A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Front License Plate -- Yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate -- Yay or nay?

So I love the look of a clean front end on all Audi's, but I live in WA state and they require the front plate, which blows. I've seen a few on here w/out and wondering if anyone's getting flack from the cops?
Old 09-10-2012, 12:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

front plate required in CA... but NEVER a problem in LA.

I find keeping dealer plate on rear of car helps.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by steelblue7
So I love the look of a clean front end on all Audi's, but I live in WA state and they require the front plate, which blows. I've seen a few on here w/out and wondering if anyone's getting flack from the cops?

Nope, never in 6 years. 5 years in my Acura RL and 1 year in A7, both without the front plate. Maybe knock on wood?
Old 09-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting. I thought cops would love having a reason to pull you over.... especially Aquarian in Bellevue. Perhaps I'll take the plate/plate holder off and roll the dice. But with my luck, I'll have a couple beers and get stopped
Old 09-10-2012, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default "Screwed" in Illinois.

Literally.
I drove every car I've owned without one, until my neighborhood found it to be a very lucrative business to crack down on it last year. It took me three tickets ($25 each) and one stop (I claimed I was going to the dealer to have the mount installed) for me to finally break down and drill. I hate having it there. Absolutely hate it, but that's the law here.

I'm looking onto an A6 or S6 in Q1 2013 and I don't think I will mind it as much due to the grill design, but I still think it sucks.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 388 Likes on 349 Posts

Agreed. As much as I hate a front plate on these cars, I'd figure out what the penalties (fines and/or points on DL) are in your location prior to removing it You may decide it's just not worth having unwanted conversations with the local law enforcement folks...
Old 09-10-2012, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by steelblue7
Interesting. I thought cops would love having a reason to pull you over.... especially Aquarian in Bellevue. Perhaps I'll take the plate/plate holder off and roll the dice. But with my luck, I'll have a couple beers and get stopped

I think it may be because there are way more cars without the front plate on the Eastside that the cops just don't bother. I am talking about high-end luxury cars...
Old 09-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in sales and drive all over Los Angeles, it is not the police that are giving out the front plate tickets it's the meter maids. Even if you have money in the meter there will be a ticket on your windshield. They have been trained to look for no front plates to generate revenue. After a few tickets I broke down and put the plate on my A8. So when my A7 came in I was not going to risk it. The front looks a hundred times better without it. I envy the those in states that do not require a front plate.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

7 years living in San Diego and never a problem, only once the cop mentioned it no ticket though, neither my A7 nor my wife's cayenne nor my previous SL55 nor my 911 carrera had a front plate, I just hate it, being pulled over so many times but the cops never cared, not even the meter maids as previously mentioned, but I don't park on the street often, 25 dlls for fix it ticket for a clean look is worth it but obviously the odds have been in my favor,if I am bother that often maybe I will change my mind.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aquarian
I think it may be because there are way more cars without the front plate on the Eastside that the cops just don't bother. I am talking about high-end luxury cars...
That is a very good point. I never see A7's in Snohomish County but I do in King, especially Bellevue. My car sticks out like a Ferrari where I live in Snohomish. I can imagine cops pulling me over here vs. the Eastside for sure..

Quick Reply: Front License Plate -- Yay or nay?