A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Google Removed from A7 Specs

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Google Removed from A7 Specs

Originally the feature list for the A7 on AudiUSA showed the Google and WLAN as standard on one of the packages. They must have removed it because its no longer showing up.

This coincides with the comments on the A8 (D4) forum saying that the Google Earth mapping will be pushed until the MY2012.

Disappointing...
Old 02-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that really, really sucks. I was getting ready to order one of these things, but now I am not sure. There are so many features missing from the US version it's really starting to **** me off. If Audi wants to continue to treat us like second class citizens, I don't see how they can make their ambitious US sales goals. We have purchased about a dozen Audis over the years and currently have two, but this A7 stuff is making me think about looking elsewhere.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We who demand specific options are the minority. Most of the people who buy Audi in this country just need the four rings and they're happy. I'm a little cheesed off at some of the options they are omitting as well, so the only thing I can do is hold out and hope the car that Im driving is good for the waiting period. Its a battle for price points and volume selling; but I hear you and feel the same.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by athensga
Wow, that really, really sucks.
I completely agree with this!!
I hope this will change with MY 2012. If their colleagues can do this for the Porsche Panamera, the people at Audi surely can do this. The A7 will not be an inexpensive car and people that are paying this "type of price" will want to individually option their car.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I'm waiting....

I agree with everyone here. It absolutely sucks that we in the U.S. are so limited with how and what we can order on the A7 (or new A6). They tout all of the options in their press releases yet pull back many of the more desirable ones for the U.S. Audi/Volkswagen have such grand plans to expand sales here yet you'd never know it based on their strategy of treating the U.S. market so differently than in Europe or even in China.

I want to test drive the A7 when it finally arrives here but I am NOT going to order one unless I can order all of the options I want. It's that simple. In the meantime, I'll be content in my '08 A8L which I bought out at the end of my lease. The A8L's residual was almost $10K less than what I can sell it for now. It's a great car. I still can't get over the midget trunk the D4 A8 now has! It makes no sense for the size of the car. And the fact that it looks so much like a giant A4 is irritating. I looked at one again today with a 2009 A8L sitting next to it and the D4 is just not that attractive.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

My guess is the issue has to do with finding a mobile carrier to provide the service. In Europe they are standardized on GSM phones and SIM cards. Thus having a slot for SIM card is a perfect solution for all.

In the US/Canada we have GSM and CDMA and CDMA phones do not have an extractable SIM card. So my guess is that Audi North America is looking for a single provider to provide the service.

I'm also thinking they are waiting for carriers 4G network to expand. They already annouced in mid February that Audi Connect is embracing 4G so that might be part of the hold up.

I just hope its a retro fit, but doubtful
Old 03-05-2011, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagoA6
My guess is the issue has to do with finding a mobile carrier to provide the service. In Europe they are standardized on GSM phones and SIM cards. Thus having a slot for SIM card is a perfect solution for all.

In the US/Canada we have GSM and CDMA and CDMA phones do not have an extractable SIM card. So my guess is that Audi North America is looking for a single provider to provide the service.

I'm also thinking they are waiting for carriers 4G network to expand. They already annouced in mid February that Audi Connect is embracing 4G so that might be part of the hold up.

I do believe you've hit the nail on the head---perhaps on both counts. Heard last Fall that they were searching for a workable agreement with a mobile carrier here; and very likely that involves 4G technology.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chicagoA6

Yes. You are correct on all parts here. I will be at the A7 launch this month for a further update.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audi32
Yes. You are correct on all parts here. I will be at the A7 launch this month for a further update.
Please be sure to ask about this feature and when we can expect to see it here in the US, when you are at the product intro. Inquiring minds need to know...
Old 03-17-2011, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just got back from the A6/A7 launch in Dallas. What you are referring to is called Audi Connect and it is awesome. Fully integrated google earth, with full online wiki information for points of interest. The car is its own WIFI hotspot and you can connect up to 8 devices.

The car will come with its own sim card and six months at no charge from date of purchase. After that its about $30 a month.

Not only can you see where the next gas station is, but you can compare them by price per gallon for all three grades of fuel.

I will upload some screen shots shortly in my full write up.

The car is amazing and the longer wheel base over the A6 is felt. Power will be increased at 310HP and 325trq.

We get the 8 speed auto in the US

Quick Reply: Google Removed from A7 Specs