A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Engine start system fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gophermobile
Well the difficulty is that it's intermittent so they think they have it solved but it's not really. I'm just trying to avoid having to take it in again and again while they go down the troubleshooting checklist.

It's my first time owning a car with a warranty...I stepped up from a 15 year old car to this so it's a new experience. I'm not the type to yell / complain / argue with technicians but it'd be nice if they were more aggressive with trying to replace other components rather than just trying the basics.
The tech I spoke to had no clue. Since it went away after sometimes, they couldn't trouble shooting the problem.
Mine is not as bad as yours as it didn't ding.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by joinaudi
The tech I spoke to had no clue. Since it went away after sometimes, they couldn't trouble shooting the problem.
Mine is not as bad as yours as it didn't ding.
Thank you for finding this so long after your original post. So your problem just went away completely? Mine is definitely not resolving itself...I went on a long drive during Thanksgiving and it dinged 12 times during the drive. The dealer is replacing the wiring and harness between the start button and the ECU now. I still don't think it makes sense, but this time I opted to use the loaner car at least so I don't really care how long they keep it to test it out.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did dealer ever find out what is causing the Engine Start System warning message to come ON? And if so would you mind sharing the resolution? I am experiencing same problem. I bought a used 2013 A6 3.0T about a month ago and the Engine Start System Fault came on intermittently about 6 times. I have not contacted the dealer yet nor switched the key FOB battery. Yesterday I switched the keys thus I can not tell yet if the problem is with the key or elsewhere. Thx
Old 12-27-2015, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

This is starting to sound like an intermittent faulty sensor somewhere. Doubtful it's a key fob issue or there would be a different message in the DIS.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It may be worth asking the dealer to check the electrical connections to the ECU, especially if the vehicle was repaired under the fuel rail recall campaign. Depending on how the fix was performed, engine coolant may have sprayed onto the ECU and seeped into the 96 pin connector. The coolant will corrode the connections over time. Had the issue with my vehicle. ECU was swapped out. All is good.

Enjoy the ride.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry I did not get back to this thread with my fix! It made me pretty frustrated after taking it into the dealer so many times.

Anyhow...according to the techs, it was the "Comfort Control Module".

Here's the repair report from the dealer. Sounds like they tried taking apart the entire interior to fix it and it still recurred!

I actually ended up just getting rid of the A6. I really wanted to love it, but it gave me another issue while trying to go up skiing over the weekend. I live in LA and everyone else was trying to go then...so ended up stuck in traffic for about 6 hours on the way to Big Bear. Something in the car was overheating and it smelled like burning plastic around the pop-up screen area. My passenger and I both noticed, we ended up turning the A/C on as it was the only way we could get it to cool down that area, even though it was about 35F out. Turning the regular vents on all the way cold just blew out very warm air. I'm sure I could have taken it to the dealer again...but it was another difficult-to-troubleshoot issue that I just got tired of dealing with. These weren't the only two issues. Just seemed like every time an issue came up, it required multiple trips to the dealer. In the year and four months that I owned it, I think I had been to the dealer about 9 times.

Last edited by gophermobile; 01-23-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the reply and provided information. I had no re-occurrence for the past month but I stopped at the dealer explaining the concern but they were unaware of any known issues. So hopefully whatever the problem is, it will be remedied before my warranty expires in May.
Thanks again,
Old 09-19-2019, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Ya I having same error message any easy fix pls or any suggestions would help just lI

Originally Posted by joinaudi
I got this on the MMI yesterday again: "Engine start system fault, please contact dealer". But it disappeared today.
It already happened 3 times in the past 2 months. I called the dealer, he didn't have clue. Since it disappeared after a day, I haven't sent it in for checkup.

Did anyone get the same issue?
ya I am having same error message engine system fault pls help if anyone went through with same message . Thanks
Old 01-06-2020, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Kinchit Doshi
ya I am having same error message engine system fault pls help if anyone went through with same message . Thanks
Were you able to get this resolved? I am getting the same error on my A6. Have been to the dealer 4 times: They replaced the start button, replaced the battery in both key fobs, and reprogrammed both key fobs. The message still shows up intermittently and than goes away. It happens with both key fobs.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I have the same problem

Originally Posted by fkaufman
He said that he did: "The dealer has replaced the start button on the car, and now they are replacing the key batteries. I already replaced one of the key batteries myself, so I don't think that's the issue."

my car is doing the same thing but sometimes it doesn’t start for me And I get the symbol for the push to start on my dashboard

Quick Reply: Engine start system fault