than 1400 miles to seriously mistreat a car, and it is under full warranty anyway. I would go over it with a fine tooth combe for anything visible (like scratches) and make part of the deal that (besides the 4k discount) they fix those also.

The main consideration is does it have all the options you want. Adding an option later is horrendeously expensive.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 2012 was a dealer launch vehicle and I bought it with 600 or so miles on it. And it was an early production one. Just under 20K miles and nothing but normal maintenance. I would shoot for a full detail - polish, wax, the whole bit - not just a wash and wax. I would request a fresh oil change as well. Can't hurt! Good luck!!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bought a 2001 dealer demo Allroad in 2002. The car had 2000 miles on it and they took $2,500 off of invoice (a lot in 2002 dollars). I had it for 3 years (traded it in on my 2005.5 Allroad) and I had literally zero problems with it.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the input. Everyone seems pretty positive about it. It's not my first choice color but it does have the options I want.

Does anyone know if they probably gave this demo to potential customers to take home overnight? Is that a typical Audi practice?

Also, what do you think is a realistic offer to shoot for? Currently standing at $4000 below invoice which is about 6% off invoice. Just trying to get opinions on what point is it a deal that I shouldn't pass up.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine was also an early production 2012 dealer launch vehicle. It was the color and options I wanted and had 1400 miles on it. Sticker was about $74,000, dealer took $3,000 off that, I got a $2,000 loyalty rebate and a decent price for my trade-in. I've only had one issue - a glitch in the adaptive cruise control - which was fixed under warranty. Other than that, I have had no problems whatsoever with this car. When I bought it, they were still brand new and the dealers weren't discounting.

I would definitely do this deal again. You just have to be satisfied that it's the car/options/color/condition you want. And ditto about checking it out closely, especially the paint finish and the wheels. You'll only have one chance to get the dealer to fix anything there.

That being said, I wouldn't worry too much about fine scratches in the paint. The dealers don't take much care when they wash them, no matter how high-end the dealer. Surface damage like that can be repaired by a good detailer - something I'd want to do in any event.

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

Oh, and yes, dealers in Chicago will definitely give a demo to a potential customer overnight.

Last edited by MichaelChicago; 12-31-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by don_keesho
Thanks for the input. Everyone seems pretty positive about it. It's not my first choice color but it does have the options I want.

Does anyone know if they probably gave this demo to potential customers to take home overnight? Is that a typical Audi practice?

Also, what do you think is a realistic offer to shoot for? Currently standing at $4000 below invoice which is about 6% off invoice. Just trying to get opinions on what point is it a deal that I shouldn't pass up.
They offered to let us take both of ours home for the weekend before deciding, so I would say it is atleast some dealer's practice to let you take home to try it out.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by don_keesho
I'm looking to get into an A7 and found a leftover 2012 at my local dealer. Turns out though its a dealer demo vehicle with 1400 miles. It's sold as a new vehicle, not pre-owned, and they seem amenable to $4000 under invoice at least.

I'm looking for some advice and pros and cons of pursuing this deal. I know some folks will focus (-) on the possibility that this car was mistreated and others will focus (+) on the potential for getting a large discount.

I noticed plenty of scratches on the hood as if someone tried to wipe it down with a dirty rag. Not sure if it would buff out easily. Nevertheless it seems to speak to the level of care that was given to the vehicle while in employees hands.

Thoughts?
I had the same situation with my A8. It was a dealer demo that was more shown than driven and with 250 miles was sold as new with $4000 off not counting loyalty. The downside was I could'nt take it home for a month since the dealership had to have it on the lot as it was their only one. In the end I would do it again in a heartbeat. They would not let it be driven after I bought it and it was flawlessly detailed when I picked it up. Well worth the month's wait.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don,
For reference, i just picked up a 2012 A7 for around $3800 under invoice. The car was new with 300 miles. Prestige, 20" sport, side assist and LEDs.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Used Audi

Here are my thoughts. Yes, this is a "used" car. Let me play devils advocate. If I bought an Audi, and pulled it off of the lot with say 20 miles on it (brand new), and went back and said....can I change this (for whatever crazy reason) they would say....you pulled it off of the lot, it is yours, and besides the depreciation immediately kicks in (i.e. the value drops like a rock for a little while until things even out).

This car could be the choice and a good machine (probably is). I have difficulty with the price/value combo. They probably had a lot of great incentives from the factory for this car serving as a pre-production/sale machine to show on the lot. Say people drive it 5 miles per show, that represents 280 potential drivers using this car. There is a cost to this, and in my view, and not a sole way to go I would do the following.

1. - Take the cost of the vehicle with the options (true cost, not invoice)
2. - Deal off of this, "NOT STICKER". Sticker only serves to confuse!
3. - I would look for the deal off of cost as this is not what there true cost is to own/show the car, I would bet the ranch on this.
4. - If they don't go off of cost, minus all incentives currently valid, then I would walk and negotiate a deal on a car that I believe is perfect accordingly to "my" definition of perfection...factory fresh, and german air exudes out of the door when you first open it.

Just another opinion, again recognizing that value is in the mind and eyes of the beholder. No answer is perfect, nor the only way to fly.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Dealer Demo bad idea?