A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Disappointed in Bose Audio

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Disappointed in Bose Audio

Hi All -

Recently (May) got an '12 A7 Prestige in White. And although I love the car my biggest gripe is the quality of the Bose system. I've used Bose systems in other cars (Infiniti) and have been very impressed. But with the Audi its missing the Bass and overall differentiator that other manufactures have. I've had BMW's, Acura's, Lexus, and now Audi. If this is th emiddle of the road Audio system I'd hate to hear the lower end unit.

Is anyone else experiencing the same? I typically listen to songs via iPod or SiriusXM and have listened to the same via the other manufactures Radio's as well.

Thanks in advance for any comments / input.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been too excited by the iPod sourced music in my A7, partly as I have learnt from someone else on here that the input via the AMI cable is converted from digital to analogue.

I have a selection of the same music on two SD cards and the quality is so much better as it is playing directly from the card, ie a digital source. Likewise for any music that you may store on the MMI's hard drive. Not sure why Audi can't get this sorted however having said that I believe that there is another AMI cable that has been released with a different colour connector that provides a pure digital connection, akin to an HDMI type high quality digital connection. May be someone else can clarify.

The difference between the iPod versus the SD card, HDD and even a DVD film source is quite different. If you can try the same music on an SD card and see if it makes a difference to the kind of music that you listen to. Not the ideal answer you were looking for I know, but I don't think the BOSE is 100% to blame, OK the bass could do with a bit more kick but I have been happy with mine so far.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with you about the quality relative to other systems. However, I have begun to re-rip my CDs in high quality MP3 format and it's better. Granted it's a lot of effort, but the quality of the music from my iPhone and sat radio is not real good and the Audi's Bose system shows this.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're going to go through the effort of re-ripping CDs, you might want to consider 320kbps VBR AAC files. Most people find them of better quality/gb than high bitrate MP3s. They are the highest quality file format that the Audi MMI can play. If you go into Preferences->General on iTunes and click on Import Settings... you'll see the option.

muski

P.S. If you want your album artwork to display, make sure it's not larger than 800 x 800 pixels.