A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Eibach Pro Kit Springs On Non Sport Struts/Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibach Pro Kit Springs On Non Sport Struts/Shocks?

Hi all,

So I just ordered a set of Eibach Pro Kit springs for my NON-Sport suspension A7, running 19" wheels.

I'm starting to get a bit concerned that the non-sport struts/shocks may not be able to handle the Eibach's and I'll prematurely blow out the non-sport OEM struts/shocks. Can anyone comment on this? Has anyone here done Eibach's or H&R's on OEM non-sport struts/shocks?

Assuming this is a bad idea, what would the recommend be for a full package? I know H&R does coilovers but I wanted to go with Eibach for the slightly better ride quality over the H&R's. Didn't really want to spend the bread on a full upgrade either, just tring to mitigate a bit of body roll.

I was considering the Stasis suspension upgrade and not once did the Stasis rep or the Audi service manager ever mention that the stock OEM struts/shocks would be in danger of premature failure, both of which knew I was looking to upgrade the springs on a non sport suspension.

I feel like I'm getting conflicting info, can someone help shed some light? I'm supposed to have the Eibach's installed this Wednesday.

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Hi all,

So I just ordered a set of Eibach Pro Kit springs for my NON-Sport suspension A7, running 19" wheels.

I'm starting to get a bit concerned that the non-sport struts/shocks may not be able to handle the Eibach's and I'll prematurely blow out the non-sport OEM struts/shocks. Can anyone comment on this? Has anyone here done Eibach's or H&R's on OEM non-sport struts/shocks?

Assuming this is a bad idea, what would the recommend be for a full package? I know H&R does coilovers but I wanted to go with Eibach for the slightly better ride quality over the H&R's. Didn't really want to spend the bread on a full upgrade either, just tring to mitigate a bit of body roll.

I was considering the Stasis suspension upgrade and not once did the Stasis rep or the Audi service manager ever mention that the stock OEM struts/shocks would be in danger of premature failure, both of which knew I was looking to upgrade the springs on a non sport suspension.

I feel like I'm getting conflicting info, can someone help shed some light? I'm supposed to have the Eibach's installed this Wednesday.

Thanks.
I hace the same set but with 20s, non sport shocks, I really don't think you will have any problem, I don't feel anything wrong with my car besides better handling and the comfort is still there (even with the 20s) relax you will like them without spending on a full setup. You will love them.

Last edited by feralc; 05-05-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by feralc
I hace the same sep but with 20s, non sport shocks, I really don't think ou will have any problem, I don't feel anything wrong with my car besides better handling and the comfort is still there (even with the 20s) relax you will like them without spending on a full setup. You will love them.
Thanks Feralc, good to hear. How long on your setup now? Also, you didn't go with spacers, correct?

Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm starting to get a bit concerned that the non-sport struts/shocks may not be able to handle the Eibach's and I'll prematurely blow out the non-sport OEM struts/shocks. Can anyone comment on this?
The only danger of using older OEM struts with lowering springs is if the stem was damaged or had corrosion, it might damage the top seal. If the change was being made on a older car, it would be advisable to change the struts because of the seal scenario and because the struts are worn and it's a ideal time to change them.

Your struts are relatively new so you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
The only danger of using older OEM struts with lowering springs is if the stem was damaged or had corrosion, it might damage the top seal. If the change was being made on a older car, it would be advisable to change the struts because of the seal scenario and because the struts are worn and it's a ideal time to change them.

Your struts are relatively new so you shouldn't have a problem.
Yeah, I only have about 9500 miles on the car so the struts are in good shape. I've just heard varying opinions on how the spring rates of the Eibach's are not set up for non-sport struts/shocks and that they will fail way prematurely.

I don't want to stiffen the ride with either coilovers or sport struts/shocks so this seemed my best alternative to mitigating the A7's pronounced bodyroll in stock setup.

I believe you're running H&R's correct? If so, are you running thoe on the stock or sport suspension and for how long now.

Thenks for the input Tenspeed.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I've just heard varying opinions on how the spring rates of the Eibach's are not set up for non-sport struts/shocks and that they will fail way prematurely.
Time will tell if that is true. I haven't heard of any failures so far and I wouldn't buy new struts. If I had high miles on the struts or if everyone reported leaks, I would install new struts.

I don't want to stiffen the ride with either coilovers or sport struts/shocks so this seemed my best alternative to mitigating the A7's pronounced bodyroll in stock setup.
If you want less body roll, install larger sway bars (if you can find them).

Lowering and sport springs are going to firm up the ride. Shocks and struts are designed to help keep your tires on the road. They control the action of the spring.

I believe you're running H&R's correct? If so, are you running the on the stock or sport suspension and for how long now.
I don't have an Audi yet. I do have experience with suspensions and I have installed my own springs and struts.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Banned

Thanks Feralc, good to hear. How long on your setup now? Also, you didn't go with spacers, correct?

Thanks again!
I installed last year, and everything is perfect, you will need to align the car though.
No spacers for me, and looks perfect that way.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by feralc
I installed last year, and everything is perfect, you will need to align the car though.
No spacers for me, and looks perfect that way.
Thanks Feralc,

I assumed I would need an alignment after. How did you know you needed one, pulling...excessive wear?

i see you have a Diavel, great bike! I have an MV Agusta Brutale 910S, love the Italian bikes!!

Thanks again for all your input.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I assumed I would need an alignment after. How did you know you needed one, pulling...excessive wear?
Everything gets taken apart and put back together. Some stuff is going to move. Just the facts that tires are expensive and the car is lower is good enough reason to align it. Here's a shot of the front end.

Name:  suspension02_zps7f85e85f.jpg
Views: 4199
Size:  63.6 KB
Old 05-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Banned

Thanks Feralc,

i see you have a Diavel, great bike! I have an MV Agusta Brutale 910S, love the Italian bikes!!

Thanks again for all your input.
The shop put the car in the machine and it showed off numbers, I had to go back a second time though, the rear left tire was toe in excessively, even at naked eye.
I love my bike, I wish I could use it more often, I used to go to work in it, now only once a week if I can.

Quick Reply: Eibach Pro Kit Springs On Non Sport Struts/Shocks?